Hulk's chronology currently goes:
SWII 8
SWII 9
T 385
H2 314
H2 315
H3 110-FB
H2 316

The chronologies of other characters (Hercules, for example) put H2 316 before SWII 8. Those other chronologies are correct. SWII 8-9 should be placed after H2 316 in Hulk's chronology. More on that later.

Cap's chronology places M/GN 27 (Emperor Doom) before SWII 4. SWII 4 ties into AF 26, which occurs before the AF 29 ~ H2 313 story in which Hulk returns from the Crossroads Dimension. Hulk's chronology places Hulk in M/GN 27 after H2 314, at a point he's back on earth. Obviously both chronologies can't be correct. At first glance, you might think that the Hulk's is correct, but the Hulk was wearing purple shorts and hanging out in the Western US at this time, and the news of his return from the Crossroads Dimension was just srarting to be discovered. It's unlikely he'd be in Washington, DC wearing pants at this time, even if he's under Doom's control. Besides, if Hulk's chronology is correct, that wreaks all kinds of havoc on the Avengers' chronologies.

M/GN 27 occurs during the time the real Hulk was in the Crossroads Dimension. My theory is that the Hulk in M/GN 27 is either:
1) The real Hulk, snatched from another point in time by Dr. Doom via Doom's time machine, or
2) A robot Hulk, created by Doom to work with Luke Cage as a bodyguard.

Cage refers to the "Hulk" by name, but Cage is controlled by Doom and probably isn't thinking, "Hey, isn't the Hulk off earth somewhere? Shouldn't I be worried that he's back?"

If #1, we'd have to find another spot in Hulk's chronology for M/GN 27. If #2, we'll need to remove M/GN 27 from Hulk's chronology altogether.

My proposal for this portion of Hulk's chronology:
H2 314 (1-7) -- Hulk in Colorado Rockies
H@ 14 -- Hulk in Colorado Rockies
T 385 -- Hulk in what appears to be Colorado Rockies
H2 314 (8-22) -- Hulk arrives in New Mexico
H2 315 -- Hulk in New Mexico
H3 110-FB
H2 316 -- Hulk in New Mexico
SWII 8 -- Hulk in Southwest
SWII 9 -- Hulk back in Colorado, courtesy of Beyonder
H2 317 -- Hulk back in New Mexico

I've placed SWII 8-9 during the "week" between H2 316-317, during a period of time that the Hulk is being hunted by the superhero community. This means that the superheroes didn't take the opportunity to nab the wanted Hulk in SWII 9, probably because they had their hands full with a cosmic-level threat. Hulk slipped away after the dust settled, and Doc Samson (who didn't appear in SWII 9) catches up with him in H2 317. (Hulk's appearance in SWII 8 is alone with the Beyonder.)

Thoughts?
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Problems with Hulk's chronology

Post by Paul Bourcier »

A follow-up note about the placement of T 385. According to the narration, this flashback issue occurs before the "death" of Odin, and so before T 345, the beginning of the story arc that culminated in said death. If this note is true, then Hulk would have to appear here sometime before being exiled to the Crossroads, not after, and so sometime before H2 297.

I'm still working on this, but I welcome comments and suggestions. T 385 isn't in the MCP chronology of Thor himself, so we need to work that placement out too.

Edit:
Here's my proposal...
Hulk in T 385 between H2 296 and H2 297.
Thor in T 385 between COH 3 and T 341.
Paul B.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Problems with Hulk's chronology

Post by Michael »

M/GN 27 is basically impossible to place unless you assume Doom is a Doombot. I've posted on it before here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4685
You're right about the Hulk's appearances in Secret Wars II. I think what confused the person who placed them before the Hulk was seperated from Banner was that the "Bannerless" Hulk was helping the heroes in SWII 9. However, it was explicitly stated that the Hulk was seperated from Banner in SWII 8. The simplest explanation for why the "Bannerless" Hulk was helping the heroes is that the heroes had Rachel use her telepathy to do something to the Hulk's mind to make sure he only attacked what they needed him to attack and it wore off after the fight was over.