The Yellow Claw, in X:HY #18 fb

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

The Yellow Claw, in X:HY #18 fb

Post by JephYork »

In X:HY #18, we see a flashback of the Yellow Claw and a group of people -- some of whom, as this issue reveals, would later go on to join The Promise.

Paul O'Brien's X-Axis index of this issue claims that this FB is a reference to Yellow Claw #2. Although this issue recently came out in Masterwork form, I don't own it -- so if anyone does, could you answer some questions for me?

1) Does the scene shown -- eight people in a group, facing the Claw, who reaches out a hand toward them -- actually occur in YC #2? Or is it new material, occuring during YC #2?

2) what was the plot of YC #2? What did the Claw hope to accomplish with this group of people? In the original story, were they mutants? Did they have powers at all? If so, what were they?

2) YC #2 has 5 or 6 stories -- which story is this from?

Thanks, guys! Looking forward to hearing what you come up with...

-Jeph!
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Re: The Yellow Claw, in X:HY #18 fb

Post by Giant Ant »

jephyork wrote:In X:HY #18, we see a flashback of the Yellow Claw and a group of people -- some of whom, as this issue reveals, would later go on to join The Promise.

Paul O'Brien's X-Axis index of this issue claims that this FB is a reference to Yellow Claw #2. Although this issue recently came out in Masterwork form, I don't own it -- so if anyone does, could you answer some questions for me?

1) Does the scene shown -- eight people in a group, facing the Claw, who reaches out a hand toward them -- actually occur in YC #2? Or is it new material, occuring during YC #2?
There is no similar scene in Yellow Claw #2. As a matter of fact, there are only 6 persons in the group ; 5 men and a little boy.

jephyork wrote: 2) what was the plot of YC #2? What did the Claw hope to accomplish with this group of people? In the original story, were they mutants? Did they have powers at all? If so, what were they?
They are referred to as mutants throughout the story. The Yellow Claw keeps them under hypnotic control to create chaos all over the world. Their powers aren't well-defined, but it is said that "their combined IQ is 30 000... enough brain power to smash all the laws of matter and energy", and that, with such power, they "can think the entire world into panic!" Their powers are used in a variety of way, including making a cow fly, making an apple tree pop eggs, turning the waters of a lake into milk, and much more. Once they are freed from the Yellow Claw's control, they escape by vanishing in a flash of light.
jephyork wrote: 3) YC #2 has 5 or 6 stories -- which story is this from?
There are 6 stories in Yellow Claw #2, including a text story. The one with the mutants is the first ("Concentrate On Chaos!").

hope that helped!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Thanks, Giant Ant, this helps immensely. The group seen in X:HY #18 has a woman and a black man ... I presume the group seen in YC #2 is all-white? (If so, that automatically helps define the 2 added characters...)

The "Promise" storyline defined one of them -- Craig -- as an illusion generator, which explains the wacky things seen in that YC story. I suppose another of them must be a teleporter, since they escaped in a flash of light -- but since, in the "Promise" story and AAF #14/2, Tobias Messenger recruits people by floating them up and away, not by teleporting them -- that the teleporter must be one of the members that DID NOT go on to join The Promise. (Only 4 from that group of 8 were in the Promise storyline.)

-Jeph!
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Giant Ant »

jephyork wrote:Thanks, Giant Ant, this helps immensely. The group seen in X:HY #18 has a woman and a black man ... I presume the group seen in YC #2 is all-white? (If so, that automatically helps define the 2 added characters...)
No problems, my pleasure.
Yes, they are all men and all white. Is there a child in the X:HY FB?

jephyork wrote:The "Promise" storyline defined one of them -- Craig -- as an illusion generator, which explains the wacky things seen in that YC story. I suppose another of them must be a teleporter, since they escaped in a flash of light -- but since, in the "Promise" story and AAF #14/2, Tobias Messenger recruits people by floating them up and away, not by teleporting them -- that the teleporter must be one of the members that DID NOT go on to join The Promise. (Only 4 from that group of 8 were in the Promise storyline.)
It's possible that one of them was an illusion generator and another a teleporter. Their individual powers are not defined in the story. They are mostly seen in a circle, levitating with their hands to their head.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Yes, there are five white men, a black man, a white woman, and a white boy.

Looks like the woman and the black man were either BTS in the YC story, or escaped somehow. But since the black man went on to appear with The Promise, and they were recruited by Tobias Messenger after escaping the Claw, I guess he's BTS.

By the way, some of them have names. First names given in the X:HY issues, last names given in the OHOTMU HCs' entry on The Promise:

kid - Simon Lestron
black man - Ernest Scope
balding white guy with mustache - Gene Bitner
younger white guy with black hair - Craig Farnsworth

They'll all be getting chronologies in Index #14.

-Jeph!