Coming from Marvel in September

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in September

Post by JD »

It's that time of the month again, when Marvel announces what it'll be shipping in three months' time. Sorry for the delay, but I've had trouble with the Hulk solicits.

For the solicitations at Newsarama : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel- ... tions.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=26700
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2010-09

NEW SERIES

Time for a re-shuffle of the Wolverine books !
- WOLVERINE #1, by Aaron & Guedes, is basically a relaunch of WOLVERINE: WEAPON X.
- DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE #1, by Way, Liu & Camuncoli, is a straight relaunch of DARK WOLVERINE.
- X-23 #1, by Liu & Conrad, is the only really new title of the bunch.

- INCOGNITO: BAD INFLUENCES #1, by Brubaker & Phillips.

NEW MINISERIES

- THOR: FOR ASGARD #1 & 2 (of 7), by Rodi & Bianchi : I have no clue whether this is supposed to happen in current continuity.
- THOR: FIRST THUNDER #1 (of 5), by Glass & Huat, retells the character's origin story and first adventures. Hey, did you know there's a Thor movie coming soon ?

- INVADERS #1 (of 5), by Ross, Gage & Reiss, continues Ross's saga from AVENGERS/INVADERS and THE TORCH, taking advantage of nearly all the characters being alive now.

- X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MUTANTS - X-MEN VS. VAMPIRES #1 (of 2) : undisclosed creators (beyond the reprint of UX #159), and I have no clue how much of an anthology this is supposed to be.

- INCREDIBLE HULKS: ENIGMA FORCE #1 (of 3), by Reed & Munera. I have no clue what this is about.

- TASKMASTER #1 (of 4), by Van Lente & Paolo, spins off from AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE.

- CAPTAIN AMERICA: PATRIOT #1 & 2 (of 4) stars the guy who became Captain America after Steve Rogers had an unfortunate accident in WWII.

- HEROIC AGE: ONE MONTH TO LIVE #1-5 (of 5), by Remender, Moore, Ostrander, Williams & various artists, is exactly what it says on the tin : a new super-powered character with a deadline.

- I AM AN AVENGER #1 (of 5) : the latest anthology mini, with the first issue starring Iron Man, Captain America, the Thing, Iron Fist, Justice, Firestar, Squirrel Girl, Nova, the Young Avengers, "and more".

- DEADPOOL: PULP #1 (of 4), by Benson, Glass & Campbell. They're abandoning the "Noir" brand, I see ? Well, the IRON MAN NOIR mini is already way more pulp than noir, so I have no problem with this. Out of continuity, of course.

- KICK-ASS 2: BALLS TO THE WALL #1 (of 6), by Millar & Romita Jr, is retro-solicited for August.

Assorted licensed miniseries :
TALES OF THE DRAGON GUARD — INTO THE VEIL #1 (of 3)

ONESHOTS

- SHADOWLAND: ELEKTRA #1, by Wells and Rios, promises to be a key step of the crossover.
- SHADOWLAND: GHOST RIDER #1, by Williams and Crain, doesn't.

- X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MUTANTS – SMOKE AND BLOOD #1, by Spurrier & Walta, is another X-Club one-shot.

- WOLVERINE: THE ROAD TO HELL #1 feature trailers for the three new "Wolverine family" books, plus what looks like the November relaunch of X-Force... and something about NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT, for some reason.

- SPIDER-MAN: BACK IN QUACK #1, by Moore, Brooks & Suitor. Guest-starring Howard the Duck, in what is apparently a Gerber tribute.

- VALKYRIE #1, by Glass and Winslade, will attempt to explain how the titular character has come back after Ragnarok.

- IRON MAN 2: AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, by Casey and various artists, looks like a collection of various web-published short pieces tying in directly with the movie.

- MARVEL SUPER SPECIAL #1 reprints material already published in various recent B&W one-shots.

- ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS: X-MEN #1, by various : one-page origins of the X-Men.

- HEROIC AGE: HEROES #1 is the latest product from the Handbook office.

Glorified fill-in watch :
- PUNISHER MAX: HOT RODS OF DEATH #1, by Huston & Martinbrough.

NOTABLE ISSUES

- The Shadowland crossover continues with SL #3, DAREDEVIL #510, SL: ELEKTRA, SL: GHOST RIDER, SL: DAUGHTERS OF THE SHADOW #2, SL: POWER MAN #2, SL: BLOOD ON THE STREETS #2, SL: MOON KNIGHT #2, and THUNDERBOLTS #148.

- The "Curse of the Mutants" storyline spills into X-MEN #3, NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT #2, X:CUOTM - SMOKE AND BLOOD, and X:CUOTM - X-MEN VS. VAMPIRES #1.

- AVENGERS ACADEMY #4 is the last part of a three-part crossover with THUNDERBOLTS that started last month.

- If you're having a hard time finding the solicitations for the Hulk books this month, you're not alone. Even the Marvel website barely mentions them, and I've yet to find accurate shipping dates. Anyway, HULK #25 features the (guest ?) creative team of Parker & Hardman, while the other book is retitled to INCREDIBLE HULKS and ships both #612 and #613 this month. (It's still written by Pak, and co-written by Reed for the Hiro-Kala back-up.) There's also the INCREDIBLE HULKS: ENIGMA FORCE 3-issue mini mentioned above.

- WEB OF SPIDER-MAN is cancelled with issue #12.

- FRANKEN-CASTLE #21 is stated as the end of its namesake storyline.

- BLACK WIDOW #6 sees Swierczynski and Garcia taking over.
- In THOR #615, Fraction and Ferry finally start their run.

- Interestingly, AVENGERS PRIME ships again (#3) this month despite being bimonthly, although there's still a 8-week delay between issues.

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- PUNISHERMAX
- VENGEANCE OF MOON KNIGHT is still on hiatus, if not worse.
- There's no sign of a HERCULES relaunch yet.
- Please remember that SHIELD and ULTIMATE COMICS X are bimonthly and thus skipping September.

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Marvel Team-Up v1, a TPB of FF v4
- Essentials : new editions of Cap v3&4.

- ACTS OF VENGEANCE OMNIBUS HC is a 744-page monster mostly covering the Avengers and Spider-Man books.

- THE MIGHTY THOR VOL. 1 OMNIBUS HC collects the first few years of Lee & Kirby's JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY tales.

- X-MEN: SECOND COMING HC doesn't collect the X-Club one-shot nor the Magik mini. Well, that's still a 14-issue crossover.

- DEADPOOL: MERC WITH A MOUTH - HEAD TRIP HC collect the whole series.

- CIVIL WAR: THE UNDERSIDE HC continues the consolidated reprinting of the fringe parts of the crossover.

- DAREDEVIL/ECHO: VISION QUEST PREMIERE HC

- AVENGERS: THE COMING OF THE BEAST PREMIERE HC reprints A #137-140 & #145-146.

- CAPTAIN AMERICA: WAR & REMEMBRANCE PREMIERE HC collects the whole Stern/Byrne run (CA #247-255).

- TOMB OF DRACULA VOL. 2 TPB
- THE 'NAM VOL. 2 TPB

- FRANKLIN RICHARDS: SON OF A GENIUS ULTIMATE COLLECTION BOOK 1 GN-TPB
- DEADPOOL & CABLE ULTIMATE COLLECTION BOOK 3 TPB
- DAREDEVIL BY BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS & ALEX MALEEV ULTIMATE COLLECTION BOOK 2 TPB

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Coming from Marvel in September

Post by Paul Bourcier »

CAPTAIN AMERICA: PATRIOT #1 & 2 (of 4) stars the guy who became Captain America after Steve Rogers had an unfortunate accident in WWII.
Is it me, or do the solicits for this make it seem like Jeff Mace replaced Steve Rogers as Cap. Spirit of '76, anyone?
Paul B.