NM 21

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Paul Bourcier, Kevin W., Col_Fury, Arthur, JephYork, Somebody

Locked
Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

NM 21

Post by Frans » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:48 am

Can only find a flashback in New Mutants 21 that suffices the two placings of NM 21 in Warlock's chronology. Therefore no page numbering necessary. The flashback is the moment that Warlock escapes his home planet, just before he has to fight his father (Magus). Magus follows him. His flight and chasing by his father are seen in scenes depicted in NM 18 and 19. Some changes have to be made to chronologies of Warlock and Magus. Also the chronological first appearance of Warlock is not NM 18, but NM 21-FB. The same goes for his father Magus. Shouldn't Magus' name be changed to MAGUS II [TECHNARCH], same as with Warlock? Also the NM 19-BTS of Warlock is not really BTS. The Starjammers see Warlock and his father Magus on their screens, but they don't recognise what they are (Technarchs).

WARLOCK III [TECHNARCH]
*NM 21-FB new chronological first appearance
NM 18
*NM 19 deleted -BTS
M/TU@ 7
NM 21
...

MAGUS II [TECHNARCH] name change?
*NM 21-FB added appearance + new chronological first appearance
NM 18
NM 19
M/TU@ 7
UX 192
...

User avatar
Somebody
Director
Director
Posts: 3035
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: NM 21

Post by Somebody » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:17 am

*looks at Warlock's current chronology, where NM 21 is split by M/TU@ 7*

Did you *check* Marvel Team-Up Annual #7? The annual may well be placed during New Mutants #21 for a reason.

Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: NM 21

Post by Frans » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:38 am

Yes, you're right, I presume. Problem is that Marvel Team-Up Annual 7 is somewhere at the bottom of my boxes. I have it somewhere, but not able to find it. If you have the specific Annual can you have a look?

The flashback of Warlock and Magus wasn't in there at all. So for now it would look like this, and the page numbering still has to follow... :oops:

WARLOCK III [TECHNARCH]
*NM 21-FB new chronological first appearance
NM 18
*NM 19 deleted -BTS
NM 21
M/TU@ 7
NM 21
...

MAGUS II [TECHNARCH] name change?
*NM 21-FB added appearance + new chronological first appearance
NM 18
NM 19
M/TU@ 7
UX 192
...

Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: Springfield, MO
Contact:

Re: NM 21

Post by Chris McCarver » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:29 am

Warlock appeared in a one-panel cameo in M/TU@ 7, as seen here: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronoco ... Aliens.JPG

The cameo's a bit self-contradictory, since it seems to stat the art from Warlock's first appearance in NM 18 (http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronoco ... arlock.JPG), which shows Warlock landing on a lifeless planet prior to his arrival on Earth in NM 21, but the Collector's dialogue notes him freaking out over a "Warlock" being on Earth, placing it at the very least during or after NM 21.
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com

User avatar
Somebody
Director
Director
Posts: 3035
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: NM 21

Post by Somebody » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am

Chris McCarver wrote:The cameo's a bit self-contradictory, since it seems to stat the art from Warlock's first appearance in NM 18 (http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronoco ... arlock.JPG), which shows Warlock landing on a lifeless planet prior to his arrival on Earth in NM 21, but the Collector's dialogue notes him freaking out over a "Warlock" being on Earth, placing it at the very least during or after NM 21.
Interesting. I wouldn't read too closely into details like copying art from a wrong issue - especially since other details are wrong, like using "warlock" as the species name! - when his being on Earth is the important part.

Still begs the question of where exactly it *is* placed, though. If during NM 21, between which pages/panels? If after, again, when?

Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: NM 21

Post by Frans » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:55 am

The referred website and the MCP have Magus also appearing in M/TU@7. Where does he appear then? He's not in the panel as shown. Do both appear somewhere else in the comic as well?

It's indeed a vague appearance of Warlock. Not sure where it should fit in. The pic is definitely from NM 18.

It can easily be placed after NM 21 I think. If this panel is the only app of Warlock I don't see any reason why it should be placed during NM 21...

Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: Springfield, MO
Contact:

Re: NM 21

Post by Chris McCarver » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Is it possible the Collector was notified of Warlock's arrival the instant it occurred? If so, all we'd need to do is place M/TU@ 7 between the half of NM 21 leading up to and including his arrival (1 - 13) and the half that follows (14 - 35).
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com

metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:03 pm
Contact:

Re: NM 21

Post by metaldragon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Somebody wrote:
Chris McCarver wrote:The cameo's a bit self-contradictory, since it seems to stat the art from Warlock's first appearance in NM 18 (http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronoco ... arlock.JPG), which shows Warlock landing on a lifeless planet prior to his arrival on Earth in NM 21, but the Collector's dialogue notes him freaking out over a "Warlock" being on Earth, placing it at the very least during or after NM 21.
Interesting. I wouldn't read too closely into details like copying art from a wrong issue - especially since other details are wrong, like using "warlock" as the species name! - when his being on Earth is the important part.

Still begs the question of where exactly it *is* placed, though. If during NM 21, between which pages/panels? If after, again, when?
Actually, I believe "Magus" and "Warlock" mean "parent" and "offspring" in the Technarch language. The Collector may just be freaking out that a Warlock (Technarch child) is on Earth.
"May the Light shine forever!"

Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: NM 21

Post by Frans » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Chris McCarver wrote:Is it possible the Collector was notified of Warlock's arrival the instant it occurred? If so, all we'd need to do is place M/TU@ 7 between the half of NM 21 leading up to and including his arrival (1 - 13) and the half that follows (14 - 35).
This would be a quick fix, but not necessarily the right thing. There are no indications that the Collector was notified of Warlock's arrival. He's just searching the Earth for alien life forms. If this is the only appearance of Warlock in this comic, I would say it's better to place the M/TU@ 7 right after NM 21, and not between pages.

Although I'm still not assured if this is the app we are looking for. As well the MCP as Supermegamonkey have Magus appearing in this comic as well? Since M/TU @7 is not accessible right now for me, it's best if someone flips through the comic in question...

DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:47 am
Location: island of Montreal, Quebec

Re: NM 21

Post by DonCampbell » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:38 am

Frans wrote:Although I'm still not assured if this is the app we are looking for. As well the MCP as Supermegamonkey have Magus appearing in this comic as well? Since M/TU @7 is not accessible right now for me, it's best if someone flips through the comic in question...
As requested, I have read through my copy of M/TU @7 and found no trace of Magus.

Don Campbell

Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: NM 21

Post by Frans » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:01 am

Yes thanks Don :D much appreciated.

Since there is no trace of Magus and the only panel Warlock's appearing is the one that's possibly taken from NM 18, I see no valid reason to split NM 21 up to include M/TU @7. Not sure if it is worth to contact the chronologist/summarist who put this in the MCP at the time? If not, the order is as follows:

WARLOCK III [TECHNARCH]
*NM 21-FB add chronological first appearance
NM 18
*NM 19-BTS delete BTS
NM 21
M/TU@ 7
*NM 21 delete
NM@ 1
...

MAGUS II [TECHNARCH] name change?
*NM 21-FB add chronological first appearance
NM 18
NM 19
*M/TU@ 7 delete
UX 192
...

Locked