Coming from Marvel in May

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in May

Post by JD »

Okay, after a few months where I've been very busy, I'm back for this monthly look at Marvel's solicitations. Thanks to Somebody for picking up the slack.

So for the solicitations at Newsarama, as usual : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel- ... 00216.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=24861
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2010-05

So, without further ado :

NEW SERIES

Relaunch of the Avengers titles !
- AVENGERS #1, by Bendis & Romita Jr. The big one, obviously. Announced members so far : Bucky-Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye. (Spider-Man & Wolverine are also on the covers.) If I read the solicitation right, there's also an ongoing "oral history of the Avengers" backup strip, illustrated by Bendis himself.
- SECRET AVENGERS #1, by Brubaker & Deodato, features a team of ink blots.
- It's interesting that neither the Gage/McKone AVENGERS ACADEMY nor the mysterious Bendis/Immonen project are included here ; they're probably saving them for next month. Good call, there are far enough new titles (re-)lauching this month anyway.

- ATLAS #1, by Parker, Hardman & Samnee, marks the return of an ongoing title the 50s heroes (with the addition of the current 3D-Man). They've barely been away, though (what with the minis, the back-up in HERCULES, and the guest appearance in THUNDERBOLTS).

- SPECTACULAR SPIDER-GIRL #1, by DeFalco & Frenz. The new format includes back-up stories about various other M2 characters (this month, American Dream).

- AVENGERS, THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #1. Interestingly, the Cap indexes will include both the Golden Age stories (starting from CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1) and the modern volume (starting from CAPTAIN AMERICA #100 - I assume TOS was covered by the previous Index ?).

- HEROIC AGE MAGAZINE #1 is obviously for the newstands. Reprints, sketches and interviews.

NEW MINISERIES

Marvel is apparently building "ASTONISHING" as a line of continuity-light and self-contained books :
- ASTONISHING X-MEN: XENOGENESIS #1 (of 5), by Ellis & Andrews, officially switches to the "series of miniseries" model.
- ASTONISHING SPIDER-MAN/WOLVERINE #1 (of 6), by Aaron and Kubert, is the only real "new" title announced for now.

- AGE OF HEROES #1 (of 4) is an anthology similar to the various ones (NATION X, etc.) produced by the X-Office this last couple of years. The fist issue includes MI-13 and Doctor Voodoo, among others.

- X-MEN: SECOND COMING – REVELATIONS: HELLBOUND #1 (of 3), by Yost and Tolibao, is a Magik-centered mini tying in with the current X-crossover.

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN PRESENTS: AMERICAN SON #1 (of 4), by Reed and Briones, focuses on Harry Osborn... who may or may not be the person wearing the titular armor. Also, the return of Gabriel Stacey. (I'm afraid to ask. Mackie-Byrne reboot ?)

- HEROIC AGE: PRINCE OF POWER #1 (of 4), by Pak, Van Lente & Brown, is the latest chapter of their HERCULES saga, starring Amadeus Cho.

- IRON MAN: EXTREMIS DIRECTOR'S CUT #1 & #2, because there wasn't enough Iron Man comics on the shelves for the movie.

Various licensed titles :
- DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER #1 (of 5), by Furth, David, Phillips & Isanove. (Wait, this means no CRIMINAL nor INCOGNITO for a while ?)
- ANITA BLAKE: CIRCUS OF THE DAMNED BOOK 1 #1 (of 5), by Hamilton, Ruffner & Lim.
- SENSE & SENSIBILITY #1 (of 5), by Butler & Liew, the latest Jane Austen adaptation.
- SKY DOLL SPACE SHIP #1 (of 3), a sequel to a Soleil book.

ONESHOTS

- THE THANOS IMPERATIVE: IGNITION #1, by DnA & Walker, kicks off a new cosmic crossover.

- X-MEN: SECOND COMING – REVELATIONS: BLIND SCIENCE #1, by Spurrier & Davidson, features the X-Club (the X-Men's science team).

- ENTER THE HEROIC AGE #1 is basically a set of five trailers for upcoming series. Gage/McKone would be AVENGERS ACADEMY, Parker/Hardman is ATLAS, and I have no clue for the others (though it would be nice for Lopez to land an ongoing).

- DAZZLER #1, by McCann & Andrasofszky, is the latest "Women of Marvel"-themed one-shot. This features Mortis after her return in Necrosha-X (because, er, what other notable villains does Dazzler have ?).

- RESCUE #1, by DeConnick & "TBA", features Pepper Potts, and suggests that she gets to keep her armor...

- THE MANY LOVES OF THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 is an anthology featuring the Black Cat, a retconned meeting between Gwen Stacy & Carlie Cooper, and Mary-Jane.

- GALACTA: DAUGHTER OF GALACTUS #1, by Warren & Sevilla-Lujan, is the winner of that ASSISTANT-SIZED SPECTACULAR poll ; this one-shot reprints the original story and adds the few more digital stories that followed up on the character.

- X-MEN ORIGINS: EMMA FROST #1, by D'Orazio & Moline. I doubt it mentions the Dark Beast.

- WOLVERINE #900 is a 104-page anthology celebrating... whatever.

- ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS #1 features 1-page origins of various characters. I assume most of the art is recycled, like in the SIEGE PRELUDE one-shot, but you never know.

- DREAM LOGIC #1 is an artbook by Mack. Icon, so out of continuity.

- AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #1 is this month's contribution from the Handbook team.
- AVENGERS SPOTLIGHT #1 is the same from the Spotlight team.

- The "MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS" ($1 reprints of first issues of various titles) continues with ALIAS #1, MARVEL ZOMBIES #1, MARVEL 1602 #1 & AGENTS OF ATLAS #1.

Glorified fill-ins :
- DAREDEVIL: CAGE MATCH #1, by Johnston & Chen, co-stars Luke Cage.

NOTABLE ISSUES

- I won't even bother listing all the HEROIC AGE tie-ins. Especially since it's not really a crossover.

- SECOND COMING continues in UNCANNY X-MEN #524, NEW MUTANTS #13, X-MEN: LEGACY #236 and X-FORCE #27, with tie-ins in X-FACTOR #205, HELLBOUND #1 and the BLIND SCIENCE one-shot.

- I hadn't noticed it until now, but DARK WOLVERINE and WOLVERINE ORIGINS have been crossing over since the previous month. Part 3 in DW #86, part 4 in WO #48.

- WORLD WAR HULKS continues in HULK #22 and INCREDIBLE HULK #609.

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #37, by Kesel, Busiek, Siqueira & Ollife. Presumably there are two stories, with the Busiek/Ollife one being a prelude to their announced "UNTOLD TALES" revival...

- THUNDERBOLTS #144 relaunches as a villain-rehabilitation team headed by Luke Cage, with Juggernaut, Crossbones, Ghost, Moonstone and... the Man-Thing ??? on the team at first. Parker still writes, with Walker on art.

- Solicitations for X-MEN FOREVER seems to indicate that it will end, with a relaunch soon coming ("The explosive conclusion to the first volume of this landmark series !"). There's also a GIANT-SIZE one-shot with art by Grell.

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- SPIDER-WOMAN has disappeared for two months... Silent cancellation, or just a hiatus ?
- DAREDEVIL seems to have switched to a bimonthly format for now. Oh dear.
- NOVA & GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY are both missing this month. Are they waiting for the new crossover to start, or are relaunches in the offing after it ?

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Atlas Era Tales of Suspense v3, Sgt Fury v3. (Someone's going to be very pleased...) Also a repackaging of Spider-Man v4 as a TPB.
- Essentials : FF v8, plus a new printing of X-Men v3
- Power Pack Classic v2

- X-MEN: NATION X HC reprints both the recent UNCANNY arc (#515-522) and the same-titled anthology mini (as well as the LIST one-shot, for good measure). That's BIG.
- Interestingly, for the TPB edition the WAR OF KINGS crossover is split between a main volume (including the two main one-shots) and a WARRIORS volume (including the three minis and the SKAAR one-shot).

- The CIVIL WAR: AVENGERS HC compiles tons of CW tie-ins (NA 21-25, CA5 22-25, IM4 13-14, MSM2 6-8, and various one-shots).

- The SPIDER-WOMAN: AGENT OF S.W.O.R.D. "GN-HC" includes a DVD with the motion comic.

- The FALL OF THE HULKS one-shots are split between the two main titles' Premiere HC (ALPHA with INCREDIBLE HULK, GAMMA with HULK).

- There's a typo for the INCREDIBLE HERCULES: ASSAULT ON NEW OLYMPUS PREMIERE HC, as it includes an issue that doesn't exist (#142).

- AVENGERS: RED ZONE PREMIERE HC. Well, both Johns and Coipel are hot right now...

- THOR: THE WARRIORS THREE PREMIERE HC collects MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #30 and MARVEL FANFARE #13 & 34-37.

- MOON KNIGHT: COUNTDOWN TO DARK PREMIERE HC collects stories from HULK MAGAZINE.

- IRON MAN/CAPTAIN AMERICA TPB collects various team-ups over the ages.

- IRON MAN: ARMOR WARS II TPB, by Byrne & Romita Jr.

- AVENGERS: I AM AN AVENGER VOL. 1 TPB collects various recruitment drives for the team.

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Coming from Marvel in May

Post by Chris McCarver »

JD wrote: - AVENGERS, THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #1. Interestingly, the Cap indexes will include both the Golden Age stories (starting from CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1) and the modern volume (starting from CAPTAIN AMERICA #100 - I assume TOS was covered by the previous Index ?).
Got it in one. :)
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

JD wrote:So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Well, since you asked...
JD wrote:Relaunch of the Avengers titles !
- AVENGERS #1, by Bendis & Romita Jr. The big one, obviously. Announced members so far : Bucky-Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye. (Spider-Man & Wolverine are also on the covers.) If I read the solicitation right, there's also an ongoing "oral history of the Avengers" backup strip, illustrated by Bendis himself.
- SECRET AVENGERS #1, by Brubaker & Deodato, features a team of ink blots.
I'm looking forward to these.
JD wrote:- ATLAS #1, by Parker, Hardman & Samnee, marks the return of an ongoing title the 50s heroes (with the addition of the current 3D-Man).
I'm REALLY looking forward to this.
JD wrote:- AVENGERS, THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #1. Interestingly, the Cap indexes will include both the Golden Age stories (starting from CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1) and the modern volume (starting from CAPTAIN AMERICA #100 - I assume TOS was covered by the previous Index ?).
I'm looking forward to this hitting the stands...
JD wrote:Surprise! - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN PRESENTS: AMERICAN SON #1 (of 4), by Reed and Briones, focuses on Harry Osborn... who may or may not be the person wearing the titular armor. Also, the return of Gabriel Stacey. (I'm afraid to ask. Mackie-Byrne reboot ?)
I'm looking forward this, and Gabriel is from Straczynski's "Sins Past" ASM story; Gabriel is the son of Gwen & Norman.
JD wrote:- THE THANOS IMPERATIVE: IGNITION #1, by DnA & Walker, kicks off a new cosmic crossover.
Ooohh!
JD wrote:- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #37, by Kesel, Busiek, Siqueira & Ollife. Presumably there are two stories, with the Busiek/Ollife one being a prelude to their announced "UNTOLD TALES" revival...
Aaahh...
JD wrote:- Marvel Masterworks : Atlas Era Tales of Suspense v3, Sgt Fury v3. (Someone's going to be very pleased...)
I think you're talking about me, because I'm very pleased. :)
JD wrote:- IRON MAN: ARMOR WARS II TPB, by Byrne & Romita Jr.
I always liked this story. :thumbsup:

And there it is!
-Daron Jensen
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Some more news : the PETER PARKER series (reprinting the Gale/Ollife digital strip), originally solicited as a one-shot (but with more issues every month) is now a 5-issue miniseries. Makes sense, since Ollife is moving on to the UNTOLD TALES relaunch...
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

JD wrote:Marvel is apparently building "ASTONISHING" as a line of continuity-light and self-contained books :
- ASTONISHING X-MEN: XENOGENESIS #1 (of 5), by Ellis & Andrews, officially switches to the "series of miniseries" model.
So, this mean that the current ASTONISHING X-MEN ongoing series is ending with issue #35, right? And these new miniseries will be replacing that title?

Don Campbell
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Yes on both counts, from the look of it.

(They seem to be doing the same thing for ULTIMATE AVENGERS, by the way.)