Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Truebeliever
Minion
Minion

Iron Man v1 18-19 and Avengers v1 69-71

Post by Truebeliever »

I am confused by the timeframe of these stories

Iron Man is in critical condition at the end of IM 18 from the strain of wearing his old armor while fighting an LMD of himself. At the beginning A 69 of he is shown in hospital with Shield agents and Avengers in attendance. The Avengers (Sans Tony Stark)are abducted by Kang's Growing Man in order to take part in Kangs Cosmic Chess battle with the Grandmaster vs the Squadron Sinister. In A 70 they are joined by a seemingly healthy Iron Man in a new suit of armor. No further comment regarding his condition is made for the rest of this 3 part story. At the opening of IM 19 Tony Stark is back in hospital and Captain America gives a statement to the press that Tony Stark has had a successful heart transplant. No reference is made to their cosmic adventure or their very public abduction by Kang.

I know that the real answer here is 'Roy Thomas and Archie Goodwin screwed up' but how have the MCP authorities generally resolved this conundum? I have read the explanation in Olshevsky's Avengers Index but found it made little sense to me. Could someone explain the sequence of events to me from the perspective of both Iron Man and the rest of the Avengers? Thanks a lot!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Iron Man v1 18-19 and Avengers v1 69-71

Post by Russ Chappell »

There may be a stumbling block in your mind, because Iron Man's appearance in A 70-71 is displaced by only one issue.

Just for a moment, for a mental exercise, let's place A 70 & 71 much further down in Iron Man's listing, say, between H2 140 & IM 39. Now we would have A 70-71 taking place sometime between A 88 & 93 (only for Iron Man). Suddenly, it becomes apparent that, sometime between H2 140 & IM 39, Iron Man travelled backwards in time, to appear in A 70 & 71. For Cap and the other Avengers, A 70 & 71 take place between...well...A 69 & 72.

That's what happened to Iron Man, but he got pulled backwards in time from very early in the future.

Hope that helps the conceptualization.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Truebeliever
Minion
Minion

Re: Iron Man v1 18-19 and Avengers v1 69-71

Post by Truebeliever »

Actually that helps a great deal ...

Thank you very much Russ!