Classic X-Men #27 letterer?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Classic X-Men #27 letterer?

Post by JephYork »

Does anyone have a good eye for picking out letterers? I'm usually pretty good at this, but an issue has me stumped.

The new pages inserted into the first story in Classic X-Men #27 (pp.4, 12 & 20) are credited to Tom Orzechowski. But they're definitely not his style.

Can anyone who owns the issue give it a look and see if you can identify the letterer? Thanks!

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Classic X-Men #27 letterer?

Post by Somebody »

Rick Parker's work. 100% sure.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Wow -- really? That looks 0% like Parker's stuff to me. Did his style change measurably over a few years?

Rick Parker from 1990, two years after that Classic issue.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Well, I was looking at H2 314 when I said that, but I admit that McFarlane Spidey page is certainly rougher than the CX pages. Comparing Parker's Transformers US #5 (dated 1985) to his TFUS #79 (dated 1991), though, I can see a progression in that direction.

The only other guy who I can see being near enough to argue, if you want to check it out, is Jim Massara, but his italics seem to me to be more extreme than the ones on that page. Having double-checked Oakley, Brosseau (who both had more radical style shifts between the 80s & 90s), Lopez (whose italics are closer than Massara's, but with far less line spacing and a slightly rougher style), Chiang, Rosen, Morelli (who gave me a moment's pause, but no), and even Orzechowski, I'm sure it;s none of them.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I just looked at some of Rick Parker's 1984 work, and it's not as "loose", but still the same general style as that Spidey page. I don't think he's our guy.

I've contacted Todd Klein and Tom Orzechowski about it. Klein is of the opinion that it may be Joe Rosen or Michael Higgins. I don't think it's Rosen's work -- but what about Higgins?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

It's Michael Heisler. Just heard back from him, and he's our guy! Awesome to finally have some confirmation on this. :-)

Thanks for the help, Somebody!

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Sorry I couldn't be more help (I can't swear I've read any Heisler-lettered comics).
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

S'okay -- this looked *nothing* like Heisler's later, more recognizable style. It didn't even match his work from CX #25, two months prior. I actually compared the two a few days ago and *ruled him out* as a contender. :-D

I only figured it out by triangulation -- asking four other letterers for their opinions, then contacting Michael directly to get confirmation.

-Jeph!