Dire Wraith in Fear Itself

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

lkseitz
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Dire Wraith in Fear Itself

Post by lkseitz »

I'm not a big fan of comic book "events." Of course, I'm also the guy that collects obscure characters like Rom, Devil Dinosaur, and Gravity, so what do I know? Anyway, since I was busy ignoring Fear Itself, I seem to be very late to the party in discovering the Fear Itself: The Fearless featured a Dire Wraith. Can anyone confirm the the Wraith only appeared in that series? Even better, which issues? It looks like it might be #1 & #5-12. I know it's on the cover of #5. I suppose I might be better off finding the TPB. Whaddya mean it's only out in hard cover??? *brickwall*
Lee K. Seitz
Slowly adding insignificant characters to the MCP
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Dire Wraith in Fear Itself

Post by DonCampbell »

lkseitz wrote:I suppose I might be better off finding the TPB. Whaddya mean it's only out in hard cover???
If you want answers now (or want to avoid the expense of the HC). then how's this for an alternative?

List of recent Dire Wraith appearances:

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #1 (December, 2011)
On page 15, Crossbones presents data on all the known locations of the hammers formerly wielded by the Worthy to Sin and two companions. One of those companions seems to be a Dire Wraith wearing a cloak.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #2 (January, 2012)
On page 11, one of Sin’s associates (with a strange voice) talks to Crossbones over his radio about the “magical gizmo” that he is using to locate the Worthy’s hammers.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #3 (January, 2012)
On page 13, a robed Dire Wraith casts a spell that transports Crossbones to Mistress Sin’s compound in South Carolina.
On page 21, Sin’s associates identify themselves as D.O.A.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #5 (February, 2012) – The Dire Wraith who is a member of D.O.A. is shown clearly for the first time. During an attack on The Raft, the Wraith uses its tongue to tear information from the mind of a guard. The tongue later is seen to be unable to penetrate Luke Cage’s unbreakable skin. The Wraith later opens a mystic portal to D.O.A.’s headquarters in South Carolina.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #6 (March, 2012) – Sin and the D.O.A. (including the Dire Wraith) attack Project: Pegasus where they battle the Avengers. Hawkeye ends up fighting the Wraith and refers to it as “a giant mutant lobster.”

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #7 (March, 2012) – D.O.A. (including the Dire Wraith) battle the Avengers at Project: Pegasus. The Wraith is shown attacking Spider-Woman with an energy blast from her forehead and later uses Norse (or Runic?) magic to teleport herself, Sin, Crossbones, Hellstrom and a Hammer away.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #8 (April, 2012) – It is revealed that the Dire Wraith helped the D.O.A. rescue Sin from an armored prison transport helicopter by replacing one of the pilots. During the rescue, the Wraith summoned a Deathwing to destroy the two other choppers and ate the brain of the other pilot. In the present, the Dire Wraith does not appear on panel.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #9 (April, 2012) – The Dire Wraith is with Hellstrom and the D.O.A. team that attacks Valkyrie’s pocket dimension.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #10 (May, 2012) – The Dire Wraith is with the D.O.A. team that steals the four Hammers which Valkyrie had recovered. Later, the Dire Wraith is present after Sin’s mind has entered the Serpent’s Destroyer, the Final Sleeper.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #11 (May, 2012) – The Dire Wraith is among the D.O.A. members who accompany the Final Sleeper when it attacks Charleston, South Carolina.

FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #12 (June, 2012) – In Charleston, South Carolina, the Dire Wraith rants about how she has longed to see Earth purged. Later, as Valkyrie is defeating Sin, Hellstrom teleports himself and the Dire Wraith away. In the end, the Dire Wraith is present in the Dunwich Catacombs when Crossbones brings Sin to the reborn D.O.A.

Don Campbell
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Btw, the character's name is Wraithwitch.
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

Hey Loki, where did you find the name? I wasn't able to find it.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

The name was given in the scripts, and revealed in the DOA handbook profile included in the Fear Itself: The Fearless hardcover.
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

Excellent, thanks. That figures, I don't have the harcover, just the issues.

Is the DOA character with all the insects also named in the DOA handbook section? Or all the other villains/demons that appear?
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Frans wrote:Excellent, thanks. That figures, I don't have the harcover, just the issues.

Is the DOA character with all the insects also named in the DOA handbook section? Or all the other villains/demons that appear?
Not sure which one you mean when you say the one with all the insects, unless you mean the Host (bottom right http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... 9_0001.jpg). And yes, most of the new members are identified.
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

Thanks Loki, that's the one... Do you know how you can obtain this handbook section of DOA (without having to buy the HC)?

Strange that you only get this extra information when you buy the hardcover. But if you buy all the single issues you come up with nothing? Thanks Marvel!
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Frans wrote:Thanks Loki, that's the one... Do you know how you can obtain this handbook section of DOA (without having to buy the HC)?
At the moment the only way is to buy the HC. There's always a possibility that Marvel might eventually collect together handbook entries that have appeared in various places since the regular issues stopped, but if they do, it's unlikely to be any time soon.
Frans wrote: Strange that you only get this extra information when you buy the hardcover. But if you buy all the single issues you come up with nothing? Thanks Marvel!
It's frustrating for those who have bought the individual issues, I know, but it comes down to a few factors: First, Marvel has to include some extras in most collections, because, for printing reasons, the total page count needs to be a multiple of 8. As such, depending on how many pages are needed for stories and covers, it might be necessary to include up to seven additional pages; better to fill them with bonus content than to leave them blank. Second, Marvel likes to spruce up collections with bonuses, such as variant covers, etc, anyway.
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

Thanks again Loki, it's indeed frustrating. Maybe I'm gonna drop an email to Marvel, probably to no avail. Or step away from buying single issues and only do TPB and HC?

Have you got the names of the characters on the picture you've shown? I've searched the net 'til my eyes are red and burning. So far I came up with:
bottom row: Manbat, Master Pandemonium, Venomm
next row above: (second and third from right) Wildpride and Yith
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Frans wrote:Thanks again Loki, it's indeed frustrating. Maybe I'm gonna drop an email to Marvel, probably to no avail. Or step away from buying single issues and only do TPB and HC?
If you do drop an e-mail, please suggest they publish these entries in handbooks too, rather than not include them in the TPBs and HC - otherwise you might simply encourage Marvel to drop the profiles entirely, with not even the odd one in the TPBs. I'd rather Marvel decide to publish enough of them to collect together.
Frans wrote:Have you got the names of the characters on the picture you've shown? I've searched the net 'til my eyes are red and burning. So far I came up with:
bottom row: Manbat, Master Pandemonium, Venomm
next row above: (second and third from right) Wildpride and Yith
Not Manbat.
Front row, left to right: Dr. Emil Kreagan, Master Pandemonium, Venomm (and his snakes).
Second row, left to right: I’xx’ll’tk (small winged insectoid with spear - may be his species, rather than an individual name, as there's another two who look similar to him further back, visible but indistinct), the Confessor (horned guy with hands hidden beneath robe), Chimera (red kimono), Witchfire (glowing hands), the Ghoul (grinning guy above Witchfire's left shoulder), Yith (snake torso), Julia Crane (white haired woman next to Yith's left elbow), Wildpride (black skin, tattoos), the Hound (werewolf to Wildpride's left).
Third row, left to right: Bestial (big furred guy with horns and tusks), the Gargoyle Brothers (pair of winged guys with elongated heads), Lord Quietus (no-nosed and wearing red hood), Atua-Thaugul (hump-backed no-nose above Yith), Sorrowful Maiden (woman below Atua-s chin and above Yith's shoulder), Morgan Cur (black haired man with Sorrowful Maiden above him, and Yith and Julia Crane below), the Harkspur Brood (scar-eyed bald man, mohawk guy and green hood/face mask - might also include the guy in the armpit above them, and the two men, one bearded and one bald, to the very right of picture, but it's not entirely clear).
At the back, left to right: Urgoth Krall (x-shaped bandolier, bald and no nose, above Gargoyle Brother left wing), the Ghast (floating spectral entity immediately to right of Krall), Philomena Kensington (lupine individual [werewolf?] to right of Ghast's "tail"), Ogre (wearing a human-skull necklace).

Of the above, only those bolded have appeared before, afaik.
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

Impressive and thanks for the quick assist! :D

In the issues following #8 more characters of the new DOA appear. Are these also named in the handbook pages of the hardcover? Here are a few.
Various 10 .jpg
Various 10 .jpg (206.28 KiB) Viewed 12373 times
Various 10.jpg
Various 10.jpg (194.64 KiB) Viewed 12373 times
Troll 11.jpg
Troll 11.jpg (189.1 KiB) Viewed 12373 times
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

And the last batch
Various 10.jpg
Various 10.jpg (194.64 KiB) Viewed 12373 times
Various 11.jpg
Various 11.jpg (215.55 KiB) Viewed 12373 times
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Frans wrote:Impressive and thanks for the quick assist! :D

In the issues following #8 more characters of the new DOA appear. Are these also named in the handbook pages of the hardcover? Here are a few.
Various 10 .jpg
Various 10.jpg
Troll 11.jpg
Not as far as I can tell, though I'm checking with the entry writer to see what he says. At least a few of the characters you've highlighted are in the group shot I included - bottom character of the second image looks to be Ogre, while the top panel of the same image with the green coated man with glowing green hands looks to me to be the green hooded member of the Harkspur Brood.

Also, it is possible that some of the highlighted characters are just generic demons - Master Pandemonium can pour a host of the darned things out his body at will. The pair with four eyes look familiar though - I'm sure I've seen those somewhere before.
lkseitz
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by lkseitz »

DonCampbell wrote:If you want answers now (or want to avoid the expense of the HC). then how's this for an alternative?

List of recent Dire Wraith appearances:
Thanks, Don!
Lee K. Seitz
Slowly adding insignificant characters to the MCP