Coming from Marvel in July

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in July

Post by JD »

It's that time of the month again, when Marvel announces what it'll be shipping in three months' time.

For the solicitations at Newsarama : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Marvel- ... 00419.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=25851
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2010-07

NEW SERIES

- X-MEN #1, by Gischler & Medina. Starting with a "mutants vs. vampires" storyline.

- THOR THE MIGHTY AVENGER #1 & #2, by Langridge & Samnee. Probably out of continuity, as a young readers book.

- CASANOVA #1, by Fraction, Ba & Moon : Icon. Mostly (now in color !) reprints from the original Image series, but with a new back-up strip at least in the first issue.

- SCARLET #1, by Bendis & Maleev : Icon.

NEW MINISERIES

- SHADOWLAND #1 (of 5), by Diggle & Tan, is the new "street heroes" crossover for this year, spinning off DAREDEVIL.

- STEVE ROGERS: SUPER-SOLDIER #1, by Brubaker & Eaglesham, explore the character's new place in the MU.

- AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE #1 (of 9), by Heinberg & Cheung : the long awaited Young Avengers sequel. Bimonthly. And interviews are already indicating there'll be some big continuity errors. Oops.

- SPIDER-MAN/FANTASTIC FOUR #1 (of 4), by Gage & Alberti, the same team which gave us a SPIDER-MAN/X-MEN mini one or two years ago. Same format : each issue will explore a different period of continuity for the co-stars.

- GORILLA MAN #1 (of 3), by Parker & Caracuzzo, features the character from ATLAS.

- HIT-MONKEY #1 (of 3), by Way & Talijic : because someone demanded it !

- ULTIMATE COMICS MYSTERY #1 (of 4), by Bendis & Sandoval, continues a trilogy that started with UC ENEMY and will conclude with UC DOOM.

- MARVELMAN FAMILY'S FINEST #1 (of 6), by Anglo & various artists. A "best of" series complementing the extensive reprints.

Assorted licensed miniseries :
- SKY DOLL: LACRIMA CHRISTI #1 (of 2), from Soleil.

ONESHOTS

- UNCANNY X-MEN: THE HEROIC AGE #1, by Fraction, Portacio, McKelvie & Saunders : an anthology detailing the post-Second Coming statu quo.

- DEATH OF DRACULA #1, by Gischler & Camuncoli : this is apparently of tremendous importance for the Marvel Universe, though the only consequence so far seems to be the new X-MEN title.

- X-MEN ORIGINS: DEADPOOL #1, By Swierczynski & Fernandez. Despite Deadpool not really being an X-Men.

- LADY DEADPOOL #1, by Choi & Lashley : because this month needed a 7th Deadpool book.

- TAILS OF THE PET AVENGERS: THE DOGS OF SUMMER, by Eliopoulos & Gurihiru. Two stories.

- X-WOMEN #1, by Claremont & Manara, is a European project that has been years in coming.

- X-MEN: PHOENIX FORCE HANDBOOK

- THANOS SOURCEBOOK, one of those handbooks written from an in-universe point of view (here, Nova's).

Glorified fill-in watch :
- X-FORCE: SEX AND VIOLENCE #1 (of 3), by Kyle, Yost & Del'Otto takes X-FORCE's place in the schedule, while waiting for the NEW X-FORCE relaunch next Fall.
- WORLD WAR HULKS: SPIDER-MAN VS. THOR #1 & 2 (of 2), by Gillen, Eliopoulos, Molina & Scherberger, and WORLD WAR HULKS: WOLVERINE VS. CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 & 2 (of 2), by Tobin, Clevinger, Camagni & Gurihiru : yet more time-filling during the Hulk-event, I guess.

NOTABLE ISSUES

- The SECOND COMING X-crossover concludes in X-MEN: SECOND COMING #2, with a last tie-in in X-MEN: HELLBOUND #3.

- DARK WOLVERINE #88 and FRANKEN-CASTLE #19 are the start of a two-month crossover between the two titles.

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #638 & 639 are the first two parts of a big advertised story arc by Quesada & Riveira which is supposed to give more explanations about OMD. (#637 is the last part of the Kraven family arc).

- WOLVERINE ORIGINS concludes with issue #50.

- For some reason, Gillen is back on THOR #612, with Braithwaite on art.

- X-CAMPUS is now a 4-issue miniseries.
- ULTIMATE COMICS NEW ULTIMATES has been retrograded to a 5-issue miniseries.
- X-FACTOR FOREVER officially becomes a 5-issue miniseries.
- I have now clue whether PETER PARKER is still supposed to be a 5-issue miniseries or an ongoing title : it seems to change every other month. Issue #5 features a completely different creative team from before (Peyer & Nauck).

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- X-FORCE is cancelled, and gearing out for a relaunch in Fall.
- Remember, AVENGERS PRIME, SHIELD and ULTIMATE COMICS X are all bimonthly, and thus skipping July.
- HULK and INCREDIBLE HULK both take a month off.

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Atlas Era Journey Into Mystery v3, Thor v9
- Essentials : Defenders v5, + new editions of Classic X-Men v1 & v2 (the Silver Age run, not the reprint backups from the 80s).
- Invaders Classic v4

- MARVELMAN CLASSIC VOL. 1 PREMIERE HC : the first part of the Anglo & co extensive reprint project. Black & White, of course. Wait, it started with issue #25 ?

- SQUADRON SUPREME BY MARK GRUENWALD OMNIBUS HC

- TOMB OF DRACULA OMNIBUS VOL. 3 HC

- THOR BY J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI OMNIBUS HC. This includes the FF 536-537 prequel.

- ULTIMATUM HC : also includes ULTIMATES 3.

- X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX SAGA HC, with various extras on top of the actual storyline (UNTOLD STORY, a WHAT IF? issue, and back-ups from BIZARRE ADVENTURES & CLASSIC X-MEN).

- AVENGERS: THE SEARCH FOR SHE-HULK PREMIERE HC continues the reprints of Johns's run.

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE GN-TPB : well, it makes more sense to collect each series separately, indeed.

- VAMPIRE TALES VOL. 1 GN-TPB : 70s B&W horror stories.

- X-MEN: WE ARE THE X-MEN TPB collects a random assortment of issues, with a theme of characters joining the team. (isn't X 116 the third part of a storyline ? Wuh ?)

- X-MEN: POWERLESS TPB : the swan-song of Davis's run.

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY JMS ULTIMATE COLLECTION BOOK 4 TPB reaches THE OTHER (and includes the whole crossover, despite two thirds of it being by other writers).

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Ross
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Coming from Marvel in July

Post by Ross »

Sad that X-Factor Forever got downgraded to a five-issue mini. :(

But excited about what's happening with the Avengers titles... and the new Avengers/Thor/Cap official index, of course. :) However, I am torn, because as a reference, I'd much rather have the index as a TPB/book than individual issues. Are there ongoing plans to reprint them all as books? I know I saw one for just Iron Man on the stands a couple weeks back, and I the Spider-Man one is coming in July. But I also know these don't sell all that highly, either, and I feel like maybe I need to support it in the single issues.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

You definitely do. :(

-Jeph!
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

JD wrote:- SHADOWLAND #1 (of 5), by Diggle & Tan, is the new "street heroes" crossover for this year, spinning off DAREDEVIL.
Looks like a de-Franken Punisher and Ghost Rider will be involved. Poor guy, he finishes off Satan and fights heaven, and goes back to fighting regular street crimes (solo, at that).
- SPIDER-MAN/FANTASTIC FOUR #1 (of 4), by Gage & Alberti, the same team which gave us a SPIDER-MAN/X-MEN mini one or two years ago. Same format : each issue will explore a different period of continuity for the co-stars.
Hopefully there will be a Ben Reilly issue again.
- GORILLA MAN #1 (of 3), by Parker & Caracuzzo, features the character from ATLAS.

- HIT-MONKEY #1 (of 3), by Way & Talijic : because someone demanded it !
I'd much rather see Gorilla Man fight Hit-Monkey.
- MARVELMAN FAMILY'S FINEST #1 (of 6), by Anglo & various artists. A "best of" series complementing the extensive reprints.
Does DC follow suit and put out some more Shazam Archives? Of course not. Grrr....
- DEATH OF DRACULA #1, by Gischler & Camuncoli : this is apparently of tremendous importance for the Marvel Universe, though the only consequence so far seems to be the new X-MEN title.
After all the trouble they went through bringing Dracula back in the last Blade book...
- DARK WOLVERINE #88 and FRANKEN-CASTLE #19 are the start of a two-month crossover between the two titles.
Considering Daken's getting his own book soon, and Frank's returning to normal, I get the feeling Daken apologizes to Frank, and helps make his killing him up to him by getting his body restored. They then become buddies, a modern day Wonder Man & Beast! :blechh:
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #638 & 639 are the first two parts of a big advertised story arc by Quesada & Riveira which is supposed to give more explanations about OMD. (#637 is the last part of the Kraven family arc).
Two issues of Joey da Q belittling anyone who liked the past 20 years of Spidey stories? No thanks. But the Kraven story is interesting, considering they chose to bring back THAT Kraven instead of the expected OTHER Kraven. Plus, DeMatteis Kraven back-ups? That's got me sold right there.
- WOLVERINE ORIGINS concludes with issue #50.
I wonder if an "X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE" book would just be Logan finding out he has more kids and fighting imaginary animals.
- X-CAMPUS is now a 4-issue miniseries.
- ULTIMATE COMICS NEW ULTIMATES has been retrograded to a 5-issue miniseries.
- X-FACTOR FOREVER officially becomes a 5-issue miniseries.
- I have now clue whether PETER PARKER is still supposed to be a 5-issue miniseries or an ongoing title : it seems to change every other month. Issue #5 features a completely different creative team from before (Peyer & Nauck).
Spectacular Spider-Girl is apparently a 4 issue mini now, as well (though that isn't mentioned in Previews).
- SQUADRON SUPREME BY MARK GRUENWALD OMNIBUS HC
Is there anything left of the Gruen to add to the ink?
- TOMB OF DRACULA OMNIBUS VOL. 3 HC
The first partially B&W Omnibus!
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE GN-TPB : well, it makes more sense to collect each series separately, indeed.
Wonder what extras will be added, like they did with the Iron Man one?
rhod
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by rhod »

Re: Marvelman #25 - AFAIK the issues before were UK reprints of Captain Marvel. When they stopped showing up, Mick Anglo stole the characters pretty much wholesale and started releasing his own stories.
"What no ten-dollar words? No witty repartee? Aren't you gonna do anything other than bleed?" - Victor Creed XF125