Sentry #2 fb placement issues

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Kevin W.
Director
Director

Sentry #2 fb placement issues

Post by Kevin W. »

In doing some research for the Avengers, I've noticed the flashback in Sentry #2 seems a bit wierd in placement (unless I'm misreading something):

The wedding flashback in Sentry #2 occurs in Hawkeye's chronology between Av #232 and 233...the problem is, there's a big barrier that's slowly threatening to wipe out New York City and the universe which starts in Av #232 (and gets resolved in 233).

Thor is also bts in the Sentry #2 flashback inbetween these two Avengers issues...

And I don't know what occurs in Avengers Annual #12, but it supposedly also occurs between Av #232 and 233...

It just seems to me that there isn't room for any sort of wedding festivities inbetween these two issues (and I'm not sure if the plot of Avengers Annual #12 ties in or not)...so am I misreading something here, or does the Sentry #2 flashback need shuffling around?
Keeping track of Bendis References since 2001!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Sentry #2 fb placement issues

Post by Michael »

There's two separate issues here- the question of whether or not there is a gap between pages of Avengers 232 and the proper placement of the Sentry #2 flashback.

The Marvel Indexes placed several stories between pages of Avengers 232 (before Jen and Jan learn about the barrier). Olshevsky had to do this because of Bill Mantlo's Avengers Annual 12 in which Starfox is an Avenger and the Vision and the Scarlet Witch are helping the Avengers. The problem with this is that Starfox joins in Avengers 232, Avengers 232 continues into Avengers 233 and in Avengers 233 Vision goes into a coma. He regains consciousness in issue 238 but he's paralyzed until Avengers 242. Unfortunately, it's a plot point in Avengers Annual 12 than Jen is treated as a neutral party because she's not a member of the Fantastic Four. Avengers 242 continues into the Secret Wars limited series, where Jen becomes a member of the Fantastic Four. So obviously, there has to be a gap either between the pages of Avengers 232 or Avengers 242. It's easier to put the gap between pages of Avengers 232 than Avengers 242. And yes, we know that there's a scene in Avengers 234 where a crook remarks that Clint's leg was injured in Avengers 231 "the other day". We're just assuming that the crook got his facts wrong. Why Mantlo decided to include the Vision when he was paralyzed at the time is beyond me.

The second question is whether Sentry # 2 should be placed between pages of Avengers 232. The Sentry's chronology is notoriously iffy. At one point Xavier seems to say that he's been gone since before Wolverine joined the X-Men, which would be before Avengers 232. I think that it was originally placed between pages of Avengers 232 because of Tony's drinking but there's no reason that Tony couldn't have gotten drunk a couple of times before he became an alcoholic.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

There's another problem with placing the flashback in Sentry# 2 in between pages of Avengers 232. Bob is clearly married in the flashback in Spider-Man/ Sentry where he and Peter fight the Kingpin. We placed that flashback between ASM 80 and ASM 81. Unless Bob had another wife that was never mentioned , the flashback in Spider-Man/ Sentry has to take place after the flashback in Sentry# 2.
Kevin W.
Director
Director

Post by Kevin W. »

Thanks for clarifying on Avengers Annual #12, Michael.

As for the Sentry, it appears the more troublesome problem is the Spider-Man/Sentry story taking place between ASM #80 and 81. Unless there's additional evidence, it would appear that the Sentry #2 flashback needs pushed back far away from Avengers 232-233...
Keeping track of Bendis References since 2001!