Hashing out X-Men post utopa-pre regenesis (now expanded)

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Lucifer
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Hashing out X-Men post utopa-pre regenesis

Post by Lucifer »

Why is Wolverine: The Best There Is placed before UX 515? WTBTI was published in early 2011, UX 515 came out in 2009.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Hey Lucifer

I placed it there based on the fact that Beast is a member of the X-Men during those two story arcs. Beast leaves the X-Men during the Nation X storyline, and only returns briefly during Second Coming. While publication date is a good clue to when stories happen, the story lines themselves dictate where they are placed.

Do you have a better suggestion? I'm always open to suggestions.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Does any one have a preference as to where to place Chaos War, before or after Curse of the Mutants?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Beast leaves the X-Men during the Nation X storyline, and only returns briefly during Second Coming.
...so why not place it after Second Coming, then?

Beast also returns briefly for Diamond Lil's funeral, post-Necrosha, IIRC.

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Jeph,

Beast is not at the funeral, only Wolverine, Gambit, Cyclops, Doctor Nemesis, and Madison. That happens on pg.1 of Nation X no.3/3 (Day 45). The rest of the story takes place before Necrosha as people are moving to the island. Am I missing it shown else where?

He does return after Second Coming, but doesn't he let Scott know "He isn't staying" he only came back for Kurt. I've been trying to tighten this list up as I go by series, moving backwards from Fear Itself right now. I'm sure I've missed things.
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

Hi Jason, I'm back. :yepp: After Fear Itself I took some downtime before breaking my head about other chronology issues regarding the X-Men.

I do agree with your reasoning to put the whole "Wolverine is the Best There Is" series before Beast leaving the X-Men. I can remember that at the launch of the series no-one could determine when this series took place, because of the inclusion of Beast as part of the X-Men. It's a horrible series BTW, but that aside.

It's not placeable at Second Coming or any other place after that. It could maybe be placed before Nation X? But I didn't too much digging yet. For now, I don't have any objections. My own serious chronology starts at Second Coming onwards. I've wanted to go back when I have time... :hmmm:
Lucifer wrote:I think a gap between UX 526-529 (Birth of Generation Hope) and UX 530-534 (Quarantaine) is awkward. In 529 we see the first signs of sickness, which is followed up on in Quarantaine. Also we see Fantomex, Kitty and Emma leaving Utopia in E.V.A. with Shaw. In Quarantaine they are still in E.V.A. and that storyline ends in 534 when Shaw is left in China without his memories.

I'd place UX 526-534 before Gen Hope 1-4.
Hi Lucifer, it's down to one of my posts that Jason had put it there. Although your suggestion at first seems reasonable, it's not possible. The most important reason for that is that Cyclops leaves for Japan to accompany Wolverine who's keeping track of one of the Lights, I thought in UXM #527. Their story is followed up in Generation Hope. The gathering of the first 4 Lights takes place in UXM 526-529, then they immediately leave for Japan also to search the Fifth Light. The Five Lights, Cyclops and Wolverine are all part of the Quarantine arc.

The only solution is adding page numbers, as we did sooo much in Fear Itself. At the start of this topic I thought our goal was to avoid page numbering, but it's near to impossible.

The following split can be made UNCANNY X-MEN v1 #529 (p. 1-16) as last part of the THE FIVE LIGHTS. And UNCANNY X-MEN v1 #529 (p. 17-22) as first part of QUARANTINE.
Jason Doty wrote:I added in X-23 and Namor: The First Mutant.

I placed the X-23 no.1-19, the final two issues take place after schism. The entire run of X-23 no.1-19 has to come between Wolverine goes to hell and Age of X, in order to have Gambit back, who was her traveling partner throughout those issues.

Namor started during Curse of the Mutants and had to end prior to Escape from the Negative Zone.
As for X-23 v3 #1-19 I agree it has to be placed as one story. I'm not sure though it had to be before Age of X. I will give this some more thought, the same as to your comment about Namor to be placed prior to Escape from the Negative Zone.

What I'm quite sure of is that X-23 v3 # 17-21 takes place after Schism and not just the two final issues. Reasoning is that Wolverine talks to Hellion in #17 about his move to the school. Hellion and Gambit being in New York. At the end of #19 Jubilee appears to have a girls night out with X-23. She is visiting as she tells X-23 later.
Emerald_616
Hero
Hero

Post by Emerald_616 »

I know this isn't the most reputable evidence, but I read an interview from one of the X-editors implying that Lost Legions and Five Miles South of the Universe in X-Men Legacy happen between Schism and Regenesis. I don't have the time at the moment, but I'm going to reread the Age of X fallout, Schism, and the two aforementioned story arcs + Half a Step to make sure.

Also, since I'm new here, was it decided whether or not X-Force #12-20 happen before Utopia? I read the thread about it from a few years ago, but it seemed nothing was finalized.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Hey Frans,
You are correct. I'll put a break between X-23 no.16 and 17, which moves 17-21 after Schism and past the point of the current list. This allows Gambit to get back before Age of X, lets X-23 be in San Fran for Fear Itself until she gets pulled in to the Chosen story Arc in fear Itself and then we can assume Schism happened while she was making her way back from that adventure.

I'll also put the page breaks between the Uncanny issues that Lucifer suggested to make that flow better. That sound good?
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

Emerald_616 wrote:I know this isn't the most reputable evidence, but I read an interview from one of the X-editors implying that Lost Legions and Five Miles South of the Universe in X-Men Legacy happen between Schism and Regenesis. I don't have the time at the moment, but I'm going to reread the Age of X fallout, Schism, and the two aforementioned story arcs + Half a Step to make sure.
Hi Emerald, you're 100% right. It's Mike Carey, the writer of X-Men Legacy for those arcs, who implied that the "Five Miles South of the Universe" arc should happen after Schism. It doesn't make any sense, and fans all over the world chose to ignore that interview statement. Odd fact is that it contradicts his own stories, because there is no space between Lost Legions and "Five Miles". It flows better when you combine the Legacy stories and they have to be finished before Fear Itself and Schism. We have to assume that Havok, Polaris and the Starjammers are behind the screens for these arcs.
Jason Doty wrote:I just updated "Curse of the Mutants," Please let me know what you think about the intertwining of the issues.
Hi Jason, I've gone through my notes on Curse of the Mutants. In general, I agree with you, just some discussion points or finetuning.

DEADPOOL v2 #30 and #31
I thought Deadpool #30 and #31 should happen directly after (or controversial just before) DEATH OF DRACULA, because the Claw Sect and the Mystikos Sect are fighting each other in the Deadpool issues. During Curse of the Mutants both sects unite and fight under Xarus.

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MUTANTS-X-MEN VS. VAMPIRES v1 #1 (HUSK)
This story has to happen after X-MEN v3 #2, because Husk is looking for Jubilee, who happens to flee from Utopia at the end of X-MEN v3 #2.

Personally I think that all stories from X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MUTANTS-X-MEN VS. VAMPIRES v1 #1 and #2 fit better after X-MEN v3 #2 then after #1. But maybe, that's just me.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I placed those X-Men vs. Vampires there because Cyclops was out fighting vampires when Wolverine, Colossus and Blade returned with the big Vamp. In no.1/4, I figured Colossus and Wolverine branched off from that battle to the beginning of X-Men v3 no.2, but the truth is it really dose'nt mater. I like your set up just as well. It's changed.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I also finished placing all if the Avengers v4 and New Avengers v2 that happen prior to Fear Itself all which feature Wolverine.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I've added in Chaos War this morning. As always, let me know what you think.

Also I think the next major cross over prior to Chaos War would be Shadowland, which features Wolverine, in turn this effects Black Panther: The Man Without Fear which has Storm in some of the issues. Does anyone have a preference of where this story line goes.

I'll also try and work on the Secret Avengers, this week.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

We discussed how Shadowland should fit in with New Avengers, Thunderbolts and Amazing Spider-Man here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5505
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Hey Michael,
After reading that exchange I added in the issues as place holder for further discussion.

I'll work on tightening up the second coming cross-over next, and then add in Black Panther: The Man Without Fear (Storm).

After that should be adding in Secret Avengers (Beast), Thunderbolts (Juggernaut), and Avengers Academy and tightening up Shadowland as I move backwards.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Updated Second Coming cross-over. I think I'll move over to X-Factor next, before tackling Black Panther. As always feel free to critique the placements.