Flashbacks in CA6 1

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Flashbacks in CA6 1

Post by Paul Bourcier »

A heads-up concerning several flashbacks in this week's Captain America #1.

Pages 1 and 2 contain FB panels that date from Steve Rogers' youth and WWII. Bucky, Red Skull, and Master Man are shown. I'll leave placement to those WWII experts among us.

4:1 shows Cap, Hawkeye, and Iron Man (classic '70s armor) fighting Ultron.
4:2 shows Cap fighting three Skrulls.
I originally thought these were shots of previously published battles from way back, but the narrative with these panels read, "I mean, it's not like I have much downtime anyway or like my duties have lightened up at all." This suggests these FB panels are very recent. If this is the case, what's going on here, and why does Iron Man have his classic armor?

Pages 11-13 and 16-17 feature a flashback to Paris in 1944. Shown are Cap, Peggy Carter, Nick Fury, Dum Dum Dugan, Jimmy Jupiter, and Codename: Bravo. Again, I invite the WWII experts to take a look at this. Undoubetedly, we'll see more flashbacks as this story arc proceeds.
Paul B.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Aug

Post by Leoparis »

I wanted to wait until the story arc was completed since I expect more flashbacks
But I'll leave my thoughts here:

Peggy has known Steve at least since 1943 (First Thirteen) and possibly since 1941 (ToS 64 where she was only named as Agent 13)
They lost track of each other at the Liberation of Paris (ToS 77) (Aug 25) and never saw each other again.

Pages 11-13:
Paris 1944 Fury says "France may be liberated" while briefing for a mission
France wasn't fully liberated until March 1945 but he probably refers to the liberation of Paris. Except that contradicts ToS 77 since we see Cap and Peggy together.

16-17 Night before the mission.

I already know I'll have to be creative.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Flashbacks in CA6 2

Post by Leoparis »

Jimmy Jupiter is from Marvel Mystery Comics #28-48 (Feb 42-Oct 43) so there is no problem in his appearance in this arc in 1944.

Page 3 panels 3-4 flashbacks to Jimmy's adventures
Page 4 panel 1 another flashback
panel 2, Fury mentions he brought a two-headed cat to school
Page 6 panel 1 Cap, Bucky and Zemo storm Zemo's fortress
panel 2-4 Jimmy leads Bravo into his nowhere land. Dum Dum Dugan present.
page 7 panels 1-6 A spy puts Jimmy in a coma. Dugan kills the spy but Bravo, his team and Hydra agents are trapped in the dreamworld.

There are no dates given. Did editorial realize this clashed with Peggy Carter's history?
robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Flashbacks in CA6 1

Post by robfj »

Not only do these issues clash with the end of ToS#77, they (and CA:Man out of Time #4-5) mess with established 'history' by having Cap know Peggy's real name.

Similarly the CA and the First Thirteen was the only comic to explicitly give Peggy the codename Agent 13, although this has been one of the readings of the jumble that is ToS#64,75,77.

Previously the accepted version was the one established by Steve Englehart in CA#162. Peggy and Cap didn't know each other's identities. Peggy worked with the French Resistance and got amnesia in ToS#77. Because Cap didn't know Peggy's name he wasn't struck by Sharon's surname being Carter. Sharon didn't enlighten him because of her sister's fragile mental state.

ToS#64's Agent 13 in America was somebody else. ToS#75's references to a WWII girlfriend who knew Steve but possibly not Cap, and Sharon's memory of her sister having a WWII boyfriend Steve Rogers, didn't fit.

Now the whole thing's up in the air again.

Personally I blame that Brubaker guy for starting the rot by changing Peggy from Sharon's sister to her aunt. :-)
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Flashbacks in CA6 1

Post by Leoparis »

I thought of an out: the stories aren't flashbacks but dream reconstructions influenced by the mind of the modern Captain America (who knows Peggy's name) and induced by Jimmy Jupiter and Bravo.
So either this dream refers to before the Liberation of Paris or Peggy Carter wasn't present (the dream could combine two or more events).