How did you become a continuity buff?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Truebeliever
Minion
Minion

How did you become a continuity buff?

Post by Truebeliever »

I am curious at what fired many of the regular posters love of Superhero lore and specifically the often convoluted continuity that accompanies it.

For me it was 'The Great Superman Book' by Michael Fleisher when I was nine.

To this day it is the greatest reference work on any fictional character or world I have ever seen. This book made any official handbook index or DK book you ever saw look lightweight by comparison. It was a scholarly tome that treated Superman's ridiculous world with utter seriousness and exhaustively chronicled every character place location gadget and adventure the man of steel had ever encountered in exhaustive (and exhausting detail) It treated the characters as real people and assumed that all adventures happened on their date of Publication.

An example entry might read: In late April 1952 Brainiac gained control of every animal in Metropolis Zoo by means of his Magneto Ray. (Superman 246)

I can recall being particularly in awe of the mock historicity supplied by the recorded dates.

The Lex Luthor entry alone was thousands of words long analysing his long villainous career and meticulously detailing every single ridiculous plot he ever hatched against Superman.

The book was in black and white with only occasional illustrations. For the most part it was just hundreds of pages of densely packed text formated similarly to the Encyclopedia Britannica. The idea that the essentially silly world of superheroes could be treated in such a serious scholarly manner as if it were real history was a fantastic revelation to me. It fired my love of Superhero comics and their convoluted continuity like nothing since.

I would pore over this book on a regular basis as a child, losing myself in the bizarre and often nonsensical details of superman stories published decades before I was born as if I were reading a real historical reference book.

When Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, I remember my childhood self feeling irrationally furious and betrayed. I didn't understand the details of the Crisis at the time but I deeply resented what it was trying to do. (Erase the historical record)

Despite being far too young to have experienced much of this continuity first hand I was infuriated at its deletion.
fnord12
Minion
Minion

Re: How did you become a continuity buff?

Post by fnord12 »

I started collecting Marvel comics while Secret Wars was coming out. I had issues in various books where the characters were either leaving for or returning from Secret Wars. And then i had the actual issues from Secret Wars. Naturally, when i was ordering my comics, i stuck the issues of Secret Wars in between the issues where the characters left and came back. And i just kept doing stuff like that as my collection expanded, and never stopped.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I was bitten by a radioactive nerd.

-Jeph!
lkseitz
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by lkseitz »

I'm not sure I can point to anything specific. Also, I'm perhaps not as big a continuity buff as many others here. But if anything, I'd say it stems from coming on board as a Marvel reader shortly before line-wide events like Secret Wars, plus the publishing of things like the OHOTMU. (Sadly, however, I didn't buy the original Official Marvel Indices when they were originally released. And still have gaps to fill in my collections of them, for that matter.)
Lee K. Seitz
Slowly adding insignificant characters to the MCP
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Chris McCarver »

Well, one of my pet projects (of several) was to do something of a Marvel chronology not unlike the Okuda's Star Trek Chronology, and that itself grew out of another pet project, namely a homebrew Marvel tabletop RPG. I found my way here and, eventually, to co-writing the Index.
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com