Chris Claremont ghost-scripting some X-Men issues

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Chris Claremont ghost-scripting some X-Men issues

Post by JephYork »

About ten years ago, during the publication of the "Apocalypse: the Twelve" saga, I heard a rumor that Chris Claremont had ghost-scripted about four of the issues. I believe they were X-Men #93, 95 and 96, and Uncanny #379. The "tell" (except for #93) was that the issue had no scripter credit -- whereas Terry Kavanagh, both books' regular scripter, was credited on all other issues around that time.

Can anyone help me substantiate this? Claremont was readying for his big return in X #100/UX #380 around this time, and the style of those issues certainly SEEMS very much like Claremont's. But I can't recall where I read the rumor...

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Chris Claremont ghost-scripting some X-Men issues

Post by Somebody »

I don't know that it was ever proven, other than that the scripting - along with certain aspects of the plot - in the "no powers" story was Claremontian to the point that if it wasn't Claremont himself, it was someone trying to ape him as much as humanly possible.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Hmm, I just found this, so apparently I'm not alone in recalling the situation:
Editor Mark Powers later confirmed that Claremont ghost-scripted three issues during this run, and Claremont mentioned in an interview that he worked uncredited on some comics that were running late
But I could use some better confirmation than "ten years later, a blogger says that Chris and an editor said it".

-Jeph!
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Paul O'Brien also mentionned the rumor at the time.