Sequencing monthly and quarterly Timely issues

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Sequencing monthly and quarterly Timely issues

Post by robfj »

I have submitted a thread to the Who Watches The Watchers forum (which discusses the Official Handbooks, etc) suggesting there is something wrong with the claimed sequencing of stories in the Timely parts of online bibliographies in Marvel Universe for Captain America and Sub-Mariner, originally taken from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. This sequencing is also reflected in the Timely parts of the recent Index of Captain America, and in a more general way in the character histories in the Marvel Mystery Handbook.

I am repeating my conclusion here because it is relevant to the Project. If anyone wants to see the detailed evidence I direct them to the forum within comixfan.net/forums, in a thread called 'Sequencing monthly and quarterly Timely issues'. I have added some extra stuff here which directly refer to MCP entries.

The heart of the problem lies in deciding which monthly cover-dated comics came out at the same time as issues with quarterly season cover dates like Spring. The clues are contained in adverts in comics that indicate which other comics are currently on sale. Significantly some of these adverts also contain actual publication dates.

I have compared ads in comics from 1940-41 (as reprinted in Marvel Masterworks), and I have come to the conclusion that the linkage (with some exceptions 1 month either side) is:-
Spring quartelies are with June cover-dated monthlies.
Summer quartelies are with September cover-dated monthlies.
Fall quartelies are with December cover-dated monthlies.
Winter quartelies are with March cover-dated monthlies.

The analysis is complicated by the fact (supported by ads for monthly comics with actual publication dates) that the issues were actually published 3 months before their cover dates. So the full story is:-
Spring quartelies are with June cover-dated monthlies, all published in March.
Summer quartelies are with September cover-dated monthlies, all published in June.
Fall quartelies are with December cover-dated monthlies, all published in September.
Winter quartelies are with March cover-dated monthlies, all published in December.

The online Captain America and Sub-Mariner bibliographies list all the Timely comics by their supposed publication months, and this is taken to reflect when the events 'actually happened'. Continued stories are bundled together in one month. Stories that are considered as told out of sequence are listed in the month they are supposed to happen. But with those exceptions excluded, there is a definite date-link between monthly and quarterly issues, and it doesn't match what I described above.

These online bibliographies use the 3-month backdating of monthly issues. But they effectively don't move the quarterly titles back the same 3 months. Since 3 months is also the gap between quarters, they get a similar but different linkage:-
Spring issues with March cover-date monthlies, all published in December.
Summer issues with June cover-date monthlies, all published in March.
Fall with September cover-date monthlies, all published in June.
Winter issues with December cover-date monthlies, all published in September.

The CA Index and the MMH character histories aren't so interested in the dates, but they follow the same linkage scheme.

I found that those publication dates for quarterlies clashed with the dates in adverts for them. And the quarterly/monthly link didn't tie in with the adverts for other comics on sale at the same time.

Moving the quarterly issues by 3 months has some beneficial effects:-

Mystic Comics v2#1 is monthly cover-dated October 1944, backdated to July. Mystic Comics v2#2 is quarterly dated Fall 1944. If Fall were backdated to June then #2 would have come out before #1. Changing to September publication avoids this problem.

In Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (Spring 1941) the Atlantean emperor is killed (or put in a coma) and Namor takes over. If Spring quarterlies were equated to March cover-dated monthlies, then it would have been published in the same month as MMC#17. But the emperor appears in MMC#19 cover-dated May. Moving Spring quarterlies to June cover-dates puts SMC#1 with MMC#20. It can then be read between MMC#19 where the emperor is alive, and MMC#20 where he's dead. Also in SMC#1 SM 'borrows' some radium from New York. In MMC#20 he returns it.

The HT+SM story in MMC#17 (March 1941) refers to the Atlantean fleet as heavily damaged, which happened in the SM story in HT#3 (Winter) (which itself followed directly from the HT story in the same issue). This works better if Winter quarterlies are published alongside March ones than if HT#3 happened 3 months earlier.

There are probably other connections I haven't noticed yet.

I notice that MCP have entered some of the Timely stories into the chronology, basically lagging a bit behind the Masterworks reprints. The evidence is somewhat schizophrenic. Some characters seem to be following my scheme, but others match the OHOTMU/Indexes one.

MCP has Fiery Mask's appearance in HT#2 (Fall 1940) after all his last entry in Daring Mystery Comics in #6 (cover date September 1940), as per my scheme. OHOTMU's dating would put HT#2 in the same month as DMC#6, and MMH then describes HT#2's story as occurring before DMC#6's. MCP's choice here seems to follow from a forum thread by Adamant in February 2008.

For Sub-Mariner MCP has SMC#1 as necessary between MMC#19 and #20, fitting my scheme.

For Human Torch MCP has the HT story in HT#2 (Fall 1940) between the HT stories in MMC#13 (November 1940) and #14 (December 1940). My scheme has HT#2 published in the same month as MMC#14. The HT story in HT#3 (Winter) is placed here too. I think it's only a coincidence that this is where the OHOTMU system would place it. I suspect MCP's decision here was to make Toro's training in HT#3 follow immediately after his discovery by HT in HT#2. I personally would question the necessity for this. Toro's training would take a long time. Be that as it may, the HT story in HT#4 (Spring 1941) is back in line between MMC#19 (May 1941) and #20 (June 1941).

MCP has the SM story in HT#2 (Fall 1940) between the SM stories in MMC#14 (December 1940) and #15 (January 1941). The slightly different placings of the HT and SM stories in their sequences are both equally reasonable timewise, and are influenced by continued stories in MMC. The SM story in HT#3 follows directly from the HT story in that issue, and so has to be placed here because MCP has the HT stories in HT#2 and #3 together. But as I said earlier, the HT story in HT#3 needn't be so close to the one in HT#2, and the SM story makes more sense nearer MMC#17.

MCP hasn't taken Angel in MMC far enough to determine how his monthly stories will interrelate with those in the quarterly SMC, etc.

Captain America is the odd one out here.
For instance OHOTMU and the CA Index have:-
All Winners Comics #1 (Summer 1941) between Captain America Comics #4 (cover date June 1941) and #5 (August 1941)
AWC#2 (Fall 1941) between CAC#6 (September 1941) and #7 (October 1941)
AWC#3 (Winter 1941/2) between CAC#9 (December 1941) and #10 (January 1942)
which fit their system relating Summer to June cover dates, etc.
MCP follows the OHOTMU pattern for CA, except that AWC#2 is moved slightly to between CAC#7 and #8.

In MCP SM and HT have AWC#1 between SMC#2 and HT#5a, and the association between these 3 quarterlies continues in step (though not always in the same order). Unfortunately MCP hasn't entered MMC issues that far, so I can't tell how they would actually relate it to the quarterlies. But extrapolating from the earlier SM and HT chronology I would expect the SM and HT stories in AWC#1 to be around MMC#23 (cover date September), which would clash with the CA story in AWC#1 being near CAC#4 (June). And so on for all the later issues.

This clash would also extend to the 'actual' dates the stories 'happen' on. This would be true whether you consider 'actual' dates are the cover dates or the 3-month before publication dates, as long as you are consistent.

I don't see any reason why CA should be treated differently from the other characters.

Rob F Johnson
zilch
Hero
Hero

Re: Sequencing monthly and quarterly Timely issues

Post by zilch »

When i'm indexing Golden Age DC stuff, i use this system...

Spring is after the April issues but before April-May issues
Summer is after July issues but before July-August issues
Fall is after October issues but before October-November issues
Winter is after the following January issues but before the January-February issues
(Winter dates are often given with both years, such as Winter '42-'43)
robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by robfj »

My revised scheme for aligning quarterly issues with monthly ones can throw light on some other corners of Timely. One of these is the question of Patriot's first appearance.

There is no argument about his origin, which is in the text story in Human Torch #4. This is set a year before his other tales. The question is rather which is his first illustrated story.

Patriot has such stories in HT#4 Spring 1941 and #5a Summer 41 (and also guests in the main story in #5b), and has a continuing strip in Marvel Mystery Comics from #21 dated July 41.

There is no entry for Patriot in the online OHOTMU bibliographies, but their dating system would have HT#4 Spring->March, HT#5a Summer->June, MMC#21 July ...

My scheme has HT#4 Spring->June, MMC#21 July, MMC#22 August, MMC#23 September + HT#5a Summer->September ...

Both systems seem to have the first appearance in HT#4. But many sources claim the 1st app is MMC#21.

The Golden Age Handbook has HT#4. (But it also says he has no origin story.) However I haven't found anywhere else that agrees. (Earlier Handbooks that I have only list his 1st modern app in Marvel Premiere #29.)

The copies of the Overstreet Guide that I have say MMC#21.
The online Marvel Universe entry has 1st app MMC#21.
The Chronology Project has MMC#21, HT#4, HT#5a, HT#5b, MMC#22 ... (deviating from both dating schemes).
The online sites International Heroes and Guide to Marvel's Golden Age Characters both have MMC#21.
It is possible that one source, say an early Overstreet, put MMC#21 as the 1st app and others since then have copied it.

Looking at the evidence of adverts:- MMC#19 says HT#4 is on sale soon, MMC#20 has on sale now, MMC#21 doesn't have an ad, and HT#4 has MMC#20 on sale soon. This would suggest that HT#4 came out between MMC#19 and #20, making it definitely the 1st app of Patriot. But the ad dating isn't necessarily foolproof. My scheme would put HT#4 with MMC#20, and my 1 month leeway would allow it to be in the same month as MMC#21. Then either of them could be first.

While I'm on the subject of Patriot, now that MMC#21-24 are available in a Masterworks I've noticed a big difference between Patriot in HT and MMC. Both titles have Jeff Mace with his girlfriend Mary (no surname as yet), and their newsman pal Casey. But there seems to be a disagreement over whether Mace works for a newspaper too.

In the story and text origin in HT#4 he's definitely a reporter. In HT#5a Casey is referred to as a *fellow* newshawk. But in that issue Patriot gives the story of the events to Casey, without any suggestion that he could have written it up himself as Mace.

This generosity extends throughout the available MMC stories. Casey always gets the story. In fact in #21 Jeff gives it to him directly, rather than as Patriot. Mace is never referred to here as a reporter. Indeed in #21 Mary calls him a playboy.

There is a similar disagreement over whether Mary is a reporter too. MMC has no hint of this. But HT#5a talks about Jeff Mace and Mary and *their* fellow newshawk Casey. And HT#4 can be read as saying that they all 3 work at Consolidated Press/News.
robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by robfj »

Some other characters that can be studied in the light of my alternate dating scheme are Young Allies and Red Skull.

The Young Allies grew out of appearances of the Sentinels of Liberty in early issues of Captain America Comics. Bucky was depicted as leader of one local SoL group, in his non-costumed identity. The group didn't know that their Bucky was Captain America's Bucky.

The group had adventures with Bucky and Cap in the text story in CAC#4 and the 3rd Cap story in CAC#5. Then there were some SoL members in Bucky's school in the 1st story in CAC#6 (probably some of the same SoL group). And in that issue's text story Bucky, still out of costume, recruited the help of an SoL member.

During these stories there is some evidence that the SoL group includes the future Young Allies. The CAC#5 story has someone who looks very like Whitewash, and the CAC#6 school story includes a dead ringer for Tubby Tinkle. These 2 stories also have boys who could be Knuckles and Jeff. The boy in CAC#6's text story definitely isn't a member of Young Allies.

Then CAC#8's text story by Stan Lee calls 4 boys the Young Allies (with 2 of the names slightly wrong - an early example of Stan's Bob Banner syndrome?). Bucky is depicted as in costume in the illustration. But it is unclear from the text that he is, or whether the Young Allies know Bucky is Bucky.

The CAC issue cover and publication dates (in 1941) are, in both the OHOTMU and my own dating systems:-
CAC#4 (Jun->Mar)
CAC#5 (Aug->May)
CAC#6 (Sep->Jun)
CAC#8 (Nov->Aug)

The OHOTMU dating system would place YA#1 as (Summer->March), near CAC#4. The online Cap bibliography puts it in that month later than CAC#4, and the recent Index agrees with that order.

My system has YA#1 as (Summer->June), placing it near CAC#6. I can interpret that as between CAC#6 and #8. This easily accommodates the YA members possible appearances in CAC#5 and #6 as before Bucky revealed his identity and formed the YA.

However proponents of the OHOTMU system could say that the unnamed boys in CAC#5 and #6 weren't really the YA boys. Or maybe they were keeping the YA and Bucky's identity secret from the rest of the SoL group.

The are some other connecting links between issues of CAC and YA. I'll discuss Red Skull below. The only other one I know of is that Black Talon appears in CAC#9 and then YA#2. And this one works in either scheme.
OHOTMU dating would have CAC#9 (Dec->Sep), YA#2 (Winter->Sep). Cap's bibliography has them both in Sep, in the necessary order. Cap's Index agrees with that order.
My dating has CAC#9 (Dec->Sep), YA#2 (Winter->Dec), obviously the right order.

Modern Marvel says there have been several people behind the mask of Red Skull. But as far as I can tell from the issues available to me, Timely/Atlas seems to have treated them all as the same person, up to and including the version working for the Communists in the 50's. I haven't seen any name given for him other than George Maxon, which was used only in the 1st appearance.

I'm going to examine the earliest Timely issues themselves. I'm not going to consider modern tales that have been interpolated between them. I'm going to ignore modern retcons for the moment.

The earliest appearances of RS are in CAC#1,3,7,16, YA#1,4 and All Select Comics #2.

The relevant facts from the initial appearances are:-
CAC#1 Maxon appears to die of his own poison.
CAC#3 Maxon says he was immune to his own poison. He appears to die in an explosion.
CAC#7 CA&Bu think RS dead in the explosion. RS just says he's back, with no explanation. He appears to drown.
YA#1 RS knows Bucky. No-one mentions previous events. RS gets captured.
CAC#16 RS escapes prison. He falls from a plane.
YA#4 RS says he had a parachute. He falls from a cliff.
The story in ASC#2 hasn't been reprinted, so I don't know if it made any reference to YA#4.

The sequence of stories seems to be as listed above. There is a chain of connections from CAC#1 to CAC#7, and from YA#1 to YA#4. The weakest link is between CAC#7 and YA#1, but RS in YA#1 still appears to be the same as in the previous chain.

My dating system suggests:-
CAC#1 (Mar->Dec40)
CAC#3 (May->Feb41)
CAC#7 (Oct->Jul41)
YA#1 (Summer->Jun41)
CAC#16 (Jul->Apr42)
YA#4 (Summer->Jun42)
ASC#2 (Winter->Dec43)
This is all OK except that CAC#7 and YA#1 are the wrong way round, by a month. YA#1 should be with the Sep monthly CAC#6.

A detailed look at the adverts at the time is interesting.
No Sep monthlies have ads for YA#1.
The only Summer quarterly with an ad for YA#1 is HT#5a. This gives it a future date Jul 10th, ie with Oct's monthlies in my scheme.
YA#1 itself has an ad for the Oct Mystic Comics #6 as on sale now, and strangely it has 2 ads for the Oct CAC#7, one as on sale now, the other as on sale soon.
The Oct MMC#24 and CAC#7 have ads for YA#1 as on sale now.
This suggests to me that YA#1 was published in Jul, 1 month late on my scheme.
This makes RS's appearances in CAC#7 and YA#1 in the same month. And I can choose to make YA#1 after CAC#7. Or at least after the 1st story in CAC#7, which was the RS one.

OHOTMU's dating would have:-
CAC#1 (Mar->Dec40)
CAC#3 (May->Feb41)
CAC#7 (Oct->Jul41)
YA#1 (Summer->Mar41)
CAC#16 (Jul->Apr42)
YA#4 (Summer->Mar42)
ASC#2 (Winter->Sep43)
This brings YA#4 back to the month before CAC#16, and YA#1 comes well before CAC#7, so my deduced Timely order doesn't hold.

The Cap bibliography follows that dating exactly, and puts both YA issues in the 'wrong' places.

As it happens RS has a bibliography too. This too has YA#1 before CAC#7. But it puts YA#4 after CAC#16. It manages to get away with that, even though it categorises events by date, because it only categorises by year, not month, and so doesn't distinguish between Mar and Apr.

The Cap Index doesn't bother with dates, but moves YA#4 to immediately after CAC#16, referring in a NOTE to YA#4's flashback to CAC#16. However it claims that the RS in YA#1 wasn't the real one.

This brings me to the evolution of the modern Marvel history of RS.

Tales of Suspense #65 retold the 1st RS story from CAC#1. Here it claimed that RS had replaced the real Maxon. So no version of RS was actually named Maxon. Tales of Suspense #66 began a story in which Cap met the real RS, having deduced that 'Maxon' was just a pawn working for the real RS. This story doesn't correspond to any Timely tale. The 'Maxon' RS is never given a real name.

1983's OHOTMU didn't mention Timely comics, but did confirm that Maxon was not the real RS. RS's real name was unknown here.
The real RS was named Johann Schmidt in CA#298 in 1984, and this name was reflected in 1986's OHOTMU.
1989's OHOTMU Update included Timely comics in its information. It said RS's 1st appearance was CAC#7. Maxon was a fake in CAC#1 and CAC#3. It also said the RS in YA#1 was probably another fake pawn.

This is how things stood for many years. Then.....
2004's OHOTMU Golden Age had RS's 1st appearance as CAC#1. (This may have been a mistake at the time.)
2007's OHOTMU RS bibliography had RS's 1st appearance as YA#1, then CAC#7, CAC#16, YA#4.
2009's OHOTMU HC had RS sharing CAC#1 with Maxon. It described YA#1's RS as definitely another fake.
2010's CA Index agreed with that, but was confused about YA#4. The entry for CAC#7 said YA#4 may have a fake RS. The entry for CAC#16 said YA#4 had the real RS, and YA#4 followed CAC#16.

The Marvel Chronology Project has reflected these later changes. I have some snapshots of RS entries.
Up to at least 1999 MCP didn't have Timely entries.
The 2007 OHOTMU RS list YA#1, CAC#7, CAC#16, YA#4 appeared in MCP as early as 2002.
(Strangely MCP 2002's CA listing contradicted this, having YA#1 after CAC#10, much later than even my redating. This is the only time in any of the sources mentioned here that I've seen YA#1 after CAC#7. But MCP later moved CA's YA#1 back to after CAC#4, as per the OHOTMU dating system.)
2008 MCP added CAC#1 but didn't drop YA#1 from the appearances of the real RS.
Current MCP agrees with the latest OHOTMU/Index consensus CAC#1, CAC#7, CAC#16, YA#4.

Of course I don't know the reasoning behind all these changes.

If Johann Schmidt needed to be separated from 'Maxon', then CAC#7 was a good place to do it, as RS doesn't actually say that he survived CAC#3's explosion, just that he (who we now call Schmidt) is still alive. Putting him in CAC#1 with 'Maxon' explains why he knows CA&Bu and his own henchmen in CAC#7.

If the OHOTMU dating system (its supposed relation between monthly and quarterly issues, but not necessarily its 3 month backdating) was the accepted theory all along, then its dating of YA#1 would be awkward as CA&Bu say in CAC#7 that the last time they saw RS was in CAC#3. If this is the (or a main) reason for saying YA#1's RS wasn't 'Maxon' or Schmidt (and CA&Bu knew that because they captured and unmasked him, and he's in prison), then my reshuffle removes that reason. (However you may think a more valid reason is that the YA shouldn't have been able to make a fool of the real RS. And the real RS shouldn't get captured.)

Of course I must admit that the extra modern tales that have been inserted in this era will have severed some of the links that validate the chain of Timely appearances. But I don't believe that means we should change the Timely sequence without good reason.
robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by robfj »

For my last trick (you may be glad to hear) I'm going to apply my dating system to mentions of Pearl Harbor or other events in the succeeding month. I'm going to consider issues that the Captain America and Sub-Mariner online bibliographies attribute to August 1941 to March 1942 (the reason for the wide spread will become clear).

I'm going to ignore modern interpolated stories. I'm also going to ignore the story from Sub-Mariner Comics #23 which his bibliography brings so far forward in order to justify Shark's inclusion in Avengers #71/Invaders Annual #1.

The titles mentioned are Captain America Comics, Marvel Mystery Comics, All Winners Comics, Young Allies, Human Torch and Sub-Mariner Comics.
The ex-OHOTMU bibliography version of cover dates and backdated publication dates is:-
Aug 41
CA Biblio has CAC#8 (Nov->Aug)
SM Biblio has MMC#25 (Nov->Aug), MMC#26 (Dec->Sep)
Sep 41
CA Biblio has CAC#9 (Dec->Sep), AWC#3 [Winter->Sep], YA#2 [Winter->Sep]
SM Biblio has AWC#3 [Winter->Sep], HT#6 [Winter->Sep], SMC#4 [Winter->Sep]
Oct 41
CA Biblio has CAC#10 (Jan->Oct)
SM Biblio has MMC#27 (Jan->Oct), MMC#28 (Feb->Nov), MMC#29 (Mar->Dec), MMC#30 (Apr->Jan)
Nov 41
CA Biblio has CAC#11 (Feb->Nov)
SM Biblio has nothing
Dec 41
CA Biblio has CAC#12 (Mar->Dec), AWC#4 [Spring->Dec]
SM Biblio has HT#7 [Spring->Dec], SMC#5 [Spring->Dec], AWC#4 [Spring->Dec], MMC#31 (May->Feb)
Jan 42
CA Biblio has CAC#13 (Apr->Jan)
SM Biblio has nothing
Feb 42
CA Biblio has CAC#14 (May->Feb)
SM Biblio has nothing
Mar 42
CA Biblio has CAC#15 (Jun->Mar), AWC#5 [Sum->Mar]. YA#4 [Sum->Mar]
SM Biblio has SMC#6 [Sum->Mar], HT#8 [Sum->Mar], MMC#32 (Jun->Mar), AWC#5 [Sum->Mar]
The recent CA Index basically agrees, except it puts YA#4 later after CAC#16.

The bibliographies list every issue in the month of its supposed publication date except some issues of MMC.
MMC#25-26 are combined in MMC#25's Aug.
MMC#27-30 are combined in MMC#27's Oct.
MMC#31 with publication date Feb is 3 months early in Dec.
Then there's a gap until MMC#32 resumes correctly in Mar.

These issues haven't yet been reprinted in Masterworks so I can't check them. But Grand Comics Database holds some information on them.
MMC#25-26 is a continued story, so is reasonably placed in its 1st month.
But MMC#27-30 appear to be individual stories, and so have no reason to be lumped together.
Except that MMC#31 has to be placed in Dec, because its SM story dates itself Dec 11-14, and its HT story is described as immediately after Pearl Harbor.

Timely comics have been featuring anti-Nazi and anti-Japanese stories since the beginning, so it isn't always obvious which stories are set after the US enters the war. But the Spring quarterlies have many mentions of the US at war.
HT#7 has a HT story which says the US is at war, and a SM story on Wake Island after it's taken by the Japanese.
SMC#5 has a SM story set after Manila falls.
AWC#4's HT story is after war is declared.
YA#3 (not in the bibliography because Cap isn't in it) is also after war is declared.

There is a question whether these stories could have been produced in time for issues published in Dec. MMC#31 isn't a problem because it was published in Feb. In fact Timely only managed to get "Remember Pearl Harbor" on the covers of monthlies issued in Jan, not the ones in Dec. And that would be easier than getting stories written and drawn.

In more fact the fall of Manila wasn't until early Jan, so SMC#5 couldn't be be published in Dec. And Wake Island didn't finally succumb until very late in Dec, making HT#7's Dec date impossible too.

My publication dating, without combining MMC's, throws a new light on the subject.
Aug 41
CAC#8 (Nov->Aug), MMC#25 (Nov->Aug)
Sep 41
CAC#9 (Dec->Sep). MMC#26 (Dec->Sep)
Oct 41
CAC#10 (Jan->Oct), MMC#27 (Jan->Oct)
Nov 41
CAC#11 (Feb->Nov), MMC#28 (Feb->Nov)
Dec 41
CAC#12 (Mar->Dec), MMC#29 (Mar->Dec), AWC#3 (Win->Dec), YA#2 (Win->Dec), HT#6 (Win->Dec), SMC#4 (Win->Dec)
Jan 42
CAC#13 (Apr->Jan), MMC#30 (Apr->Jan)
Feb 42
CAC#14 (May->Feb), MMC#31 (May->Feb)
Mar 42
CAC#15 (Jun->Mar), MMC#32 (Jun->Mar), AWC#4 (Spr->Mar), YA#3 (Spr->Mar), HT#7 (Spr->Mar), SMC#5 (Spr->Mar)
I can move the SM continuation in MMC#26 back to Aug. But I don't have to bunch up MMC#27-30.
The Summer set of quarterlies has dropped of the end. (I could have added Fall ones in Sep.)

The Spring quarterlies are out in Mar, just after MMC#31 in Feb.
The Winter quarterlies in Dec, and monthlies in Jan haven't had time to put the war in their stories. (Even though the Jan monthlies had Pearl Harbor on the covers.)
The Feb MMC#31 had time to react. The quarterlies had to wait until Mar. But they were also able to mention Wake Island from late Dec and Jan's Manila attack.

Ie it took 1 month to get current events on the covers, but 2 months to get them in the stories.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

This is very difficult to chew through, but fascinating and rewarding to read. Ultimately I'm enjoying it -- thanks, Robfj!

-Jeph!