Astronauts Buzz and Neil

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

lkseitz
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Astronauts Buzz and Neil

Post by lkseitz »

I picked up Essential Super-Villain Team-Up amazingly cheap this weekend and have started reading it. Right off the bat, there's a really cool sequence involving Doctor Doom and the first moon landing. It features two astronauts, addressing each other as Buzz and Neil, finding an odd, spherical device on the moon. They take it back to Earth. Once it's determined to be safe, it's taken to the President. (We only see him in shadow and he's not explicitly named, but it looks like Nixon to me. And since this appearance is already listed in the MCP, I guess it did to Russ or someone else, too.) It turns out to be a video playback device Doom teleported to the moon in advance of the astronauts arrival, just to prove his superiority.

That leads me to these MCP additions. New entries marked by asterisks (*).

*ALDRIN, BUZZ
*AT 1/2

ARMSTRONG, NEIL
FF 98
*AT 1/2
Lee K. Seitz
Slowly adding insignificant characters to the MCP
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Astronauts Buzz and Neil

Post by wolframbane »

Here is some additional research regarding astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. Note that there was a third astronaut as part of the Apollo 11 mission, Lt. Michael Collins, who remained aboard the spacecraft while Aldrin and Armstrong took the Eagle module to the moon's surface. He has not appeared in Marvel Comics, but was mentioned in M/:LG 6 and thus would be considered BTS. Michael Collins should not be confused with Deathlok (Michael Collins).

Also note that the appearances in FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER #12 (1974), WOLVERINE v2 #68 (1993), MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION #6 (2000) and CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: GHOSTS OF MY COUNTRY (2009) all occur in realtime, while FANTASTIC FOUR #98 (1970) and ASTONISHING TALES #1 (1970) are topical.

Also note that according to the MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION series, the Yankee Clipper had Mr. Victory place a secret message onboard the Eagle module before it launched into space on behalf of the time traveling Cassandra Locke, which in the late 22nd century of Earth-700 was used to halt the Skrulls. The machinations of both the Kree and Doctor Doom occurred behind the scenes in the original telling of the Apollo 11 mission, but are now probably retconned to a later Modern Era lunar mission. But now the Skrulls and the First Line were definitively active during the Apollo 11 mission.

I use a tilde symbol ("~") to indicate a repeated scene. Unless a repeated scene depicts a new detail, it is normally not listed. However, if the original scene was a topical appearance, and the repeated scene was a realtime appearance, then I included it as this could be considered a new detail.

FANTASTIC FOUR #98 (10:5)
Apollo 11 (carrying Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins) launches from Cape Kennedy.

~ FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER #12 (8:4:1)
Apollo 11 launches from Cape Kennedy.

~ MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION #6 (1-2&3:2)
Apollo 11 launches from Cape Kennedy, with additional commentary by Walter Cronkite.

MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION #6 (2&3:3-2&3:4)
Apollo 11 releases its first stage on its voyage into space, and later the command module Columbia flies the Eagle lunar module to the moon.

FANTASTIC FOUR #98 (17)
The Eagle lunar module (carrying Armstrong and Aldrin) descends towards the lunar surface. A Kree weapon beneath it prepares to launch. A voice states "Landing probe Down! 200 feet! 100 feet--!" There is no indication of who said this, but transcripts of the lunar landing indicate Aldrin was tracking the rate of descent.
http://www.haaretz.com/misc/article-pri ... h=2.169%2C

FANTASTIC FOUR #98 (20:5)
The Eagle lunar module (carrying Armstrong and Aldrin) prepares to land.

MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION #6 (11:4-12:4)
The Eagle approaches and lands upon the lunar surface. Unbeknownst to them, they are observed by both Skrulls and the First Line. Aldrin states "A-C-A at a descent. Mode control both auto. Descent engine command override off engine arm off 413... is in." Armstrong states "Houston, Tranquility Base here... The Eagle has landed." The dialogue is based upon actual transcripts.
http://apollo11.spacelog.org/page/04:06:45:04/

MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION #6 (14:4)
Armstrong prepares to climb out of the Eagle. He states "Okay, Houston. I'm on the porch..."

FANTASTIC FOUR #98 (20:6-20:7)
Armstrong climbs down the ladder and steps on the lunar surface, leaving a footprint. The panels in FF 98 (20:6-20:7) and M/:LG 6 (14:5-14:6) are identical, with the first panel depicting him climbing down the ladder and the second panel depicting him leaving a footprint. FF 98 (20:6-20:7) depicts him stating "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind," but M/:LG 6 (14:5-14:6) expands upon this, depicting him stating "...the surface appears to be very, very fine grained, as you get close to it -- It's almost like powder," and then in M/:LG 6 (14:7) he states "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." The statement from FF 98 (20:6-20:7) is probably a voiceover for M/:LG 6 (14:5-14:6). The dialogue is based upon actual transcripts.
http://apollo11.spacelog.org/page/04:13:20:58/

~ MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION #6 (14:5-14:6)
Armstrong climbs down the ladder and steps on the lunar surface, leaving a footprint. He states "...the surface appears to be very, very fine grained, as you get close to it -- It's almost like powder."

FANTASTIC FOUR #98 (20:6-20:7) [voice over]
Armstrong declares "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

~ MARVEL: THE LOST GENERATION #6 (14:7)
Armstrong declares "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER #12 (8:4:2)
Armstrong holds the American flag planted in the lunar surface. According to archival footage Armstrong and Aldrin both planted the flag, but then Aldrin stepped away and Armstrong remained holding the flag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunPi3ifqpw
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ed-82.html

CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: GHOSTS OF MY COUNTRY (33:3)
A close-up of Aldrin's helmet as he looks at Armstrong holding the flag. An image of Captain America, representing the American Spirit, is reflected upon Aldrin's faceplate and replaces the image of Armstrong.

WOLVERINE v2 #68 (10:4:2)-FB
A photograph is taken of Armstrong standing with the Eagle behind him. Ironically the image is based upon a historical photo of Armstrong, but the Eagle is not behind him in it.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/714 ... e=620x400s

ASTONISHING TALES #1 (2:1)
While on a moonwalk, Aldrin finds a mysterious sphere in a crater. He and Armstrong discuss that this may be proof of alien life. The sphere was actually teleported there by Doctor Doom.

ASTONISHING TALES #1 (2:2)
The Eagle returns to space to reattach with the Apollo 11 spacecraft.

ARMSTRONG, NEIL ALDEN
FF 98 (10:5)-BTS ~ FMON 12 (8:4:1)-BTS ~ M/:LG 6 (1 - 2&3:2)-BTS
M/:LG 6 (2&3:3 - 2&3:4)-BTS
FF 98 (17)-BTS
FF 98 (20:5)-BTS
M/:LG 6 (11:4 - 12:4)-VO
M/:LG 6 (14:4)-VO
{FF 98 (20:6 - 20:7)} ~ M/:LG 6 (14:5 - 14:6)
FF 98 (20:6 - 20:7)-VO ~ M/:LG 6 (14:7)
FMON 12 (8:4:2)
CATOW:GOMC (33:3)-OP
W2 68 (10:4:2)-FB
AT 1 (2:1)
AT 1 (2:2)-BTS

ALDRIN, COLONEL EDWIN EUGENE "BUZZ" JR.
FF 98 (17)-VO
FF 98 (20:5)-BTS
M/:LG 6 (11:4 - 12:4)-VO
M/:LG 6 (14:4)-BTS
FF 98 (20:6 - 20:7) ~ M/:LG 6 (14:5 - 14:6)
FF 98 (20:6 - 20:7)-VO-BTS ~ M/:LG 6 (14:7)-BTS
FMON 12 (8:4:2)-BTS
CATOW:GOMC (33:3)
W2 68 (10:4:2)-FB-BTS
{AT 1 (2:1)}
AT 1 (2:2)-BTS

COLLINS, LIEUTENANT MICHAEL
lkseitz
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Astronauts Buzz and Neil

Post by lkseitz »

Wow. I find one additional appearance of someone already listed and look what happens! Thanks, wolframbane. I haven't read LOST GENERATION so was unaware the moon landing played into it, too. (And yes, I knew poor Michael "Not Deathlok" Collins was orbiting the moon while Aldrin & Armstrong landed. I just decided to stick with who appeared on the page.)
Lee K. Seitz
Slowly adding insignificant characters to the MCP