X-Men First Class placement

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

X-Men First Class placement

Post by wolframbane »

Way back we had a thread that placed where all the issues of the numerous XFC titles appeared. Since then it has been declared non-canon, but I was wondering if anyone happened to still have the list in which the order was conjecturally determined?
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: X-Men First Class placement

Post by Jason Doty »

Wolframbane, type in "X-Men: First Class" in the search in the right hand corner. Then go to page 15 and work your way back. The placements are under various topics, but you can piece them together fairly easily.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

wolframbane wrote:Way back we had a thread that placed where all the issues of the numerous XFC titles appeared. Since then it has been declared non-canon
Where and when did this declaration of total "non-canonicity" (is that a word?) occur? The last I heard, some issues of X-Men: First Class HAD TO BE considered canon because they had been referenced in other comics that were definitely "in continuity" and those references dragged those specific XFC issues into being canon. Other XFC issues were more ambiguous and I believe that some events depicted in them were considered to have happened but not quite as shown on-panel.

To be clear, I am not questioning the declaration that all XFC issues are not canon, I'm just wondering who made that decision and what were the reasons behind it.

Don Campbell
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I think that between the Blackbird (instead of their original or STOL planes), the "big round room"/talking, intelligent interface Cerebro, and the fact that a good chunk of the stories have to take place in the early pages of UX 14 (between Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch leaving the Brotherhood/before they joined the Avengers) when originally only 2 days passed are what pushed the series out of canon.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

DonCampbell wrote:To be clear, I am not questioning the declaration that all XFC issues are not canon, I'm just wondering who made that decision and what were the reasons behind it.
I believe it was An Editorial Decision rather than an MCP one - somewhere during v2, the hammer came down from above and the Handbook was told to omit reference from future profiles (after it had already been referenced in some), which filtered through to us. The exception you mention is X:FC 8, which Jeff Parker referenced at length in X-Men/Agents of Atlas to a point that it was nigh-impossible to ignore. (Although Gorilla Man's apparently not currently listed for that issue!)

There were a few things that needed massaging - no worse, really, than lots of other series these days - but the only really serious thing was one backup during Angel's v2 absence that seemed to order previous stories linearly, where they needed to occur out-of-order for chronology reasons.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Somebody wrote:
DonCampbell wrote:To be clear, I am not questioning the declaration that all XFC issues are not canon, I'm just wondering who made that decision and what were the reasons behind it.
I believe it was An Editorial Decision rather than an MCP one - somewhere during v2, the hammer came down from above and the Handbook was told to omit reference from future profiles (after it had already been referenced in some), which filtered through to us.
That's correct. The handbooks were originally given the impression that First Class was considered 616 canon, to the extent of being asked to read the occasional script and spot any major continuity concerns for being set in whatever period, so the writers could tweak things if they wanted to eliminate the problem while not having to make major story changes. However, later the mandate came down that we were not to include any FC references in the handbooks - they weren't so much definitely ruled non-canon, as put in a vague limbo whereby they might or might not be, and any stories referenced in a non-FC story would only confirm that single story in canon, not all of FC.