Non-responsive

All the text on one page suddenly showing up bold? Bad links? Titles missing from the Key? Let us know here.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

What browser do you use?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 am

IE 9 and I have this problem
25%
IE 9 and I DON'T have this problem
No votes
IE earlier than 9 and I have this problem
No votes
IE earlier than 9 and I DON'T have this problem
No votes
Firefox and I have this problem
25%
Firefox and I DON'T have this problem
13%
Other browser and I have this problem
25%
Other browser and I DON'T have this problem
13%

Total votes: 8

Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Non-responsive

Post by Russ Chappell »

I've been having an issue lately, and I'm wondering, is it just me, or do others have the same problem?

For the last two or three weeks, about 20 percent of the time, when I click on a link here in the forum, Internet Explorer just sits there. The status bar says it's waiting on a response from chronologyproject, and the little explorer icon on the tab spins and spins, but nothing loads. Sometimes the page loads after about 30 seconds, other times several minutes pass, with no response, and I'll click the link again. Usually, on a second click, the page loads immediately, but sometimes it's still slow.

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't mean a delay of a second or two. I'm talking about a significant delay.

If you're having a problem, what browser are you using, AND WHAT VERSION?

I'm suspicious of Internet Explorer. My computer recently automatically upgraded to IE 9, right about the time this behavior started. I've noticed it at other sites too, but not as frequently as the forum here. (Of course, I'm not AT those sites as frequently as I am here, so that tracks...) I don't have a problem on the listings pages, just at the forum. When I try the same steps with Firefox, the forum performs splendidly. I've studied the server logs, and don't notice an issue (but I'm no expert).

So, based on my limited diagnostics, it looks like IE9 is the culprit :hmmm: . Can anyone support or contradict this?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
michel
Director
Director

Re: Non-responsive

Post by michel »

I've had the same problem you describe, but I'm on Firefox 5.0

When it happens, a second click is enough to make the page load immediately
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Same problem, using Safari 4.1.3 for Mac. A second click usually solves the problem, but not always.

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I use IE and have for some time. During the past couple of weeks, I've had trouble getting to the right pages on the site by backspacing after posting; I get an error saying that the web page has expired. Also, the "log me on automatically" function hasn't been working.
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

I use Firefox and my phone, and I've had it happen on both (I ticked "Other browser" for the phone).