Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Wolverine v4 #10-16 vs. Fear Itself

Post by Jason Doty »

Jeph!,

I get what both of you are saying.

If you are set in your placement and see no need to flesh out this period of time. I'll wait for the Index to see what you guys come up with.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I'm getting caught up on my reading and noticed something in Namor: The First Mutant #6.

In Namor #6, Namor goes to hell. An Atlantean magician notes that Wolverine just clawed his way out of hell, and this weakened the walls between worlds, which led to Namor going to hell. There's even a panel with art reproduced from the Wolverine issue showing Wolverine clawing his way out of hell.

Dr. Nemesis, Emma Frost and Loa all appear in this issue (and in the flashback that takes place "4 hours" before the issue starts), which basically happens concurrently with Wolverine #5. (Namor #6 and Wolverine #5 were published the same month, March 2011)

Also, a brain damaged Dr. Doom appears in Namor #6-8. Doom has to appear here before FF #588 and F.F. #1-2 (where Doom's brain damage is fixed). Fear Itself happens between F.F. #2-3. That means Wolverine #1-5 (at least) have to happen before Fear Itself. I think we already knew that, though.

Loa and Dr. Nemesis also appear in Namor #7, and Loa and Cyclops appear in Namor #8.

Namor #6-8 all take a few hours to happen.

How does all of this line up with Wolverine #5-6?
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Wait, why does Namor go to hell? Does he die?

Wolverine #6-8 occur immediately after #5, and Namor's in them (as are Dr. Nemesis and Cyclops). He's badly injured by "Hellverine" in W4 #7 and disappears from the storyline after that. Maybe an opportune time for him to go to hell?

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

He's sucked into hell through a magic amulet. There's old, dead Atlantean kings (and a queen) inside the amulet that call the place hell. Doom travels inside the amulet and cites his previous experience in travelling to hell. If it's ACTUALLY hell, I dunno.

The story starts (or rather, the flashback shows this, but you get the point) with Namor attending a parade in New Atlantis, celebrating the completed construction of New Atlantis. Meanwhile, in New Atlantis, Dr. Nemesis, Emma Frost and some Atlanteans are examining Loa to see how Namor's magic amulet is letting Loa breath underwater. Wolverine claws his way out of hell, which "weakens the walls between worlds," and Namor's sucked into the amulet. By the time Namor gets back (in #8), everyone's still in New Atlantis.

So no, that doesn't work. Sorry. :(
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Boy, there's just no room for what you just described to occur in the Wolverine arc. In W4 #3-4, "Hellverine" attacks Utopia. Mystique and Ghost Rider burst in, grab him and drag him off to a church to have the demons exorcised. Cyclops scrambles a posse -- INCLUDING NAMOR -- and they follow.

In W4 #5, Wolverine claws his way out of hell. His soul reunites with his body, but the demons are still in there. Tormented, Wolverine flees the church and runs smack dab into Cyclops, Magneto, Namor and Emma Frost. They (and several other X-Men, who arrive later) spend all of W4 #6-8 beating the hell out of his body while telepathically helping him fight the demons.

Namor is defeated and left floating in San Francisco Bay in W4 #7. He's not seen for the rest of the arc. At the end of #8, the X-Men are back on Utopia (no sign of Namor specifically). Wolverine excuses himself to go track down and kill Mystique. Which he does in #9.

How about -- Namor #6-8 occur right after this arc, and we just downplay the immediacy of the effect that Wolverine's "clawing out of hell" has on the amulet?

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Yeah, that should work. Like Wolverine did damage to the "walls between worlds," and the walls just haven't healed up yet. The amulet only sucked Namor in after they started poking at it, after all.

Yay!
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

More fun stuff from Namor:

Namor #1-4: Curse of the Mutants
Namor #5: almost entirely flashbacks, present day portion takes maybe two minutes to happen
Namor #6-8: "two days" after Curse of the Mutants, "concurrent" with Wolverine Goes to Hell, story takes 12 hours to happen
Namor #9-11: "weeks" after Curse of the Mutants, story takes two days to happen

Utlimately, I think we're going to have to ignore that "two days" reference, but how does Curse of the Mutants line up with Wolverine Goes to Hell? According to Namor #7, it's two days later. Of course, Namor #6-8 can't happen concurrently with Wolverine #5, so there's that.

Also, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Angel, Pixie, Colossus, Dr. Kavita Rao and Wolverine appear in Namor #11.
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Does the Wolverine and Jubilee mini-series fit into this timeframe too? I noted that it must occur after Namor the First Mutant #5 and probably before Wolverine v4, but I don't recall why. :?
Paul B.
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Frans »

I've got it down right after Curse of the Mutants, because it entails Jubilee dealing with her being a vampire. Next to Wolverine, Emma Frost, Cyclops, Kavita Rao, Armor, Rockslide and Pixie do appear. As far as I can remember no actual references to other events or characters.

At the start of #1 Jubilee is imprisoned in the medical lab receiving blood transfusions from Wolverine's blood. From the discussions between Cyclops, Emma Frost, Cyclops and Dr Kavita Rao it's still early days after CotM where Jubilee became a vampire. Also the scene in the danger room with the younger X-men implies that Jubilee is still adjusting to the fact of being a vampire. Issues #1 through #4 seems to be one continuous story.