Wolverine: Global Jeopardy

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Wolverine: Global Jeopardy

Post by JephYork »

The Index is covering Wolverine: Global Jeopardy in issue #3. It may or may not be canon, but can you guys help me figure out chronologies for it, as if it was?

Wolverine's in his yellow-and-blue costume, and has his Adamantium. (This issue was published in December 1993, two months after he lost the metal in X #25.) Namor is in his traditional trunks, and has short hair and his ankle-wings. Ka-Zar, Shanna and Zabu are all living together in a rural house in Africa. Oh, and Devil Dinosaur makes a brief cameo, but the issue's 'villain" has teleporting technology and could have gotten him from anywhere, even another dimension if need be.

My inclination is to place this shortly before X #25 -- but does that work for the other characters?

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Wolverine: Global Jeopardy

Post by Jason Doty »

I think Namor is the major problem. He had long hair from Namor no.26 on and Wolverine is in Namor 23ish prior to him reodopting his uniform in X-Men no.4.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

He didn't have long hair from #26-"on". That implies that he's had long hair ever since -- which isn't true.

At a certain point he cut it. When was that?

-Jeph!
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Peter Fabricius »

Between O:MU-FB and FF2 2.

He keeps the ponytail up to the time when he enters the Heroes Reborn universe
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Is there a reason Ka-Zar is in Africa, and not the Savage Land? (I'm not big on Ka-Zar, was there a time when he was living in Africa?)

Or is this the comic that says the Savage Land is in Africa and not Antarctica? Are there other dinosaurs besides Devil Dinosaur?
-Daron Jensen
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I think Ka-Zar and Shanna left the Savage Land in around Avengers no.256-258 when Terminus destroyed it, I'm not sure when they returned.

My bad on the "on" statement, I meant until the end of Namor's series.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

They returned to the Savage Land in UX@ 12.
I don't have N 25 in front of me- is there any room for a gap between Wolverine's last appearance in the issue and Master Khan giving Namor amnesia? If there isn't, then we should probably assume that either Namor's hair or Logan's costume was an art error.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Namor has his ankle-wings here, and he was missing those from Namor #5-37 or so. So we can't place this comic circa Namor #25. I'm okay with calling either his hair or Wolvie's costume an art error. Not sure which one, though -- maybe it depends on Ka-Zar's clues? We should figure out when he was living in Africa.

(Or, could we potentially push this *even father back*, to before UX #139? To the timeframe where Wolverine was *first* wearing his yellow-and-blue?)
Col_Fury wrote:Is there a reason Ka-Zar is in Africa, and not the Savage Land?
None given in the comic. At the end of the issue, Ka-Zar shows "his estate" to Wolverine and Namor -- so it's definitely his land, he's not house-sitting or visiting or anything.
Col_Fury wrote:is this the comic that says the Savage Land is in Africa and not Antarctica? Are there other dinosaurs besides Devil Dinosaur?
The comic doesn't mention the Savage Land at all -- and no, Devil's alone. (And he's not in Africa either; he shows up randomly on the Conservator's island. I get the feeling that the Conservator teleported him there, just like he did all the other animals he was conserving.

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Are Shanna and Ka-Zar stated to be married? If they are, then this story has to take place after UX 139.
I'm wondering if it possible that this story takes place between A 258 and UX@ 12- Ka-Zar and Shanna were away from the Savage Land during this period. But Shanna was pregnant during this period. Is there any reference to whether or not Ka-Zar and Shanna have a kid?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

No reference to either. However, I just checked Ka-Zar's OHOTMU entry, and guess what? This story is referenced there!

They have it placed pretty much in publication order, after Cap #414-417 but before Codename:Genetix #3-4. Sadly, we have C:Gene #1-4 placed just *before* Cap #414-417, but still, this gives us a rough late-1993 range.

Looks like Namor's hair is the art error, then. And luckily, Namor seems to be only appearing in his own series at this time. After #37, where he regains his ankle-wings, he appears in Namor #38-43, then NW #43-44. NW #45-46 cross over with X-Force #32-33, which are well after the "Fatal Attractions" crossover in X-Force #25 -- so it seems likely (but not definite) that NW #43-44 are also after Fatal Attractions as well. And that means too late for this issue to occur, since Wolvie still has his Adamantium.

So -- are there any gaps in Namor #38-43?

-Jeph!
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

A quick look seems to indicate a possible break between #40 and #41. #40 was Bob Harras' last issue as writer.
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Okay, I'm placing everyone like so:

Wolverine between SABRE #3 and UXM #304
Namor between N #40-41
Ka-Zar, Shanna and Zabu between XU #1 fb and TM/U #1
Devil Dinosaur between M/CP #174/2 and GR2 #83

If this doesn't work for anyone, or if any of these placements contradict one another, please let me know.

Also, was Namor still the king of Atlantis at this time? (I need to give him a one-line descriptor; is "Monarch of Atlantis" accurate? Or should it be something like "deposed monarch", etc etc?)

-Jeph!
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Namor refers to himself as Lord of Atlantis and as Namor the First in #41, and the story takes place in Atlantis.
And the previous storyline had his mother (sort of) reclaim the throne and die, so I would say he is the ruler of Atlantis.