Imperial Guard help needed

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Imperial Guard help needed

Post by JephYork »

As far as I can tell, the following members of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard appear in the "Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" arc, UX #475-486.

Astra
Cosmo
Earthquake
Electron
Fang
Flashfire
Gladiator
Hobgoblin
Impulse
Manta
Mentor
Neutron
Nightside
Onslaught
Oracle
Plutonia
Scintilla
Smasher
Starbolt
Titan

I need before-and-after appearances for all of them. I presume most or all showed up somewhere in "X-Men: Emperor Vulcan", "X-Men: Kingbreaker" or "War of Kings" -- but where?

I'm in the dark for "before" appearances as well. Possibly some are in X-Force v2 #5-6 and/or the "Captain Universe" one-shots, but I don't know if they appeared anywhere else either, and I don't have enough information to narrow it down.

Help -- LOTS of help, VERY soon -- would be greatly, greatly appreciated. :(

Thanks in advance!

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Imperial Guard help needed

Post by Somebody »

I haven't read Emperor Vulcan or Kingbreaker to say what happened there, so I'm not sure how relevant WoK is for the purposes or how much help I can be :(

On a couple of cases; Smasher gets difficult, since they kill and replace him on a regular basis (TWO Smashers -the first named as Salac Tull - die in WoK alone, a previous one - named as Vril Rokk* in WoK 1 - died in Rise & Fall at Vulcan's hands, and didn't Morrison kill one off before that in his NXM run? Fang's also been replaced several times, I *think* Neutron isn't the original, and several others died in WoK and the tie-ins only to apparently be replaced afterward. The only ones I'm absolutely sure are the originals are Gladiator and Oracle.

[*A portmanteau of the original Brainiac's first name, and the LSH's Cosmic Boy's first name, continuing the DC-reference tradition of the IG.]

PS: Are you sure about all those codenames? At least, wasn't "Manta" actually "Manta Ray"? Certainly, "Hobgoblin" became "Shapeshifter" in Galactic Storm (and is referred to as such in WoK #1, as he suicide-bombs the Babel Spire).
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Yup -- even if it may not be the same guy, I'd still like the chrological last-and-next info for everyone. I'm keeping a list of who appears to have been killed, and where, and I'm going to compare it to the info I get here. Thanks for confirming that the Smasher seen fatally injured here does, in fact, die. (And no, Morrison only beat Smasher to a pulp in his arc -- he didn't outright kill him.)

I've never seen Manta referred to as Manta Ray, and the Handbook calls her Manta -- and Gladiator calls Hobgoblin/Shapeshifter/Shifter "Hobgoblin" on-panel in UXM #480. If he's called Shifter or Shapeshifter in his last or next apps, I'll note that.

So, yes, please, bring on the appearance info, and any clues about replacements that have been given out.

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I noticed Imperial Guard members Black Light and White Noise aren't listed in the project so far. I believe they were introduced in X:SOS 2. They appear to be fraternal twin son (BL) and daughter (WN) of Deathbird (they call her "mother" there) and they seem to have some kind of mental connection with each other (Raza shot one and they both collapsed). I think I caught sight of one of them in an issue of War of Kings (edit: or Emperor Vulcan?) but I'd be interested to know if they have had further apperances.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Got EV and Road to WoK out of the library. Several hours and a LOT of squinting later...

X:EV 1
Gladiator

X:EV 2
Gladiator
Manta
Nightside
Oracle
Starbolt
Titan
Warstar

X:EV 3
Gladiator
Manta
Nightside
Oracle
Starbolt
Titan
Warstar
[An off-model Guardsman. Scintilla's the closest analogue, but the costume's green and the hair's a bit short. Could be Magique - see #5]

X:EV 4
Earthquake (somewhat off-model, and coloured as purple)
Electron
Flashfire
Gladiator
Manta
Mentor
Nightside
Oracle
Plutonia
Starbolt
Titan
Warstar

X:EV 5
Earthquake (coloured properly, and looking pretty corpse-like. The further appearances may be a replacement)
Electron
Flashfire
Gladiator
Manta
Mentor
Oracle
Plutonia
Starbolt
Titan
Warstar
[Scintilla? Magique? Same figure as #2, but coloured as Magique this time.]

X:KB 1
Gladiator
Manta
Nightside
Oracle
Titan

X:KB 2
Gladiator
Oracle

X:KB 3
Electron
Flashfire
Mentor
Nightside
Oracle
Plutonia
Scintilla
Starbolt
Warstar

X:KB 4
Gladiator
Manta
Mentor
Oracle
Scintilla
Smasher
Starbolt
Titan
Warstar

WOK 1
Arc
Astra
Black Light
Blimp (miscoloured)
Earthquake
Electron
Fang
Flashfire
Gladiator
Hussar
Impulse/Pulsar
Magique
Manta
Mentor
Neosaurus
Neutron
Nightside [dies]
Plutonia (also appears miscoloured as silver)
Schism
Scintilla
Shapeshifter [suicide-bombs under that name]
Smasher/Salac Turr [dies, NB: NOT wearing the same costume the X:KB 4 Smasher did]
Squorm
Starbolt
Titan
Voyager
Warstar
White Noise

There are also a LOT of unnamed members (hundreds, at least) in the scene where Gladiator says the IG is ready to serve). Any and every Guardsman that's not dead or thrown off the team could conceivably be one of the small, block-coloured figures or just off-panel as part of the same crowd.

Plus four members I can't ID in the big "flying down" splash page - the bearded Gorgon-like one in the corner, the bald one with a greenish-blue costume and big Nomad-like (or Mon-El-like, given the IG's providence) shoulder badges who reappears in WOK:WWR, and two with vaguely Deadpool-like costumes.

WOK 2
Gladiator
Mentor

WOK 3
Gladiator (defects/leaves Guard)
Mentor
Plutonia
Smasher (another one, this one dies too)
Electron

WOK 4
Mentor
Hussar
Fang

(no active Guard appear in WOK 5 or 6, AFAICS)
NO4 24 (between WOK 1 & 2)
Gladiator
Manta
Warstar (silver)
Electron
Flashfire
Impulse
Earthquake

NO4 25 (during WOK 2)
Mentor

NO4 26
Warstar (in traditional greens. And it gets its' heads blown off, but see WOK:A 4 note...)

GOTG2 14 (roughly during WOK 4)
Mentor
Scintilla
Fang (male)
Oracle
Neutron
Hussar
Electron
Magique
Voyager

GOTG2 15 (during WOK 4 & into 5)
Magique (dies)
Voyager
Hussar
Mentor
Fang
Scintilla

WOK:A 4 (picks up from the end of WOK 4 and goes onto at least the end of WOK 5)
Hussar
Warstar ×2 (yes, two pairs of the robots)

WOK:WWR
Astra
Black Light
Earthquake
Fang
Hussar
Impulse
Manta
Mentor
Neosaurus
Neutron
Nightside (another one)
Plutonia
Smasher (yes, another one)
Squorm
Starbolt
Titan
Warstar (well, *a* Warstar pair)
[Bald, greenish-blue costume]
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

I have the same after-appearances than Somebody, for the before-appearances :

Astra : Thanos #12
Cosmo : New X-Men #126
Earthquake : Thanos #12
Electron : Thanos #10-FB
Fang : X-Force (2004) #5
Flashfire : JLA/Avengers #1
Gladiator : Captain Universe : Silver Surfer #1
Hobgoblin : JLA/Avengers #1
Impulse : JLA/Avengers #1
Manta : Marvel : The End #2 (if M:TE is considered non canon, then New X-Men #126)
Mentor : JLA/Avengers #1
Neutron : Thanos #10-FB
Nightside : JLA/Avengers #1
Onslaught : Quasar #33
Oracle : X-Force (2004) #5
Plutonia : New X-Men #126
Scintilla : JLA/Avengers #1
Smasher : X-Force (2004) #5
Starbolt : X-Force (2004) #6
Titan : JLA/Avengers #1

The JLA/Avengers - New X-Men - Thanos order is taken from the MCP (Oracle's chronology for example)
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Many thanks to both of you! Okay, what about Magique and Warstar? (I have their next apps, thanks to Somebody, but not their last apps.)

Also, can anyone give me the same info for Lilandra (before & afters), Araki (before & afters), and K'Tor and Ka'arduum (just afters, as I think this arc was their 1st app)?

EDIT: also, what about Warskrulls? I'm fairly sure we never see the two from UX #478 again, but have we ever seen ANY Warskrulls since then?

MERGED POST: And what about Cr'eee? He shows up in UXM #484 ... what are his next and last apps?

-Jeph!
Last edited by Somebody on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merging posts-in-a-row.
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

jephyork wrote:Many thanks to both of you! Okay, what about Magique and Warstar? (I have their next apps, thanks to Somebody, but not their last apps.)
JLA/Avengers #1 for both of them

For the rest, I'll try to look at it this evening
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

jephyork wrote:Also, can anyone give me the same info for Lilandra (before & afters), Araki (before & afters), and... Ka'arduum
Those three next in X:EV 1. K'Tor next in X:EV 3. [This Araki clone is ultimately killed by Gladiator in WOK 5, the issue after Lilandra's death, FTR]
jephyork wrote:also, what about Warskrulls? I'm fairly sure we never see the two from UX #478 again, but have we ever seen ANY Warskrulls since then?
Depends what you count as "Warskrulls" - what practical distinction is there between the "sleeper" skrulls in SI (including Veranke) and the Warskrulls?

Either way, the Death Commando Warskrull, Flaw, appears next in X:EV 3, where the Death Commandos are also referred to as the "Chancellor's Guard".
jephyork wrote:MERGED POST: And what about Cr'eee? He shows up in UXM #484 ... what are his next and last apps?
Can't see any white critters in X:EV 1, so next in X:EV 2 (if a tad off-model).
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

jephyork wrote:Also, can anyone give me the same info for Lilandra (before & afters), Araki (before & afters)
before app. : Captain Universe : X 23 #1 for the both of them

And what about Cr'eee? He shows up in UXM #484 ... what are his next and last apps?
before app. : I can't see him in the Starjammers (2004) mini, but he is with Ch'od in X-Men Unlimited #32/3
jannepie
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by jannepie »

Somebody wrote:Plus four members I can't ID in the big "flying down" splash page - the bearded Gorgon-like one in the corner, the bald one with a greenish-blue costume and big Nomad-like (or Mon-El-like, given the IG's providence) shoulder badges who reappears in WOK:WWR, and two with vaguely Deadpool-like costumes.
I don't have WOK 1 yet, so I can't tell who these are, but could you find these characters here?
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

I'll just post pics. From WoK #1:

From WoK:WWR:
Mikhail
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Mikhail »

1, 4, and 6 could be Impulse.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

6 is, yeah, I was skimming over things and was caught out by the colouring error on his underarms & lower "face" (I'd actually already listed him for the issue).

1 and 4 aren't though. Here he is in both WoK #1 itself and Nova #24:

Neither 1 nor 4 even nearly match up with how he's depicted by the same artist in the same issue. It ain't him.
SeanCurtin
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by SeanCurtin »

6 could be Impulse with his sides and lower face miscolored.