Concerning the new Official Index

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Concerning the new Official Index

Post by DonCampbell »

First of all, while I'm glad to see this series is back, who exactly chose its new name? I mean, AVENGERS; THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE is a long and unwieldy title. Also, wouldn't having the "Official Index" part come before the "Avengers, Thor & Captain America" part make more sense? That way, any alphabetical listing of Marvel titles would have all Official Indexes listed together.

Second, is this meant to be a miniseries or an ongoing series? If it is a miniseries, then shouldn't it have a "Marvel Limited Series/1 of X" notation on the cover? And if it's an ongoing series, does that mean that once the Avengers/Thor/Captain America synopses are finished, then its name will change while the numbering continues on?

Third, I haven't had a chance to look through it all yet but there was one thing that I noticed right away. The sidebar dealing with the "Death" of Captain America and Bucky actually mentioned that Dekker/Newfoundland storyline from CA #218-220. I started collecting Cap in the late 220's and some of the first Cap back issues that I ever bought covered that storyline. It was one of the first retcons that I ever encountered and I rather liked it. Unlike far too many more-recent retcons, this one seemed to be well-done and it actually served a purpose. Unfortunately, every retelling of Cap's story (with one exception) has chosen to omit the events depicted in that storyline so it was refreshing to see them at least referenced here. Of course, I doubt that I'll ever see that Newfoundland adventure ever included in any future retellings of Cap's life.

I look forward to reading future issues.

Don Campbell
John Simons
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Concerning the new Official Index

Post by John Simons »

I'm surprised that nobody answered this-- I guess everyone is off grinding away at the next issue!

Don, are you aware that there was already a new Index mini that just finished up a few months ago? It covered Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men and Iron Man. I suspect the new iteration is a mini as well-- I think the reason it doesn't say "Issue 1 of X" is they won't know how many issues it will run til they get there.

BTW it seems that they are collecting these as trades eventually as well, they have already solicited an Iron Man Index trade and an Amazing Index trade.
"Jessica, whatever you do...don't contradict the continuity! They'll eat you alive! They'll. Eat. You. Alive!"
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

DonCampbell wrote:First of all, while I'm glad to see this series is back, who exactly chose its new name? I mean, AVENGERS; THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA: OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE is a long and unwieldy title. Also, wouldn't having the "Official Index" part come before the "Avengers, Thor & Captain America" part make more sense? That way, any alphabetical listing of Marvel titles would have all Official Indexes listed together.
The featured characters come first in the promotional material, presumably because Marvel believes they'll sell more books that way. It may also be listed that way in the indicia (don't have the book in front of me right now), but most people don't go by the indicia. The "Official Index" part does come before the "Avengers, Thor & Captain America" part, on the cover.
Second, is this meant to be a miniseries or an ongoing series? If it is a miniseries, then shouldn't it have a "Marvel Limited Series/1 of X" notation on the cover? And if it's an ongoing series, does that mean that once the Avengers/Thor/Captain America synopses are finished, then its name will change while the numbering continues on?
John has it mostly right. It's neither an ongoing series, nor strictly speaking a limited series. We plan to keep going, until we're finished. And at this point, we don't know how long that's going to take. We'll have a better sense of that, within the next few months, but don't expect a "6 of X" notation anywhere on the cover, any more than you saw one on the first set.

Thanks for picking it up!

Russ
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

DonCampbell wrote:Third, I haven't had a chance to look through it all yet but there was one thing that I noticed right away. The sidebar dealing with the "Death" of Captain America and Bucky actually mentioned that Dekker/Newfoundland storyline from CA #218-220. I started collecting Cap in the late 220's and some of the first Cap back issues that I ever bought covered that storyline. It was one of the first retcons that I ever encountered and I rather liked it. Unlike far too many more-recent retcons, this one seemed to be well-done and it actually served a purpose. Unfortunately, every retelling of Cap's story (with one exception) has chosen to omit the events depicted in that storyline so it was refreshing to see them at least referenced here. Of course, I doubt that I'll ever see that Newfoundland adventure ever included in any future retellings of Cap's life.
I do what I can. :) Actually, as it turns out, I'm working on the Index entries for CA #218-220 as we speak!

Glad you like the new volume, Don!
-Daron Jensen