Skaar #12

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Skaar #12

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Because of the tie-in with Hulk, I picked up SKAAR: SON OF HULK #12. Is this supposed to occur right after PLANET SKAAR: PROLOGUE #1? There are flashbacks in this issue concerning Caiera, Skaar, the Surfer, and Galactus. I assume this is all a retread of previously published scenes from the first 11 issues of SKAAR? Is there any new material here?
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Skaar #12

Post by Somebody »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Because of the tie-in with Hulk, I picked up SKAAR: SON OF HULK #12. Is this supposed to occur right after PLANET SKAAR: PROLOGUE #1? There are flashbacks in this issue concerning Caiera, Skaar, the Surfer, and Galactus. I assume this is all a retread of previously published scenes from the first 11 issues of SKAAR? Is there any new material here?
Skaar #11 comes between the PSKR Prologue and #12. Some of the material is a retread of material in #11 (which, in turn, was composed of flashbacks that took place between SKR 10 and PSKR:PRO), some is new.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks for the info, Somebody. Kevin, I see you're signed up for an analysis of SKR 2-11. Would you be able to include the new material from the flashbacks in SKR 12 as well?
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Here's a quick panel-by-panel breakdown for now. There was more in Skaar #10 than I recalled:

SKR 12/2 (3:2)-FB ~ vague, probably between SKR 9 (19:4) and (19:5)
SKR 12/2 (3:3)-FB = SKR 10 (15:1)
SKR 12/2 (3:4)-FB = SKR 10 (21:1)
SKR 12/2 (3:5)-FB = SKR 10 (23)
SKR 12/2 (4:1)-FB = New, I suppose, alongside the SKR 11 FBs with no shared characters. It fits... poorly, however (Surfer had changed out of the gladiator clothes, and this seems almost as if it was meant to be SKR 10 (22:2-22:3), but the location, costuming, timing and words beyond the initial speech balloon are all off, meaning it's just an awkward repetition)
SKR 12/2 (4:2)-FB = SKR 11 (11:4)-FB
SKR 12/2 (4:3-7:4)-FB = New
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks, Somebody. Are there really two stories in SKR 12, or just one story composed of two parts connected by a "meanwhile?" Where would the new material in 4:3-7:4 go?
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Thanks, Somebody. Are there really two stories in SKR 12, or just one story composed of two parts connected by a "meanwhile?"
Well, the page before ends in "TO BE CONTINUED IN INCREDIBLE HULK #601", there's a different artist, and the latter part has its' own credit box and "TO BE CONTINUED IN SON OF HULK #13" (no longer "Skaar: SoH", he's leaving the book entirely, it seems). The "Meanwhile, on the other side of the universe" caption kind of blurs it, I suppose, but I lean strongly toward two stories.
Paul Bourcier wrote:Where would the new material in 4:3-7:4 go?
Last out of all this stuff, immediately preceding PSKR:PRO.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks for the clarification, Somebody.

The "meanwhile" isn't the only thing that leads me to treat SKR 12 as one story.
The second part has no separate title.

Given the change in title, is it wise to use "SKR" as the code for the first 12 issues of the SON OF HULK series? Would a consistent use of "SOH" from the beginning be better?
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Paul Bourcier wrote:The "meanwhile" isn't the only thing that leads me to treat SKR 12 as one story.
The second part has no separate title.
Marvel aren't usually shy about crediting two sets of artists in one credits box, sometimes with page ranges and sometimes without even that. Given that all the credits for the second part are in that part (including Greg Pak, who writes both parts), AND the separate "continued in" blurbs which I've never seen in the middle of a story, I'd go with "two stories".
Paul Bourcier wrote:Given the change in title, is it wise to use "SKR" as the code for the first 12 issues of the SON OF HULK series? Would a consistent use of "SOH" from the beginning be better?
Thing is, #10 and #11 drop the SOH subtitle from the cover logo (I haven't checked the indicia). And the Planet Skaar Prologue is completely without "Son of Hulk" anywhere. Given that there's a seemingly different lead character, it's an outright title change, like Tales to Astonish->Hulk or Incredible Hulk->Incredible Hercules, and I think the code should reflect that.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

So the book's gone from SKAAR: SON OF HULK, to SKAAR, to SON OF HULK?

Awesome. :)

-Jeph!
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Somebody wrote:Thing is, #10 and #11 drop the SOH subtitle from the cover logo (I haven't checked the indicia). And the Planet Skaar Prologue is completely without "Son of Hulk" anywhere.
Despite the lack of the subtitle on the covers of #10 and 11, the indicia of those issues give the name of the series as still being SKAAR: SON OF HULK. I'm guessing that that will only actually be changed once SON OF HULK #13 arrives.

Don Campbell
Kevin W.
Director
Director

Post by Kevin W. »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Thanks for the info, Somebody. Kevin, I see you're signed up for an analysis of SKR 2-11. Would you be able to include the new material from the flashbacks in SKR 12 as well?
Sorry for the delayed response, but: yes.

Look for my analysis to come in the next few days...
Keeping track of Bendis References since 2001!