Wolverine: Son of Canada - where does it fit?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Wolverine: Son of Canada - where does it fit?

Post by JephYork »

In April 2001, Marvel put out a custom comic called Wolverine: Son of Canada. I'm doing an Index write-up for it, and I'd like to give all the characters who appear chronologies as if the issue were canon.

(Given this board's ongoing back-and-forth unresolved conversation about giveaway books, I'm not trying to say that this issue IS canon, and I'm not trying to say that it ISN'T. And I *do not* want to sidetrack this thread by re-starting that conversation here and now. I just want to determine where this issue would fit IF it was canon.)

The heroes that appear here are Captain America, Hulk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man, Storm, Thing, Thor and Wolverine. The villains are Blastaar, his Darkforce-powered henchmen, and the Green Goblin (bts, Spider-Man says he was in hot pursuit of the Goblin when he's teleported away). Storm is in her second "Revolution"-era costume. All other characters are in their classic, standard looks and status quos. (Though we don't see the Goblin on-panel, so no evidence for him.)

An April 2001 publication date is the same month as W2 #161, the end of a story arc. Perfect for Wolverine, but who knows about the others. Wolvie next appears in X #109 -- and Storm receives a new costume in that issue (her "X-Treme" look) -- so we should probably keep this issue before X #109.

Does a placement between W2 #161 and X #109 work for all other characters involved? Or do we need to slide it back father? The earliest it should go is UXM #383, where Storm's second Revolution costume first appears ... that's a six month window. Can it be done?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Wolverine: Son of Canada - where does it fit?

Post by JephYork »

UXM #383 came out in August 2000. X #109 came out in February 2001. This issue came out in April 2001.

The other characters' issues in the Aug-Feb timeframe are:

Captain America - CA3 #32-38
Hulk - H3 #17-23
Spider-Man - ASM2 #20-26
Thing - FF3 #32-38
Thor - T2 #26-32

Silver Surfer had no ongoing series; he appears in CM5 #8-11 and the Maximum Security crossover during this timeframe.

The Green Goblin appeared in ASM2 #25 and PPSM2 #25, which is a pretty cool coincidence. Could his bts appearance here tie into those two issues?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

After having read ASM2 #25 and PPSM2 #25, I'm inclined to re-interpret Spidey's line here from "I was actively chasing the Green Goblin" to "I was following sightings of the Green Goblin all around town."

I'm placing this issue, where Spidey is magically teleported away from his search for the Goblin, during ASM2 #25. Which helps me narrow it down to a shortly-post-ASM2 #36 timeframe. (#36, the 9/11 issue, occurs between #24-25.) That in turn should help me narrow the other characters' appearances down.

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Feck. For Captain America, ASM2 #36 occurs before USA2 #2-3. For the Thing, ASM2 #36 occurs after USA2 #3.

Which is correct?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Anyone spot anything wrong with any of these placements?

Captain America - between CA4 #1 fb & X #111 fb
Hulk - between H3 #26 & Def2 #1
Silver Surfer - between MaxSec #3 & Def2 #1
Spider-Man - during ASM2 #25
Storm - between ASM2 #36 & XX #2 fb
Thing - between ASM2 #36 & FF3 #40
Thor - between ASM2 #36 & A3 #38
Wolverine - between XU #30/4 & W2 #162

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Jeph wrote:
For Captain America, ASM2 #36 occurs before USA2 #2-3. For the Thing, ASM2 #36 occurs after USA2 #3.
FWIW, the Calendar has USA2 2-3 after ASM2 36.
Paul B.
Spider-Man
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spider-Man »

JephYork wrote:UXM #383 came out in August 2000. X #109 came out in February 2001. This issue came out in April 2001.
The Green Goblin appeared in ASM2 #25 and PPSM2 #25, which is a pretty cool coincidence. Could his bts appearance here tie into those two issues?
Wasn't that the storyline where Peter WAS the Green Goblin, for a very brief amount of time? I remember the issues prior to it had a "new" Green Goblin running around, and the big surprise revealed in ASM2 #25 is that it was actually Peter, brainwashed into being the Goblin.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Yup, that's the one. Which is why I re-interpreted Spidey's line to mean "I was trying to track down the Goblin based on investigating his previous attacks", rather than "I was literally chasing the Goblin."

-Jeph!