Hulk Season One

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Hulk Season One

Post by Leoparis »

According to Marvel copy: "This is the definitive origin of the Hulk — as well as Betty Ross, now Red She-Hulk; and General “Thunderbolt” Ross, now the avenging Red Hulk! Plus: Gamma Base, Rick Jones and the introduction of a new Hulk villain that will continue to haunt both him and his alter ego, Dr. Bruce Banner, in present continuity!"

So I'm going to try to see what I can do but this will likely be the same as origin retellings like DD: Man Without Fear.

p 1: a fake town to measure the effects of the bomb with live chimps in cages
p 2: Banner saves a teenager who has crashed his car in the square (= panels 1-2 p 4 of Hulk 1)
p 3: "Days later" Banner interrogated (Jones is in detention)
p 4: the bomb explodes (= 4:3-5 of Hulk 1)
p 5: Banner interrogated by Special Agent Derek Halperin
p 6-7: Lt Betty Ross, commander of Gamma base, discusses the giant green-ape property damage with Banner and flirts with him (at the soonest after Hulk #1 13:5)
p 8-11 "Day 12 since exposure" Banner goes into self-quarantine in his secret bunker (the bunker first appears in Hulk #2 5-6 when Banner shows it to Rick)
p 12 Gamma base detects motion and goes hulk-hunting
p 13-14 Nurse and the child Adam flee. Adam enters the bunker.
p 15-18 The AIM pursuers have killed Nurse when Hulk lands with Adam in tow. The AIM troops get smashed.
p 19-20 The army shoots a hulkified chimp from the test
p 21-26 Adam leads Hulk to the secret base of "Them" (early name for AIM) but Hulk asks them for help
p 27-28 General Ross arrives at the base and meets his daughter
p 29-30 Banner wakes up in his bunker. In exchange for help Them asked Hulk to take care of a Russian mobster. Hiding from Banner, Adam notices the transformation.
p 31 Jones is released from prison and picked up by Halperin
p 32-34 Ross brought Dr Monica Rappaccini, a former Banner acquaintance, to make supersoldiers with gamma rays.
p 34-36 Jones in El Paso meets his gang, the Brigade and their leader the Gargoyle who beats him for his escapade.
p 37-45 The Hulk lands and attacks but Gargoyle sicks robots spouting communist propaganda on him. Hulk wins. Explosion.
p 46-47 Derek Halperin flirts with Betty Ross
p 48-49 Hulk lands with Rick and leaves him
p 50 Banner wakes up in his bunker with memories of Adam
p 51 Banner at gamma base sees Derek flirting with Betty
p 52-53 arrives in Monica's lab where she kisses him
p 54-62 Derek has followed Banner to his cave. Hulk wakes up trapped. In the morning Derek wakes seeing Them agents dropping in front of the the cave entrance. They kidnap Banner but Derek helps him escape. They meet soldiers and Betty who find drugs in Derek's car.
p 63-64 Derek in under arrest pending court-martial, Ross tells him. Banner covers his reason for bring in the cave.
p 65 Banner driven to his house, Rick Jones is there, says he wants to help him
p 66 Monica on the phone with DARPA, learns they prefer to fund Ted Sallis, Betty overhears
p 67-69 Hulk breaks in Them's base who provide him with a serum to suppress Banner's higher functions. They show him their seedlings (drug factories and drug mules in one), including Adam
p 69-70 Rick Jones finds an army of seedlings sent by the Hulk, the base is devastated
p 71 Rappaccini has Halperin sign release papers
p 72-74 Hulk and Banner have a talk in their head
p 75-76 While Rappaccini subjects Halperin to experiments, Betty Ross comes in
p 77-78 The mental debate continues between Hulk and Banner
p 79 Explosion in Rappaccini's lab
p 80-82 Banner wins the fight and stabs Hulk with the syringe. Hulk physically escapes the container
p 82-85 Ross fights the Halperin gamma monstrosity (somewhat like the monster in Incredible Hulk #151) who has seized his daughter
p 86 Rick Jones has led the seedlings in the Cochise reservation
p 87-96 Halperin heads toward the stockpile but is met by the Hulk. Betty flees. The fight ends with a nuclear explosion.
p 97 Banner confides to Rick he has suppressed the Hulk but can be overcome by emotion
p 98 Ross gets funding to chase gamma-irradiated entities
p 99-100 Day 102 since exposure. Banner doesn't want to get emotionally close to Betty nor be caught by the military.

Characters:
Bruce Banner/Hulk
Betty Ross
General Ross
Rick Jones
Gargoyle
Derek Halperin (first appearance, dies)
Monica RAPPACCINI
Them [=A.I.M.]

Adam (first appearance)
Seedlings (first appearance)
Last edited by Leoparis on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Simons
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Hulk Season One

Post by John Simons »

I'm pretty sure even Fred Van Lente would say not to add this to the MCP.
Van Lente: I think the idea was at some point they were going to serialize them digitally, I think they changed their minds about that.
Also originally they were supposed to be in-between continuity, and then at some point, thank goodness, we were just allowed to go crazy, and so continuity just got thrown out of the window — which I was thrilled with.

Nrama: So there are some pretty big breaks from established Hulk history in the book?

Van Lente: Yes. There are some pretty obvious changes.
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/hulk-se ... lente.html
"Jessica, whatever you do...don't contradict the continuity! They'll eat you alive! They'll. Eat. You. Alive!"
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Sure, but this is more for the chronology of secondary characters like Monica Rappaccini or any new character that will turn up in the continuity.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Leoparis wrote:Sure, but this is more for the chronology of secondary characters like Monica Rappaccini or any new character that will turn up in the continuity.
Well...but...if it's not canon, then it's not "for the chronology of secondary characters."
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Except Marvel writers and editors don't think like that:
JM DeMatteis used a character in the regular DD series that came from Man Without Fear (even though that's supposed to be out of continuity per you guys)
Brubaker re-used a character from Adventures of Captain America in Super-Soldier - same thing

Van Lente retroactively used his character Monica Rappaccini in Hulk Season One

And Cullen Bunn has just started using Katy Kiernan (which he introduced in Spider-Man Season One) in his Venom run.

So there's always the possibility that writers will take these Season One to be canon, especially if, as the promotional copy claims, it's the new official origin. And you will end up admitting that "even though it is not canon because of irreconciliable differences, similar events took place in the regular continuity" and plot details from the non-canon issue will be part of the character's history and background.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Leoparis wrote:Except Marvel writers and editors don't think like that:
JM DeMatteis used a character in the regular DD series that came from Man Without Fear (even though that's supposed to be out of continuity per you guys)
Do you disagree? Are you contending that Man Without Fear is in continuity?
Brubaker re-used a character from Adventures of Captain America in Super-Soldier - same thing
I fail to see how they're the "same thing" as Monica Rappaccini, and I think you know it. Rappaccini is an existing character, not one that was created for a non-canon story and later used in a canon story.

If the story isn't canon, there's no where to place it in her chronology. You admit earlier in this thread that the creators are intentionally throwing continuity out the window, yet you want to place it in her chronology. I'm merely pointing out the inherent futility of your efforts.

So there's always the possibility that writers will take these Season One to be canon, especially if, as the promotional copy claims, it's the new official origin.
Kind of like, Spider-Man: Chapter One, right?

And you will end up admitting that "even though it is not canon because of irreconciliable differences, similar events took place in the regular continuity" and plot details from the non-canon issue will be part of the character's history and background.
I could take issue with your use of the word "admitting" and I could dispute exactly what we'd "admit" to, but in any case, what's your point? Man Without Fear still isn't canon, and you won't find any references to it in the chronologies. So if your analogy and prognostications hold true, the same could be said about Hulk Season One.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe