N'astirh

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

N'astirh

Post by metaldragon »

In N'astirh's listing, PP 40 is placed before XF 32. This is backwards.

In XF 32 (Sept 1988) Cameron Hodge has used one of Belasco's old spells he found to contact N'astirh who says to Hodge, "It is... most unusual... for us in Limbo to receive a call from your dimension..." This is the first call he's received from Hodge. He also mentions he's reluctant to leave his studies. Hodge offers N'astirh first his soul, then mutant babies in exchange for protection against Death (the mutant fka Angel).

In PP 40 (Sept 1988) N'astirh says to Carmody "What about your masters, the Right? They had a deal with me." Carmody replies: "So what if they did, demon? Their leader's gone. Their operation's in shambles. That mutant garbage is mine to sell, as I choose." This means N'astirh made the deal with Hodge for mutant babies before Carmody contacts him. [Side note: strangely, N'astirh is coloured red in his appearance here but this obviously takes place before he is infected with S'ym's trans-mode virus (NM 72, pg 24/XTERM 4, pg 27) due to the New Mutants appearance here between NM 66 & 67. His colour up to that point was green. Further note: he appears green in the flashback sequence at the beginning of PP 42.]

I believe XF 32 may be N'astirh's first official appearance.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: N'astirh

Post by Michael »

Here's the problem, though. Carmody can't be talking about Hodge's seeming death in XF 34, for several reasons:
(1) PP 40 takes place prior to NM 67. The Inferno issues of New Mutants are NM 71-73. Warren flies directly from the Right headquarters to New York to stop the Inferno in XF 36, and this takes place shortly after Hodge is killed. Unless Warren decided to take the scenic route while on the way to stop a demon invasion, PP 40 has to take place before XF 34.
(2) N'astirh definitely knows Hodge is alive after XF 34, since it was his magics that enabled Hodge to survive.
(3) The writers probably didn't intend for Carmody to be referring to Hodge's death in XF 34 since it wouldn't be published for another two months.
Carmody was probably referring to Hodge's "death" in NM 60.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I'm not talking about placing PP 40 after XF 34, just after XF 32. N'astirh's dialogue makes it pretty clear in PP 40 that Carmody contacting him there must take place after Hodge contacts him in XF 32.

That's correct (3). I assumed Carmody WAS talking about the events of NM 60. I believe Hodge went underground after surviving the plane crash in NM 60 and The Right as an organization was essentially defunct from that point. One is left to assume Carmody didn't find out that Hodge actually survived the plane crash in NM 60.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I'm studying the Inferno crossover and it looks like N'astirh's chronology should go like:

{XF 32} Hodge contacts N'astirh using some ancient spells of Belasco's he discovered. In exchange for protection from Death (fka Angel) he offers N'astirh his soul, then mutant babies.
XTERM 1 (pg 1-3) S'ym summons N'astirh from his magikal studies and orders him to travel to Earth to gather 13 mutant babies. There is a brief power struggle between them but N'astirh backs down because S'ym's plans parallel his own. (This may take place before XF 32?) [This technically isn't a flashback because it takes place before the other events of this issue, yet it kind of is because it takes place before events in other titles which were published before XTERM 1.]
PP 40 Carmody (aka Boogeyman) contacts N'astirh (with spells he probably got from The Right) and offers him mutant children in exchange for power. After loosing a battle with Power Pack and the New Mutants, Carmody ends up in Limbo.
PP 42-FB N'astirh strips Carmody of his humanity in Limbo and turns him into a real Boogeyman.
UX 236 N'astirh attempts to contact Madelyne Pryor through the X-Men's weird computer in their Australian base. She is not there because she'd been kidnapped and taken to Genosha.
XTERM 1 (pg 4-5) N'astirh arrives on Earth and begins casting his spells.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Why can't N'astirh's appearance in UX 236 take place after he arrives on Earth?
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

It's entirely possible it could. I haven't double checked the timing on that part yet.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I'm curious about this part of his listing:
PP 42-FB
UX 236
XTERM 1
UX 238-BTS
XTERM 2
XF 34
PP 42
UX 239

Is his appearance in PP 42 there meant to be a BTS because he's creating the spells which caused the heat wave and animated objects? Or does this suggest he's responsible for sending Boogyman back to Earth? I can't see where he appears in PP 42 outside of the FB section (pg 1-4, which takes place right after PP 40 according to the dialogue).

The moment the giant portal opens over Time Square takes place in PP 42 on pg 16-17 (see: XTERM 4/NM 71/XF 36/A 300) but I only see the New Mutants and S'ym in the crowd of demons. This could count as an OP or BTS appearance because we know he's up on the roof of a building overlooking Time Square (as shown in XTERM 4). That's the only other place I can find that comes close to an appearance for him. That would belong between XTERM 4 & A 300 in his listing. It's possible he'd also need OP or BTS listings of NM 71 there too.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

While doing further research I discovered that a younger version of N'astirh appears in NM 71. While stuck in Limbo, Magik teleports the New Mutants into the past where they see her as a child being tormented by S'ym. He is attacked by N'astirh. Since they are actually in the past, would that still be a flashback listing? Also, the opening pages of XTERM 1 probably takes place before N'astirh is contacted by Hodge and Carmody but isn't technically a flashback either because it takes place before the events of the rest of the story. I'll just call them FBs for now.

N'astirh
NM 71-FB
XTERM 1-FB
{XF 32}
PP 40
PP 42-FB
UX 236 (it's possible this could take place after N'astirh arrives on Earth which could place it sometime during XTERM 1 or between 1 & 2)
XTERM 1
XF 34
XTERM 2
UX 238-BTS
XTERM 2
UX 239
XTERM 3
NM 71
XTERM 3
UX 240
UX 241 (pg 1-3)
NM 71
XTERM 3
XTERM 4
NM 72 (pg 1-6)
A 300
UX 241 (pg 19-20)
XTERM 4 (pg 13-16)
NM 72 (pg 9)
XTERM 4 (pg 21-25)
NM 72 (pg 23-24)
XTERM 4 (pg 26-30)
NM 72 (pg 27-31)
XF 37 (pg 4-7)
UX 241 (last page)
XF 37 (pg 8-on)
PPTSS 147
XCAL 6
FF 324
NM 73
UX 242

I'm working on the page numbers of his appearances elsewhere during XTERM 1-3 yet and will post those if anyone is interested. There are also a number of footnotes in these issues which confirm placement that I can add later too.
Last edited by metaldragon on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

There is also an addition to Crotus's listing. He also appears in the earlier timezone segment of NM 71:

Crotus
NM 71-FB
{XTERM 1}
XTERM 2
XTERM 3 ~ XF 36
XTERM 4
XCAL 7
C&D3 4
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

metaldragon wrote:While doing further research I discovered that a younger version of N'astirh appears in NM 70. While stuck in Limbo, Magik teleports the New Mutants into the past where they see her as a child being tormented by S'ym. He is attacked by N'astirh. Since they are actually in the past, would that still be a flashback listing? Also, the opening pages of XTERM 1 probably takes place before N'astirh is contacted by Hodge and Carmody but isn't technically a flashback either because it takes place before the events of the rest of the story. I'll just call them FBs for now.

N'astirh
NM 70-FB
XTERM 1-FB
You mean NM 71, not NM 70, right?
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

You are correct! Thanks, I'll fix that.