Coming from Marvel in October

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in October

Post by JD »

Again, I'm quite late with this, since once again Marvel removed a couple of high-profile books from their solicitations, and I had to wait for a copy of Marvel Previews to be sure I hadn't missed anything.

So for the incomplete solicitations at Newsarama, as usual : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090721- ... tions.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=22116
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2009-10 (they still haven't bothered with updating their website for the stuff missing from September !)

I've put the "new" stuff in blue.

So, without further ado :

NEW SERIES

- DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1, by Remender & Palo, spins out of the recent events in NEW AVENGERS.

- WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #1, which is basically a relaunch of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY with a lower price and page-count. It includes SPIDER-GIRL stories reprinted from the website, as well as the return of Kaine to regular continuity.

NEW MINISERIES

- X-MEN VS. AGENTS OF ATLAS #1 (of 2), by Parker & Pagulayan. Basically, AGENTS OF ATLAS is now on hiatus as a regular title ; after this mini, it'll become a back-up strip in INCREDIBLE HERCULES, until the next relaunch.

- DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1 (of 3), by Gillen & Nord

- X-BABIES #1 (of 4), by Schigiel & Chabot.

- SPIDER-MAN 1602 #1 (of 5), by Parker & Rosanas. Just like House of M, 1602 is a franchise that refuses to die yet.

- THE STAND: SOUL SURVIVORS #1 (of 5), by Aguirre-Sacasa and Perkins. You know the deal by now.
- ANITA BLAKE, THE LAUGHING CORPSE - EXECUTIONER #1 (of 5), by Hamilton, Ruffner & Lim.

ONESHOTS

- X-FORCE/NEW MUTANTS: NECROSHA kicks off a semi-crossover between X-FORCE, NEW MUTANTS and X-MEN: LEGACY (and is co-written by all the writers of those series, with art by Crain). The main story will continue in X-FORCE, with tie-in arcs starting in X-MEN: LEGACY #228 and NEW MUTANTS #6.

- This month's string of DARK REIGN: THE LIST one-shots :
* DARK REIGN: THE LIST - SECRET WARRIORS, by Hickman & McGuiness
* DARK REIGN: THE LIST - PUNISHER, by Remender & JRJR
* DARK REIGN: THE LIST - HULK , by Pak & Oliver
* DARK REIGN: THE LIST - WOLVERINE, by Aaron & Ribic.

- DEADPOOL #900 : okay, now they're just taking the piss. But hey, the creative teams on this anthology are impressive for the most part.

- IRON MAN: IRON PROTOCOLS, by Venditti & Nelson

- MARVEL HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR features some Christmas stories in October.

- MARVEL ZOMBIES: EVIL EVOLUTION, by Kesel & DiSalvo, is a crossover between MARVEL ZOMBIES & MARVEL APES. Because you demanded it.

- Glorified fill-ins :
* CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: GHOSTS OF MY COUNTRY, by Jenkins and "to be disclosed"

NOTABLE ISSUES

- Shipping twice this month : INCREDIBLE HERCULES (#136-137), and X-MEN FOREVER (#9-10).

- DAREDEVIL #501 sees Diggle & De La Torre taking over the title.

- They didn't indicate it until the last moment, by Gage has started co-writing MIGHTY AVENGERS as of #27. Slott is too busy with ASM yet again...

- THUNDERBOLTS #137 is Diggle's last issue. Already ?

- ASTONISHING X-MEN returns with issue #31, with Jimenez on art.

- PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE MAX ends with #75, though they're already trailing the relaunch.

- UNCANNY X-MEN: FIRST CLASS is no longer solicited as a miniseries. Hum...

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- AGENTS OF ATLAS : see above
- RUNAWAYS : uh oh... Maybe a relaunch soon ?
- THOR : They're probably waiting for the JMS run to actually end before starting soliciting the rest.
- CAPTAIN AMERICA : on hiatus during REBORN, of course.
- EXILES : cancelled with #6
- MARVEL ADVENTURES THE AVENGERS : missing for two months running, so I assume it's really gone.

PRICE WATCH
Follow Marvel's price hikes in real time ! (for MU regular titles only)

- 104 pages for $4.99 : DEADPOOL #900
- 48 pages for $4.99 : PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE MAX #75
- 48 pages for $3.99 : WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #1, X-FACTOR #50
- 40 pages for $3.99 : INCREDIBLE HULK #603
- 32 pages for $3.99 : ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #3, ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #3, DARK AVENGERS #10, DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1, HULK #16, NEW AVENGERS #58, WOLVERINE WEAPON X #6, X-MEN FOREVER #9 & 10

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Doctor Strange v4, Atlas Era Jungle Adventure v1, and a TPB version of Amazing Spider-Man v3
- Essentials : Ghost Rider v3

- WOLVERINE ART APPRECIATION is a TPB of all those variant covers from April.

- an HC version of X-MEN: ASGARDIAN WARS

- SPIDER-MAN: THE SHORT HALLOWEEN PREMIERE HC also collects material from ASM FAMILY #6-8

- THING: PROJECT PEGASUS PREMIERE HC

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Coming from Marvel in October

Post by Somebody »

JD wrote:- DEADPOOL #900 : okay, now they're just taking the piss. But hey, the creative teams on this anthology are impressive for the most part.
Next month: Deadpool Team-Up #899! (according to Rich Johnson, anyway)
JD wrote:- THUNDERBOLTS #137 is Diggle's last issue. Already ?
Apparently, it was this or Daredevil. Jeff Parker's taking over.

Incidentally, there was an indication in the interview at CBR about Parker taking over that they've swapped #136 (a fill-in by Rick Remender, involving Cage & Iron Fist) and #137, so that the earlier issue will be Diggle's last and the fill-in will actually bridge the runs.
JD wrote:- MARVEL ADVENTURES THE AVENGERS : missing for two months running, so I assume it's really gone.
They're staking up the MAdv line - all but MAdv Spider-Man and MAdv Super Heroes have been cancelled, and the latter is going to get a regular lineup, involving its' own Avengers team (no connection to the team from MAdv Avengers).
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Coming from Marvel in October

Post by JLH »

JD wrote:- DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1, by Remender & Palo, spins out of the recent events in NEW AVENGERS.
Uhh, they do realize that the "Doctor" part of Dr Strange's name isn't associated with his being Sorcerer Supreme, right? This would be like saying anyone who takes over Latveria must be called "Doctor" as well because Doom was.
JD wrote: as well as the return of Kaine to regular continuity.
By JM DeMatteis, the guy who always wrote him best.
JD wrote:- SPIDER-MAN 1602 #1 (of 5), by Parker & Rosanas. Just like House of M, 1602 is a franchise that refuses to die yet.
Great, now you just gave them an idea for "House of M 1602 on the Marvel Apes world featuring Marvel Zombies".
JD wrote:* DARK REIGN: THE LIST - PUNISHER, by Remender & JRJR
JRJR doing Punisher again? Huh, it's been more than a decade, I believe. Looking forward to it.
JD wrote:- MARVEL HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR features some Christmas stories in October.
Ahh, the Christmas tales. The bane of every one of Paul's calendars.
JD wrote:- MARVEL ZOMBIES: EVIL EVOLUTION, by Kesel & DiSalvo, is a crossover between MARVEL ZOMBIES & MARVEL APES. Because you demanded it.
I do hope it's titled "99 Dead Baboons".
JD wrote:* CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: GHOSTS OF MY COUNTRY, by Jenkins and "to be disclosed"
I cringe at the fact they've been devoting an entire line of Cap one-shots to a British writer. I guess it's revenge for years of Claremont writing Excalibur!
JD wrote:- They didn't indicate it until the last moment, by Gage has started co-writing MIGHTY AVENGERS as of #27. Slott is too busy with ASM yet again...
I could understand the conflict if he was the sole writer for ASM, yet he's one of what has ballooned out to a dozen writers of the "Spidey Brain Trust".