Hail Hydra 4

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Hail Hydra 4

Post by Leoparis »

This occurs during the Captain and West Coast Avengers era. A period when I stopped keeping track of the series.

Here is the long list of characters:
Hydra
Baron Strucker
Dr. Geist
Der Unsterblich (first appearance)
The Captain [Steve Rogers]
Red Immortals vampire [first time I hear of this]
Nick Fury
Trude (the character from issues 1 and 2 of this series)
Falcon
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Dum Dum Dugan
Dr. Strange
Avengers:
Hawkeye
Iron Man
Wonder Man
Thor
Dr. Druid
Tigra
She-Hulk
Moon Knight
Mockingbird
D-Man
Diamondback
There is a character I didn't identify page 18 between Iron Man and Wonder Man, an African American with a blue costume and high collar.
I also don't know which Iron Man this is.

Page by page Synopsis
1-3 "Years ago" Hydra soldiers chase a female vampire in Bucharest when the Captain appears and saves her
4 Geist and Strucker create Der Unsterblich
5-6 "Eight Days later" Fury gives some info on Hydra to the Captain on new Hydra bases
7 Geist & Strucker discuss their unbermensch (this directly follows p 4), they need super-soldier blood
8 The Captain raids a Hydra base and asks where is Geist
9,11 In New Jersey, The Captain phones Nick Fury to tell him he must have found him. He attacks Hydra agents but only finds the resurrected cadaver of Trude. He must give his blood or Hydra will resurrect Arlington's soldiers.
10 Geist and Strucker test Unsterblich by having him fight Hydra agents and resurrected bodies
12 Geist and Strucker receive The Captain's message to meet in Arlington
13-22 In Arlington, Fury, Falcon and Captain wait for Hydra. Hydra agents and Unsterblich attack. SHIELD and Dum Dum Dugan show up. Unsterblich overcomes the Captain and Geist shows up to take his blood. Dr. Strange and Avengers show up and defeat Hydra. Geist flees.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Hail Hydra 4

Post by Michael »

I don't have this issue, but I have a few questions that might help you figure out whether this issue is in continuity:
1) At this point in Marvel history, there was a spell preventing vampires from existing on Earth. Is it explained why the vampires in this story were immune to the spell?
2)At this point, Strange was believed to be dead- is he believed to be dead in this story?
3) What role does Diamondback play in this story?
4)Is it explained what Strucker is doing walking around? At this point, he's "dead".
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Michael wrote:1) At this point in Marvel history, there was a spell preventing vampires from existing on Earth. Is it explained why the vampires in this story were immune to the spell?
Nope, Hydra is hunting clans of vampires.
Michael wrote:2)At this point, Strange was believed to be dead- is he believed to be dead in this story?
Nope, he's hanging out with the Avengers. And avaiable enough to be on call in case a spell is needed.
Michael wrote:3) What role does Diamondback play in this story?
She's just standing around... with the Avengers. When she should be with the Serpent Society.
Michael wrote:4)Is it explained what Strucker is doing walking around? At this point, he's "dead".
Nope, he's just hanging out with Hydra.

And not only all of the above, but at this point SHIELD is disbanded. And yet, Nick Fury is at a Senate Appropriations Committee to get funding for SHIELD.

And Iron Man's in the wrong suit.
-Daron Jensen
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Leoparis wrote:There is a character I didn't identify page 18 between Iron Man and Wonder Man, an African American with a blue costume and high collar.
Bill Foster aka Black Goliath? Didn't he have a high collar and blue in his outfit at some point Or is it meant to be Black Panther...?
"May the Light shine forever!"
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

We managed to include parts 1-3 of the story in continuity (though that proved more and more challenging each time)

It's possible that the Red Immortals are a special class of vampires that hadn't been eradicated. The use of "Red Immortals" is peculiar. I don't remember any vampires having clanic names before. They may not be true vampires as well but immortals who became immortal through a vampirism-like lifestyle.

Strange believed dead? Well, he doesn't reveal his existence to the public but instead is preventing the world from knowing what's happen at Arlington. Apparently it's Fury who assembled the heroes that help Cap. Not sure if this helps.

So Fury would be the one who assembled Steve's allies, including Diamondback. Her presence must have surprised the Avengers for sure.

Strucker was dead since Strange Tales anyway but the Nick Fury series of 1989 later revealed him not to be. And none of the heroes know him to be alive.

As for Fury's meeting with the appropriations committee that could be part of an investigation in past expenses after the disbanding of SHIELD. Also didn't SHIELD become a commando-like operation around then?

What are the dates and ranges of issues (Captain America, Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Dr. Strange, Nick Fury, Iron Man) during which Rogers is the Captain?
Last edited by Leoparis on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Leoparis wrote:It's possible that the Red Immortals are a special class of vampires that hadn't been eradicated. The use of "Red Immortals" is peculiar. I don't remember any vampires having clanic names before. They may not be true vampires as well but immortals who became immortal through a vampirism-like lifestyle..
I remember a clan of vampires or similar from the pages of X-Factor just prior X-Tinction Agenda... I can't remember the name (Cremisi?).
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Leoparis wrote: Strange believed dead? Well, he doesn't reveal his existence to the public but instead is preventing the world from knowing what's happen at Arlington. Apparently it's Fury who assembled the heroes that help Cap. Not sure if this helps.
The point is that none of the heroes knew that Strange was alive at this point. In CA 355 Cap thinks to himself that Strange is dead, for example.
Leoparis wrote: Strucker was dead since Strange Tales anyway but the Nick Fury series of 1989 later revealed him not to be. And none of the heroes know him to be alive.
But the point is that Strucker was essentially comatose between Strange Tales and Acts of Vengeance and was disgusted to find out what HYDRA had become.
Leoparis wrote: As for Fury's meeting with the appropriations committee that could be part of an investigation in past expenses after the disbanding of SHIELD. Also didn't SHIELD become a commando-like operation around then?
They did become a commando-like operation, but that was after Nick's appearance in CA 351, and by that point Druid was lost in the time stream.
Leoparis wrote:What are the dates and ranges of issues (Captain America, Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Dr. Strange, Nick Fury, Iron Man) during which Rogers is the Captain?
Rogers is the Captain between CA 336 and CA 350, but if he has his vibranium shield, he only had it between CA 342 and CA 350.
Midnighter wrote:I remember a clan of vampires or similar from the pages of X-Factor just prior X-Tinction Agenda... I can't remember the name (Cremisi?).
They were called the Ravens- they were mystical creatures with some link to Horus that fed off traumatic memories.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Leoparis wrote:
We managed to include parts 1-3 of the story in continuity (though that proved more and more challenging each time)
And it gets more and more challenging with each issue. I find it hard to believe that this mini will make the canon; the series has become untenable, IMHO.
Paul B.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

The Ravens were a circle of 24 psychic vampires who appeared in X-Factor in issues 54-58. They all went by "colour" names (Crimson, Coral, Azure, Cobalt, Cerise, Beryl...). They lived off darker memories, emotions like pain, grief, regret and life energy which they drained until the victim becomes a skeleton. They were able to levitate, teleport and were "inhumanly" strong. They could only be killed by beheading and sunlight weakens them (they avoid it) otherwise they were pretty much immortal. They are invisible to mirrors, cameras, etc. They generally avoid gathering in groups of more than 6 and the last time they all gathered was "more than 2 centuries" before X-Factor 57, when the circle of 24 was broken and they needed to recruit a new member to replace the one lost. They need to replace any destroyed member within 24 hours or it's possible the spell which created them is broken. It was an ancient Egyptian spell (they chant in hieroglyphics) which created them and they strapped the new member to a giant ankh as part of the ceremony. Archangel killed 2 (Azure and Crimson), Cyclops killed 4, Banshee 1 and Marvel Girl the leader, Cobalt. The rest "implode, dissolve into their true form of shrieking, noxious, living mist..." (XF 58).

Hm... Do the named Ravens have listings here?

Edit: Double checked- yes, they all appear to have!

However, Coral is missing XF 57 & 58 in her listing (all 24 Ravens are gathered in both issues).

Shouldn't they have "Ravens" as a race? They're certainly not human anymore!
Last edited by metaldragon on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

I just thought of something else- what role does D-Man play in the story? Here's why- in CA 342 Steve receives his vibranium shield, and immediately afterward recieves a distress call from Diamondback about the Viper attacking the Serpent Society. At the climax of this story, in CA 344, D-Man is arrested by a government agent secretly working for the Red Skull. In CA 349, when Steve meets D-Man, he basically asks D-Man how he was freed from government custody. At the end of issue 349, D-Man is caught in an explosion trying to stop the Skull's latest scheme and he doesn't see Steve again until after Operation Galactic Storm,far too late for this story to take place. So if Cap has his vibranium shield, and Cap is interacting with D-Man, there's no way this story can take place.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

The Captain does have his Vibranium shield, and D-Man is gathered with the Avengers... and Diamondback. And Dr. Strange.
-Daron Jensen