Michael Bloomberg in W2 #188

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Michael Bloomberg in W2 #188

Post by JephYork »

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg appears bts in W2 #188 (May 2003), pressuring the police to drop an Internal Affairs investigation.

Where does he appear next and last? The MCP only lists Bloomberg in one issue -- New Avengers Annual #1 -- and that came out in June 2006, over three years later. I have to assume he's made other appearances in those three years.

Does anyone know?

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Michael Bloomberg in W2 #188

Post by Paul Bourcier »

And the Avengers Index entry for New Avengers Annual #1 notes that it's Bloomberg's only appearance. Ack. After that annual, Bloomberg appears in a flashback (taped TV news conference) in Moon Knight #17 (June 2008), but that doesn't help you, Jeph.

In Four #1 (April 2004), Reed tells Sue that the mayor is evicting the FF from the Baxter Building, so that's a BTS for Bloomberg.

The mayor who appears in Nightcrawler #5-6 (March-April 2005) must be Bloomberg.
Paul B.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

So next bts in Four #1, next in Nightcrawler #5.

And maybe the Wolvie issue is his earliest appearance?

Thanks, Paul!

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Yes, so far we have:

BLOOMBERG, MICHAEL
W2 188
FOUR 1-BTS
NC3 5
NC3 6
NA@ 1
MK5 17-FB

There may be other appearances. If anyone knows of more, let us know.
Paul B.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

He's only bts in W2 #188.

But yes -- everyone, please speak up if you know about any more...

-Jeph!
LordZorn
Hero
Hero

Post by LordZorn »

Guys:

Just out of curiosity, when was Bloomberg succeeded in the 616 timeline by J.Jonah Jameson as mayor of NYC???
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Amazing Spider-Man #591.
-Daron Jensen
LordZorn
Hero
Hero

Post by LordZorn »

Guys:

BTW... the gentleman should be listed(per Wikipedia) as:

BLOOMBERG, MICHAEL RUBENS(adding middle name)
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

New York City mayors

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Speaking of NYC mayors...

In Punisher War Journal #34 (Sept, 1991), a TV news reporter makes a reference to "Mayor Driscoll," who must be NYC mayor since he's noted as planning to meet leaders of the black and Korean communities in Queens. This comic was published at the time David Dinkins was mayor in our reality. I wonder if Driscoll was the Dinkins of Earth-616. Has Driscoll made appearances in the MU? Has Dinkins?
Paul B.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Bloomberg appeared in Spider-Man: You're Hired, a PSA comic from 2011 previously published in 2010 online. That's probably his last appearance before his defeat.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

The Marvel Appendix has a list of Dinkins' appearances:
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/dinkinscrippler.htm
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks, Michael. According to that source, Dinkins' last "appearance" is in NW 16-BTS. In that issue, Speedball says, "Maybe Mayor Dinkins'll want to thank me in person." (Not really a BTS for Dinkins, as his actions or whereabouts are not referenced.) NW 16 (Oct 91) was published one month after PWJ 34 (Sep 91), in which "Mayor Driscoll" is mentioned. This suggests to me that Dinkins was replaced by Driscoll very shortly after NW 16 and Driscoll assumed office shortly before PWJ 34.

Since PWJ at this time operated fairly indepently from the rest of the MU, I don't think the placement of PWJ 34 after NW 16 causes any chronology problems.
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

David Dinkins

Post by Paul Bourcier »

The mayor of New York appears in flashback in PWJ 48, awarding Eddie Dyson a commendation. He looks like David Dinkins. According to Punisher's MCP listing, this flashback occurs after PWJ 34, which refers to Dinkin's supposed successor, Mayor Driscoll. I propose that this flashback be placed before PWJ 34. In fact, it's supposed to occur "just before Christmas two years ago" relative to PWJ 48, and that probably puts this FB quite a bit before it's current MCP placement. I don't have the Calendar worked out in enough detail for this time period to know exactly where it should go, but I'll give it some thought. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it, that'd be great.
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Okay, I'm zeroing in on a placement for that first FB in PWJ 48, but I need to know something. The Index states that the "Mayor of New York" appears in PUN2 41. Can we tell who this mayor is? I don't have the issue, but the cover date is Late October 1990, so I imagine he was drawn to look like David Dinkins. Can anyone confirm?
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Here's where I am...

I'm inclined to interpret the "two years ago" statement in PWJ 48 (Nov. 1992) as a real-world reference so that the placement of that issue's first flashback would occur roughly around the time of comics in late 1990. The flashback occurs "just before Christmas," so we ought to place it just before a Christmas story published in late 1990.

PPTSS 173 (Feb '91) occurred on Christmas. Spidey appeared in that issue shortly before A 329. Not long before A 329, Iron Man appeared in IM 254 (Mar '90), which occurred on Christmas Eve. I suspect that we're talking about the same MU Christmas here, despite the fact that IM 254 was published a year before PPTSS 173.

Stark's last appearance prior to IM 254 was N 5, which occurs before NW 4-6. NW 7-9 occur in "November." Punisher appears in NW 7-9. His next appearance after NW 9 is PUN2 45 (Mar '91). PUN2 45 was published the month after the Christmas story in PPTSS 173.

So...I place Punisher in that first FB in PWJ 48 (just before Christmas) between NW 9 (November) and PUN2 45. Mayor Dinkins is in this flashback between his (assumed) appearance in PUN2 41 and Mayor Driscoll's BTS appearance in PWJ 34.

How does this sound?
Paul B.