GSA2 1/2

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

GSA2 1/2

Post by Russ Chappell »

I'm seeking placement thoughts on this Jarvis story.

Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Vision & Scarlet Witch appear to be on the roster. Thor might be on the roster, or he may be visiting. Iron Man is in his classical red-and-gold armor, but there are hints that it takes place at some point after Demon in a Bottle (IM 128), and thus between A 185 & A 232.

I've scanned the Iron Man, Cap & Avengers Indexes and don't find this story. Oddly enough, the third story is included in Iron Man's index, so I have to wonder, is there some indication that this story is apocryphal?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
John Simons
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: GSA2 1/2

Post by John Simons »

Upon a quick reading, the only bit I find problematic is someone off-panel (Cap?) calling Iron Man "Tony". At the time of A 185-211 (I narrowed it a bit since Vizh and Wanda left after that) it wasn't generally known, even among his teammates, that Tony was Shellhead.

Still I wouldn't think one throwaway line would be enough to declare the comic non-canon, or would it?

Other than that, it does seem to have a Michilinie/Byrne/Perez era feel to it, doesn't it?

In order to validate the Tony remark, someone would have to come up with a more modern time that Iron Man wore his classic armor. For example I know he reverted to it toward the end of the Busiek run, but to place the story there you would have to ignore some of the details of Wanda's and Clint's costumes in this story.
"Jessica, whatever you do...don't contradict the continuity! They'll eat you alive! They'll. Eat. You. Alive!"
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GSA2 1/2

Post by Russ Chappell »

Good catch.

The story is basically a visual representation of a magazine article that Jarvis has written, so I would think that, if necessary, either the "Tony" slip or minor details of Wanda & Hawkeye's costumes could be chalked up to a faulty memory on Jarvis' part.

I would prefer to place it in the 185-211 slot, because, yes, it just feels better there.

Hmmm...are there any problems with between A@ 9 & A 189? There appears to be a break between the two (when Jarvis appears in M/TIO 61), everyone appears in both stories (Hawkeye & Wanda are both reservists, but that's no problem), and A 189 begins with Thor flying away from the Mansion.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe