Valkyrie in M/CP 37/3

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Valkyrie in M/CP 37/3

Post by metaldragon »

I'm curious why Valkyrie's appearance in M/CP 37/3 was placed between DEF 152 & DRSTR2 80. Does her sword Dragonfang appear in DRSTR2 80? (I'm missing that issue.) Because in DRSTR3 3 she says "With Dragonfang at my side, the long fight of years is done!*" and the footnote says: "*See upcoming issue for the Devil-Slayer story in Marvel Comic Presents." The story that's referring to is: M/CP 37/3.

She is shown with a sword in her appearances in ST2 5-7 but it doesn't have Dragonfang's distinctive dragon head pommel. Considering Andromeda is shown with her trident & armour and Manslaughter with his daggers (and clothes), the sword Valkyrie is using in her Strange Tales appearances may just be a "spirit" weapon she manifested (along with a different armour/costume from what she wore in DEF 152) and she doesn't actually get Dragonfang back until Devil Slayer sends it on to her with his spirit cloak in M/CP 37/3, shortly before the battle where she mentions it DRSTR3 3.

Valkyrie's chronology:

DEF 152
M/CP 37/3 [move from here]
DRSTR2 80
ST2 5/2
ST2 6/2
ST2 7
ST2 7/2
[to here]
DRSTR3 3
DRSTR3 4
"May the Light shine forever!"
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Valkyrie in M/CP 37/3

Post by DonCampbell »

metaldragon wrote:I'm curious why Valkyrie's appearance in M/CP 37/3 was placed between DEF 152 & DRSTR2 80. Does her sword Dragonfang appear in DRSTR2 80? (I'm missing that issue.) Because in DRSTR3 3 she says "With Dragonfang at my side, the long fight of years is done!*" and the footnote says: "*See upcoming issue for the Devil-Slayer story in Marvel Comic Presents." The story that's referring to is: M/CP 37/3.
Valkyrie appears briefly in DRSTR2 80 when Stephen Strange has a near-death experience while on the operating table. In the one image in which it is shown, her sword does not appear to have Dragonfang's distinctive pommel. I would agree with you that the M/CP story in which she gets Dragonfang back would be better placed after all of her ST2 appearances and immediately before DRSTR3 3.

Don Campbell