Sgt Fury # 34 - Origin of the Howlers

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

jackolover
Minion
Minion

Sgt Fury # 34 - Origin of the Howlers

Post by jackolover »

Does anybody have a synopsis for this book. I can't locate it, and I feel it's important to knowing the background to why Nick Fury has a group like this. It's not as though Nick was assigned a regular army group and they just stuck by him. Something else happened to make them special forces.
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Sgt Fury # 34 - Origin of the Howlers

Post by ShadZ »

There's a synopsis here, but it may not be detailed enough for what you are looking for:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Sgt_Fury_and_hi ... s_Vol_1_34
ShadZ
jackolover
Minion
Minion

Post by jackolover »

ShadZ wrote:There's a synopsis here, but it may not be detailed enough for what you are looking for:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Sgt_Fury_and_hi ... s_Vol_1_34
Yes,thanks. I've seen this one. But I need a little more detail. I was wondering if anyone has read the book that might be able to speak more about the how Sawyer located the members of the Howlers. I know Dum Dum was a circus strongman from the above synopsis, but what about the rest of them, and what about the mission that Sawyer wanted these 3 teams for?
jackolover
Minion
Minion

Post by jackolover »

I was lucky enough to get this from a back issues friend. Though it doesn't give details of how Nick became a Sargent, it becomes pretty evident that Nick takes things into his own hands and makes things happen. So here is the Synopsis I have been waiting for.

The issue spends a lot of time on a single mission to Holland in the 1940, where Lt Sawyer conscripts 2 civilians, Nick Fury and Red Hargrove, to fly there. They crash and meet Dum Dum Dugan, the strong man of a wandering circus caught when the Germans invade Holland. The 4 track down a British agent spy with secret papers, which is their mission, but get surrounded by the German Army on the Chanel coast. Dugan steals a speed boat and gets the 4 on board to flee Holland and almost make it to Britain, but are sunk and rescued.

The reason for this long winded story in Holland is because it is this mission that convinces Fury to join the Army because of Germany's "Protection" of Holland causing the displacement of so many. Nick trains for the service in Sgt Fury # 62, and is sent to Hawaai with Red Hargrove, and it's by this time that Nick is a Sargent already. Red is killed and Nick vows to chase the Japs and the Nazi's to the ends of the earth till they are eradicated.

We next see Capt Sawyer, ("Happy Sam" because he never smiles), and Dugan in a Ranger unit fighting in Nth Africa, when Sawyer is wounded and gets a desk job, where he was required to form a new and Special Squad of Rangers, and he hand picks Dugan and Fury, as well as the well known Howlers as recruits.

That was the formation of the Howlers, but none of their missions, which is covered in the Sgt Fury books by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I think Sawyer was picked to head up the Commando team Formation, because Sawyer had had experience behind enemy lines, and so did Nick and Dugan. No mission statement was given except that the Rangers were the same as Britains Commandos, but the Special Squad of Howlers was something different. These, I think, were supposed to run missions behind enemy lines and were the most dangerous.

So there we have it. The way Nick Fury became Sgt Fury was a complicated set of circumstances revolving around civilian missions inside Europe followed by basic training and the consequent natural promotion a person like Nick Fury has. His own personal mission during the War, was to do with the effect Hollands invasion, and the death of Red Hargrove had on him as a person. Both Steve Rogers and Nick Fury came from the same place, and were effected at the same time, (with Steve's brother, and Red, both killed in Pearl Harbour), and it was only the tragic circumstances that separate Rogers and Fury. Rogers went to Special Services for an experiment to make a Super Soldier. Nick Fury was the Super Soldier, and they both met and fought through the war together, Nick surviving to be CIA and SHIELD under Rome, before forming the first Avengers in 1959. Steve dying in 1945, and reawakened in 1963 to form the Avengers again.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Steve's brother wasn't killed at Pearl Harbor- that was revealed to be a false memory in Captain America 247 after several people pointed out that Steve becoming Captain America to avenge his brother who died at Pearl Harbor was impossible because Steve was already Cap by Pearl Harbor (he had his first meeting with Namor before Pearl Harbor).
jackolover
Minion
Minion

Post by jackolover »

Thanks for that clarification. I wasn't aware of that detail. If that is true, then the similarity between Fury and Rogers reduces somewhat.