How "gospel" is the Marvel Saga timeline?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

How "gospel" is the Marvel Saga timeline?

Post by Chris McCarver »

I've been playing a bit more on my personal timeline thingie and had noticed that the MCP listings had a few differences from the overall ordering from M/SAGA. Just wondering how much effect their timeline had on the MCP.
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: How "gospel" is the Marvel Saga timeline?

Post by Somebody »

They have a priority level between a comic and a Handbook, IIRC - they're followed unless events in actual stories make the order they give untenable.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Russ can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe MARVEL SAGA was used as a resource, but if Marvel Indexes published later contradicted the SAGA's chronology, the MCP reflects the Indexes. Also, further chronological analysis independent of the Indexes may have forced a correction of SAGA chronology.
Paul B.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

To me, the Saga trumps the Indexes -- in the same way that a story would trump an index. Saga is eventually revealed to be the narration of the Watcher -- and if anyone would know what they're talking about, it's him.

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Jeph wrote:
To me, the Saga trumps the Indexes -- in the same way that a story would trump an index. Saga is eventually revealed to be the narration of the Watcher -- and if anyone would know what they're talking about, it's him.
But there's a lot of chronological data in the Saga that's not part of the Watcher's Saga. Remember the Coninuity Corner boxes on the inside back covers? Those have the same status as the Indexes, but if later Indexes contradict the Continuity Corner texts, the Indexes generally trump those texts.
Paul B.
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

I have the same kind of question for the numerous Handbooks that were published before the current Indexes. I'm trying to work on the numerous FB for Bruce Banner that happen before H 1. I believe the latest entry for Hulk in a Handbook is in the World War Hulk : Gamma Files from 2007. A lot of FB are listed here, and a detailed chronology is given in the OHOTMU pages of the marvel.com site. Shall I stick to it as the official version and just check if I don't see anything incoherent ?
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Chris McCarver »

Yeah, as I mentioned in my opening post, I've found a couple of places in the "Year One" period where M/SAGA and the MCP differ.

For one: M/SAGA has UX 7 coming before ASM@ 1 (with TOS 58 sandwiched between), yet all of the founding X-Men chronologies have those two issues reversed in order (bookending the third flashback in UX 308, JIM 109, MARVELS 2 [19-20], and XCAL: XX CROSSING).
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com
Nathan P. Mahney
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Nathan P. Mahney »

Chris McCarver wrote:Yeah, as I mentioned in my opening post, I've found a couple of places in the "Year One" period where M/SAGA and the MCP differ.

For one: M/SAGA has UX 7 coming before ASM@ 1 (with TOS 58 sandwiched between), yet all of the founding X-Men chronologies have those two issues reversed in order (bookending the third flashback in UX 308, JIM 109, MARVELS 2 [19-20], and XCAL: XX CROSSING).
That one is an error on the part of Marvel Saga. Professor X leaves the team in UX 7 and doesn't return until UX 9. But he's with the team in ASM@ 1, so that one has to go beforehand.
- Nathan P. Mahney -
lariz
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by lariz »

jephyork wrote:To me, the Saga trumps the Indexes -- in the same way that a story would trump an index. Saga is eventually revealed to be the narration of the Watcher -- and if anyone would know what they're talking about, it's him.
-Jeph!
Marvel Saga shows what several main characters were doing by the time the Fantastic Four gained their powers, including a high school sophomore Peter Parker with Flash Thompson in the background. Is this an indicator of FF#1-FB occurring not before September Year 1? How did you timelines enthusiastic out there manage this?

Láriz.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

What?

-Jeph!
lariz
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by lariz »

Did I say something wrong?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I just don't understand what you're asking. You're pointing out that Marvel Saga #1 shows Peter Parker to be a sophomore in high school at the time the FF gained their powers ... but what's your point? Is that a mistake?

-Jeph!