Manslaughter Marsdale

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Manslaughter Marsdale

Post by Paul Bourcier »

DARK REIGN: ZODIAC #1 features a flashback in which Spider-Man is fighting a guy named Manslaughter Marsdale. I don't recall this guy anywhere. Can anyone shed light on any of his previous appearances, if any?
Paul B.
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Manslaughter Marsdale

Post by Peter Fabricius »

Your wish is my command. :wink:

He has 2 previous appearances that I know of
Amazing Spider-Man 271 "Whatever Happened to Crusher Hogan?", where he is the right-hand man of Madame Fang, who runs the Gym where Crusher Hogan is working ad a janitor.
And Amazing Spider-Man 309 "Styx and Stone", in the same role.

I can't find any other appearances of him. But I have both of the above comics.
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks, Peter. I actually have ASM 271 and checked it to see if the FB in DR:Z was to that issue, but no, Spidey is in his classic red-and-blues in the FB and in his symbiote costume in ASM 271. So, if the FB (actually a FB within a FB) in DR:Z 1 is indeed to a previously published fight, it must be the one in ASM 309. (This week's Official Index #7 states that ASM 309 is Marsdale's last appearance to date; that will need updating.) Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of ASM 309 to check. Is DR:Z 1-FB=FB a piece of new content that fits within ASM 309?

BTW, I didn't see a listing for Mr. Marsdale in the MCP.
Paul B.
Lonewolf36
Hero
Hero

Post by Lonewolf36 »

Looks like he only made the 2 appearances.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/manmar.htm
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

It fits very well with the flashback on page 11, Spider-Man is in the red and blue costume in 307, and Marsdale's pose is almost exactly the same as on page 1 of Amazing 307. Spider-Man is in a slightly different pose.
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Peter Fabricius wrote:
It fits very well with the flashback on page 11, Spider-Man is in the red and blue costume in 307, and Marsdale's pose is almost exactly the same as on page 1 of Amazing 307. Spider-Man is in a slightly different pose.
So I guess the question is if Spidey's slightly different pose in DR:Z 1-FB-FB (11:2), which may occur a second before or after ASM 307 (1), qualifies the new flashback as original material. If so, I guess I'd suggest placement right before ASM 307 to simplify the listing.
Paul B.
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

It can easily fit just before Amazing 309. Spidey seems to be just a little closer to the front of Marsdale in the flashback, and in Amazing 309 he ends up behind Marsdale on page 2, so it seems best to place it before 309 page 1 based on movement.

I don't know why I wrote 307 earlier, it is 309.