X-Men Odds and Ends

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

captamr
Hero
Hero

X-Men Odds and Ends

Post by captamr »

In Marvel Comics Presents # 16/3, I'm not seeing Rogue. At best she would be BTS but she might not be around for the girl's night out:

ROGUE/ANNA MARIE
UX 238
*M/CP 16/3 (remove)
UX 239

At the end of Inferno at the destroyed X-Men mansion, The New Mutants run into a half dead Sabretooth, who tells of the epic battle between Mr. Sinister and the X-Men. This is noted in a footnote to take place in X-Factor #39. The events of which clearly occur before NM 75:

SABRETOOTH/VICTOR CREED
UX 241-BTS
UX 243
*XF 39 (order should be switched)
*NM 75 (order should be switched)
W2 10-BTS
ASM 322

Doctor Neutron also appears in all the other issues of the limited series, Havok and Wolverine:

DOCTOR NEUTRON
H&W:M 1
*H&W:M 2
*H&W:M 3
*H&W:M 4
*H&W:M TPB
*H&W:M 4
I don't have the trade to check his appearance in whatever new material is there, so this needs to be confirmed.

Gateway is present as the Reavers take over their Australian headquarters but his appearances are part of Wolverine's fever dream and delusions. He makes no actual appearances in reality. In UX 253, The Reavers state that they have him captured as they search for Wolverine:

GATEWAY
UX 249
*UX 250 - BTS (dream sequence)
*UX 251 - BTS (dream sequence)
*UX 252 - BTS (dream sequence)
*UX 253 - BTS (added)
PUN2 33-BTS

In UX 255 Mystique explains that Val Cooper requested Freedom Force's support for Forge in the attack on Muir Island against the Reavers:

COOPER, DR. VALERIE
UX 254
*UX 255 - BTS
AF 88
Charlie
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: X-Men Odds and Ends

Post by Michael »

captamr wrote:In Marvel Comics Presents # 16/3, I'm not seeing Rogue. At best she would be BTS but she might not be around for the girl's night out:

ROGUE/ANNA MARIE
UX 238
*M/CP 16/3 (remove)
UX 239
Look carefully at the scenes where the X-Men go out for the night. There's a woman there who's not identified by name but is either Rogue or Madelyne Pryor. We've had disagreements about whether it's Rogue or Maddie in those scenes.
RipStryken
Minion
Minion

Post by RipStryken »

Michael wrote:
captamr wrote:In Marvel Comics Presents # 16/3, I'm not seeing Rogue. At best she would be BTS but she might not be around for the girl's night out:

ROGUE/ANNA MARIE
UX 238
*M/CP 16/3 (remove)
UX 239
Look carefully at the scenes where the X-Men go out for the night. There's a woman there who's not identified by name but is either Rogue or Madelyne Pryor. We've had disagreements about whether it's Rogue or Maddie in those scenes.

I'd say its Rogue, considering the choice for green shirt, and straight hair (fits with her hairstyle at the time between issues).
captamr
Hero
Hero

Post by captamr »

The very next panel shows a much better close-up of the woman under question. The hair is straighter and much redder than the cropped hair that Rogue wears at this time. There is also no evidence of Rogue's very prominent white strip but one could argue that it is hidden by the hat. The final clue maybe the dialogue as the woman tells Dazzler that she will dance with her since Longshot wishes to stay home and she supports Havok's fear about Logshot being left alone. Maddie and Havok are romantically involved at this time and this shows a certain degree of familiarity. The statements also suggest a more carefree attitude from the woman who's about to embrace her Goblin Queen persona, than Rogue who is dealing with the submerged personality of the straight laced Carol Danvers. Besides, it just looks more like Maddie to me than Rogue.

One other point to be made is that there is a problem with the issue. Currently, both women are listed as present. One of them is definitely not there as only five people are transported to town.
Charlie
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

captamr wrote:The statements also suggest a more carefree attitude from the woman who's about to embrace her Goblin Queen persona, than Rogue who is dealing with the submerged personality of the straight laced Carol Danvers.
Maddie was playful long before she became the Goblin Queen. But Rogue's Carol persona wasn't always straight laced- in UX 237, she put on a skimpy green outfit on a mission and told Logan that she didn't mind being remembered as long as no one saw her face.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I'd go with Maddie on this one. she is being awful close to others without wearing any protective clothing on her hands.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

At that time, Longshot was interested in both Rogue and Dazzler -- and both women were interested in him. I'd say that's Rogue.

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

If this is Rogue, it would be her "Carol Danvers" persona, because of the trauma of her uncouth handling at the hands of the magistrates, so it wouldn't be Rogue who's interested.

I guess a case could be made that most woman are interested in Longshot, but I'm still going with Maddie because even if "Carol's" persona is in charge, she still has to adhere to Rogue's body's ability once her powers were returned at the end of UX 238.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

In UX 239, the art seemed to show Rogue-with-Carol-in-charge touching Betsy without absorbing her powers and psyche.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

You are correct. It appears that Rogue's lack of control only applies to her personality. I guess everyone can argue hair style then.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

because of the trauma of her uncouth handling at the hands of the magistrates, so it wouldn't be Rogue who's interested.
You're saying that Rogue's experiences while the Magistrates' prisoner turned her off to all men after that? Can you back this up with anything from the comics?

I definitely recall Rogue and Dazzler feuding over Longshot's affections, and him wondering why he couldn't simply like them both. I just can't recall where that was from...

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote: I definitely recall Rogue and Dazzler feuding over Longshot's affections, and him wondering why he couldn't simply like them both. I just can't recall where that was from...
UX 240-241.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Jeph! Wrote
You're saying that Rogue's experiences while the Magistrates' prisoner turned her off to all men after that? Can you back this up with anything from the comics?

No, to the first part. I wasn't suggesting forever. On the second, the event was tramatic enough, for the "Carol" persona to take over, and the placement of this is right after the story arc and before the arc your suggesting. That's why I believe it's Maddie.

Either way, a correction needs to be made because both of them are not present. The art is hard to interpret and I was going by the clues I saw in it. Just putting it out there. I'm sure others could interperet them differently. Go with what you like.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Jason Doty wrote:Jeph! Wrote

No, to the first part. I wasn't suggesting forever. On the second, the event was tramatic enough, for the "Carol" persona to take over, and the placement of this is right after the story arc and before the arc your suggesting. That's why I believe it's Maddie.
But just two issues after UX 238, Rogue was skating around half-naked with Longshot and flirting with him.
The art is hard to interpret and I was going by the clues I saw in it.
Tell me about it. It doesn't look like Rogue OR Maddie. I don't think that any other artist has ever drawn Rogue or Maddie so badly they look alike.
And publication date isn't much help either. It was published a couple of weeks after Maddie's death in XF 38. Nocenti, who wrote the story, might not have known that Maddie would be dead by the time the story came out.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

In the very next panel of MCP 16/3 from the one above, the female in question's bangs show and none of them are white. Her hair color is red and the speech patern doesn't seem to match Rogue.