"To me, my X-Men" -- where was it said?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

"To me, my X-Men" -- where was it said?

Post by JephYork »

When did Prof. X first say "To me, my X-Men!"?

He says "return to me, my X-Men" in the last panel of #1, but that "To me" phrase has been popularized SO MUCH that I'm pretty sure it was said elsewhere. Anyone know?

-Jeph!
Nathan P. Mahney
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: "To me, my X-Men" -- where was it said?

Post by Nathan P. Mahney »

Seriously, I have no idea, and I've read all of the core X-Men books multiple times. The first time I recall seeing it was during Morrison's run, but it was definitely popularised by then. It's a puzzler.
- Nathan P. Mahney -
SeanCurtin
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by SeanCurtin »

I recall it being spoofed by Pete Wisdom during Ellis's run on Excalibur, so it must have been pretty well established by then.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Yeah, it's been referenced in Excalibur #93, New X-Men #116 and Astonishing X-Men v3 #23.

Driving me up the wall trying to figure out its origin ... I had always had it in my mind that it came from the first page of #1, where Prof. X calls the X-Men to him ... but no, he says something else there. This is odd.

Could it be a corruption of #1's "Return to me, my X-Men"?

-Jeph!
Ocean Doot
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ocean Doot »

jephyork wrote:Yeah, it's been referenced in Excalibur #93, New X-Men #116 and Astonishing X-Men v3 #23.

Driving me up the wall trying to figure out its origin ... I had always had it in my mind that it came from the first page of #1, where Prof. X calls the X-Men to him ... but no, he says something else there. This is odd.

Could it be a corruption of #1's "Return to me, my X-Men"?

-Jeph!
I've seen it in comics as far back as the 80s, but yeah, it's a myth that it appeared in X-Men #1. I assume it is indeed a corruption of "Return to me, my X-Men."

I imagine it belongs in the same category as phrases like "Elementary, my dear Watson" and "Beam me up, Scotty" -- things that never actually appeared in the texts (or TV series) that they supposedly quote.
Last edited by Somebody on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: If you want to tick "Disable BBCode", don't then use [quote] :)
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

Ocean Doot wrote:I've seen it in comics as far back as the 80s, but yeah, it's a myth that it appeared in X-Men #1. I assume it is indeed a corruption of "Return to me, my X-Men."
I wonder which came into prominence first, Silver Surfer's "To me, my board" or Prof's similar line.