Avengers Academy v1 #24-FB

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Avengers Academy v1 #24-FB

Post by loki »

Captain Britain was also in an old costume, in his case one he had stopped wearing several years earlier, and one which no longer existed (it had been transformed into his new costume, so not even the "current costume is in the wash, had to wear my old one" excuse). It's a fight involving shapeshifters who can cast illusion spells if you want to try and explain the costume discrepancies, so there's an easy out, but I personally think it would be best to just accept that a lot of costumes are wrongly depicted and not worry about trying to use them for dating purposes.

And even with that proviso eliminating the costume issue for Storm, this isn't a genuine flashback, because, as stated above, neither Justin and Reptil witnessed the events in question and so can't be expected to have a memory flashback to it.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

The Captain Britain costume problem is a weird one- as this website points out, in CA 305-306, Steve references Brian wearing his old costume in ROM 65-66 and makes it clear that he's never seen Brian in his new costume:
http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronoco ... _306.shtml
But ROM 65 takes place around Avengers 254 and CA 306 takes place prior to Avengers 256. And Avengers 256 takes place relatively shortly after Avengers 254- Dane just realizes in Avengers 256 that Hank and Jan are divorced, the Vision and the Scarlet Witch stil haven't contacted the rest of the team after going to explain to the government why Vision took over the world in Avengers 254, etc. There's no way that several years worth of Captain Britain stories can be squeezed into such a short timeframe.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

I think we have little choice but to put Captain Britain's costume down to an art error, and assume that he was in his new costume in Rom. Presumably Captain America simply didn't see him in the new costume, during what was, after all, a massive melee featuring hundreds of heroes. This also means we have to ignore the footnote in Cap 305 that says they last "met" in Rom; they were last in the same vicinity then, but I don't think there was an actual scene where they were shown together (I'll have to dig the issues out to recheck to be certain of that though).
lkseitz
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by lkseitz »

loki wrote:This also means we have to ignore the footnote in Cap 305 that says they last "met" in Rom; they were last in the same vicinity then, but I don't think there was an actual scene where they were shown together (I'll have to dig the issues out to recheck to be certain of that though).
Captain Britain and the rest of the international heroes appear in a single panel in ROM 65. (Well, one panel for Captain Britain & co. and one for the Soviet Super Soldiers). After that, the only identifiable heroes are members of the Avengers (both teams), X-Men, or Defenders.
Lee K. Seitz
Slowly adding insignificant characters to the MCP
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

lkseitz wrote:
loki wrote:This also means we have to ignore the footnote in Cap 305 that says they last "met" in Rom; they were last in the same vicinity then, but I don't think there was an actual scene where they were shown together (I'll have to dig the issues out to recheck to be certain of that though).
Captain Britain and the rest of the international heroes appear in a single panel in ROM 65. (Well, one panel for Captain Britain & co. and one for the Soviet Super Soldiers). After that, the only identifiable heroes are members of the Avengers (both teams), X-Men, or Defenders.
Thanks. I wasn't certain that CB wasn't also a face in the crowd in the aftermath scenes, though I didn't think he was.