Noh-Varr Appearance Confusion

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Marvel Boy
Minion
Minion

Noh-Varr Appearance Confusion

Post by Marvel Boy »

Am I missing something, or do all Marvel Boy's appearances with the Dark Avengers that haven't been in the Dark Avengers series not make sense. I mean... doesn't the dude leave their team after their first mission? So how do his appearances in Incredible Herc or ASM or FDBD Avengers make sense? Any help?

On a side note, his appearance in Ms. Marvel actually makes a lot of sense if you set it after him leaving the DA: Osborn doesn't know he's there, it takes places roughly a week after the leave for Latveria, etc. I wonder if that was intentional or just a fortunate coincidence.

With that in mind, this is how I have his chronology so far:

Marvel Boy vol. 2 #1-6
New Avengers: Illuminati vol. 2 #4
Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways #2-4
Mighty Avengers #19 (pages 1-3)
“Marvel Boy: Master of the Cube,” from Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust? one-shot
Mighty Avengers #19 (pages 4-22)
Secret Invasion #1, 6-8
Dark Avengers #1-5
Ms. Marvel vol. 2 #35
Dark Reign: The List – Wolverine one-shot

Thanks in advance for any help!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Noh-Varr Appearance Confusion

Post by Col_Fury »

Here's a recent conversation on this very topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4547&start=60

But we didn't take his appearance ASM 596 into account...

Welcome to the MCP Marvel Boy!
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Hoo-boy. Noh-Varr's appearance in the American Son storyline has major ramifications for MU chronology. *brickwall*
Paul B.
Marvel Boy
Minion
Minion

Post by Marvel Boy »

Col_Fury wrote:Here's a recent conversation on this very topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4547&start=60
So if I read that correctly, basically say that "six hours" should've been something like six days, and all subsequent appearances took place during that time? Makes enough sense, especially when considering that Osborn had to take care of a multitude of other attacks before he could deal with Hawkeye.

Thanks.
But we didn't take his appearance ASM 596 into account...
For something like that (and other insignificant appearances), I would just say it was an artist error. Really, the She-Hulk one was the only one I was really concerned about. He had a line or two in Dark Wolverine and Deadpool and was referenced in FCBD Avengers, but it's not like he did anything important in those. He was awesome in She-Hulk, however.
Welcome to the MCP Marvel Boy!
Thanks a lot. I'm really into timelines/chronologies, so it's a wonder I haven't registered earlier.

Anyway, his stint with the Dark Avengers should look something like this:

Dark Avengers #1-4
Dark Avengers #5 (pages 1-14)
All-New Savage She-Hulk #3
(any other appearances)
Dark Avengers #5 (pages 15-22)

Is that correct?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Marvel Boy wrote:He had a line or two in Dark Wolverine and Deadpool
I've been meaning to pull out those Dark Wolverine issues to figure out where they fit for the Fantastic Four, but what issue of Deadpool does Marvel Boy appear in? Is it the Deadpool vs Bullseye issues?
Marvel Boy wrote:Anyway, his stint with the Dark Avengers should look something like this:

Dark Avengers #1-4
Dark Avengers #5 (pages 1-14)
All-New Savage She-Hulk #3
(any other appearances)
Dark Avengers #5 (pages 15-22)

Is that correct?
In theory, yeah. But if his appearance in ASM 596 is actually him, then that "6 hours ago" in Dark Avengers #5 goes from days to months. And I'm not seeing Osborn waiting months to rebut Clint Barton's allegations. Days, sure, but not months.
-Daron Jensen
Marvel Boy
Minion
Minion

Post by Marvel Boy »

I've been meaning to pull out those Dark Wolverine issues to figure out where they fit for the Fantastic Four, but what issue of Deadpool does Marvel Boy appear in? Is it the Deadpool vs Bullseye issues?
Yeah, the first issue of the Bullseye arc. I believe it's issue #10.
In theory, yeah. But if his appearance in ASM 596 is actually him, then that "6 hours ago" in Dark Avengers #5 goes from days to months. And I'm not seeing Osborn waiting months to rebut Clint Barton's allegations. Days, sure, but not months.
Yeah, that's why I would just say it's an artist error. If we're allowed to play around what's written on the page, then we should be able to do the same with what's drawn. I mean, he literally just stood around in that arc, anyway, so it's not too much of a stretch.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Marvel Boy wrote:
Yeah, the first issue of the Bullseye arc. I believe it's issue #10.
Yes, I can confirm that Noh-Varr appears in DP4 10.

As for American Son, Noh-Varr appears in the one-panel flashback in ASM 596, in one panel of ASM 596 proper, and in one panel of ASM 597. No spoken dialong, just standing or walking with the whole team in all three panels.

I suspect that trying to move the American Son story arc into that gap in DA 5 is going to create all kinds of continuity headaches, but I've been too busy to even start to see how this can be resolved aside from the "Tigra excuse" that he was erroneously drawn into those three panels.
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Paul Bourcier wrote:I suspect that trying to move the American Son story arc into that gap in DA 5 is going to create all kinds of continuity headaches
Yeah. Only going off the Hood, we have DR:HOOD 1-5 before Punisher 2-6, which is before Mighty Avengers #24, which is before DR:Mr Negative, which is before ASM 595-599. And all of that has to happen BEFORE Dark Avengers 5-FB, 5, & 6?

I'mn starting to think "pulling a Tigra" may be the only option...
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:I'mn starting to think "pulling a Tigra" may be the only option...
Osborn had Mystique (re: Utopia/Dark X-Men) pretend to be "Captain Marvel" for a while to cover up Noh-Varr's disappearance until it could be plausibly explained away? ;)

Seriously, background cameos in three group-shot panels where he's not named, has no lines, plays no part in the story and isn't used to illustrate some sort of point? (I'm thinking of the Wolverine/Cyclops sequence in Nightcrawler v3 #1 as an example on that last one. And even there I said it shouldn't be used for placement if it contradicted something more plot-important there or elsewhere.)

The Tigra, pull it.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Somebody wrote:Osborn had Mystique (re: Utopia/Dark X-Men) pretend to be "Captain Marvel" for a while to cover up Noh-Varr's disappearance until it could be plausibly explained away? :wink:
That's... not a bad idea, actually. ASM 595-604 is "shortly" before Utopia, and she was posing as Xavier for Osborn there, why not pose as Captain Marvel for Osborn here as a test run?

What was Mystique doing before Utopia? Was she in one of those Dark X-Men shorts?
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:What was Mystique doing before Utopia? Was she in one of those Dark X-Men shorts?
DX:TB 3/2. Mystique carves up an isolated desert bar in Wolverine's form [after shooting up a random town as herself and getting chased out of town, on a motorbike, by police cars] and takes hostages, Osborn comes in to recruit her for "[his] team of X-Men" (he convinces her to join up by mentioning Daken, oddly enough), and says he'll explain her role in the car outside. She claims he would have needed more men to beat her (there's a solid ring of soldiers around the bar at least eight deep, not to mention the helicopters and tanks). The End.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Thanks!

Processing...
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

While you're processing, can I just take a moment to restate that (A) I was joking when I suggested Mystique and (B) if Mystique impersonates Noh-Varr after he's already been missing for "months", what good does that do? The replacement would need to be there within days of the real Mr. Varr vanishing.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I saw the smiley/winky face, but I got all excited for a few minutes there. But yeah, everything you just said(and more!) is what's being processed.
-Daron Jensen
Marvel Boy
Minion
Minion

Post by Marvel Boy »

Where does "pulling a Tigra" originate from?

I'm going to go ahead and assume that it has something to do with Bendis.