Mr. Sinister in M/GN 17-FB

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. Sinister in M/GN 17-FB

Post by Col_Fury »

We have Mr. Sinister listed here at the MCP as appearing in M/GN 17-FB. What's Mr. Sinister doing in M/GN 17-FB? I assume it has something to do with giving the Living Monolith his powers, but is Mr. Sinister in shadows or something? Or was a character appearing in M/GN 17-FB later retconned to be Mr. Sinister?

The reason I ask is because M/GN 17 was published two full years before Mr. Sinister's first appearance in Uncanny #221, and over a year before his first "in shadows" appearance in Uncanny #213.
-Daron Jensen
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Mr. Sinister in M/GN 17-FB

Post by Michael »

During the Twelve Crossover, it was revealed that the Living Monolith was not a mutant-he was a "non-mutant variant". Apocalypse had Sinister graft Havok's DNA onto him and introduced him to his cult. Additionally, it's implied that the guy from the cult that appears to the Monolith after his wife was killed was either Apocalypse or Sinister. (I still think it's supposed to be Apocalypse.)
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Thanks!

Well, the Uncanny X-Men Index says in #376 that "Apocalypse finds a despondent Ahmet Abdol (MGN #17, '85)." And then a new flashback shows Mr. Sinister grafting Abdol's DNA with Havok's. So there's that.

I'm thinking we should at least delete M/GN 17-FB from Mr. Sinister's chronology, and we should add it to Apocalypse's. Of course, M/GN 17 was published eight months before Apocalypse's first appearance in X-Factor #5.

Is this guy (Apocalypse) in shadows in M/GN 17-FB? Or is he disguised (which wouldn't be a problem for Apocalypse; he can control all of his molecules…)? X-Factor #5 would still be Apocalypse's first full appearance either way.
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:Well, the Uncanny X-Men Index says in #376 that "Apocalypse finds a despondent Ahmet Abdol (MGN #17, '85)." And then a new flashback shows Mr. Sinister grafting Abdol's DNA with Havok's. So there's that.

I'm thinking we should at least delete M/GN 17-FB from Mr. Sinister's chronology, and we should add it to Apocalypse's. Of course, M/GN 17 was published eight months before Apocalypse's first appearance in X-Factor #5.

Is this guy (Apocalypse) in shadows in M/GN 17-FB? Or is he disguised (which wouldn't be a problem for Apocalypse; he can control all of his molecules…)? X-Factor #5 would still be Apocalypse's first full appearance either way.
If it's Apocalypse who appeared to "a despondent Ahmet Abdol", he's most definitely shapeshifted. But this is AFTER Abdol's already let off his first power blast (which is why he thinks he's mad)!
Attachments
ApocalypseMGN17.jpg
ApocalypseMGN17.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Somebody wrote:If it's Apocalypse who appeared to "a despondent Ahmet Abdol", he's most definitely shapeshifted. But this is AFTER Abdol's already let off his first power blast (which is why he thinks he's mad)!
Yes, according to Uncanny 376, Apocalypse approached the Monolith disguised as the Egyptian dude. Supposedly, Abdol was NOT a mutant but had somehow developed his power blast abilities (how is never explained) and Apocalypse had Sinister graft Alex's DNA onto Abdol, giving Abdol his power blast abilities.
That explanation did not go over very well.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Thanks, folks!
-Daron Jensen
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Michael wrote:
Somebody wrote:If it's Apocalypse who appeared to "a despondent Ahmet Abdol", he's most definitely shapeshifted. But this is AFTER Abdol's already let off his first power blast (which is why he thinks he's mad)!
Yes, according to Uncanny 376, Apocalypse approached the Monolith disguised as the Egyptian dude. Supposedly, Abdol was NOT a mutant but had somehow developed his power blast abilities (how is never explained) and Apocalypse had Sinister graft Alex's DNA onto Abdol, giving Abdol his power blast abilities.
That explanation did not go over very well.
I thought (but admit I haven't researched to confirm) that Adbol was a mutant, hence the power blast, but his powers were late developing and unstable, hence needing the DNA graft from the not-dissimilarly powered Alex Summers. Jeph or Mike O of the Handbook team may well be able to confirm or rebutt this.