Legendary Star-Lord #5

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Legendary Star-Lord #5

Post by DonCampbell »

(two weeks ago)
The Planet Kymellia III. Inside the Ghostmare Vaults.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Nux Vomico, a Snark member of the Slaughter Squad (dies)
Delphinia, a Centaurian member of the Slaughter Squad
Misa, a winged Shi’ar hunter who is a member of the Slaughter Squad
Czar Doon, a Badoon member of the Slaughter Squad
Father Diablo, the priest from Planet X who is a member of the Slaughter Squad
Raksor, a Skrull member of the Slaughter Squad
multiple Kymellian guards (including the Kymellian Steel Brigade, all killed)
The Black Vortex
Mister Knife, the boss of the Slaughter Squad
Bligh

(now)
The Planet Cor. Light-years from the armpit of the cosmos.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Star-Lord (Peter Quill)
Lucien, a Kymellian (but he’s actually Raksor the Skrull)
bartender
various patrons of the saloon
“Lucien” describes how the Slaughter Squad stole the Black Vortex from the Ghostmare Vaults on Kymellia III – FB
Kitty Pryde (via holo-communicator)
Drax the Destroyer (incognito for most of issue)

Notes: Two days earlier, Peter stood Kitty up on their holo-date, and not for the first time. They agree to go on a holo-date two days from now and that will take place during the next issue.

A Skrull named Raksor and a Badoon named Czar-Doon have appeared before but there’s nothing to definitely say that these are the same characters. By the way, is there any reason why the Badoon in this series look so unlike Badoon seen anywhere else?

The present-day story is set in an alien saloon in which "Lucien" is telling Star-Lord about something that happened two weeks ago. As "Lucien" tells his story, the scene shifts back and forth between present and past so that there are three past sequences interspersed among four present sequences. I'm not exactly sure how these events should be listed so any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by DonCampbell on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Legendary Star-Lord #5

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Ordinarily, if the four present sequences aren't themselves interrupted by anything, and the three past sequences appear in chronological order, the MCP chronology would simplify it as:
LSL 5-FB
LSL 5

If the past sequences aren't presented in chronological order, we'd have something like:
LSL 5 (17-18) - FB
LSL 5 (2:3-7:1) - FB
LSL 5 (9-11) - FB
LSL 5

If the four present sequences are interrupted by some of the past sequences, we'd have something like:
LSL 5 (17-18) - FB
LSL 5 (2:3-7:1) - FB
LSL 5 (1-2:2)
LSL 5 (9-11) - FB
LSL 5 (7:2-8)
LSL 5 (12-16)
LSL 5 (19-20)
...I think. Russ, is this right?
Paul B.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Not precisely.

That's the way we treat flashbacks. Present-day sequences don't follow all those rules. Present-day sequences AND flashbacks have page ranges if they're split by another appearance, or if they're told out of order. The third rule (once flashbacks are split due to either of the first two rules, we show ALL the page ranges for flashbacks in that book) doesn't apply to present-day. In your last example, the last three present-day sequences are not out of order, and are not split by other appearances, so the chronology would read:

LSL 5 (17 - 18)-FB
LS5 5 (2:3 -7:1)-FB
LSL 5 (1 - 2:2)
LSL 5 (9 - 11)-FB
LSL 5 (7:2 - 20)

It's readily apparent to the reader that there are flashbacks (9 - 11, and 17 - 18) within that stretch. The same would apply if we said:

LSL 5 (17 - 18)-FB
LSL 4
LSL 5 (9 - 11)-FB
LSL 5

The reader would know that not ALL of LSL 5 is present day, even though we've presented it that way.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Okay, just to clarify things, the story in this issue consists of Star-Lord listening to "Lucien" recount what happened two weeks ago but the FB is interrupted three times by Star-Lord. Here's the breakdown of present/past scenes:

Page 1 - Present
Pages 2-4 + 5 (panels 1-4) - Past
Page 5 (panel 5) - Present
Page 6 (panels 1-2) - Past
Page 6 (panels 2-6) + 7 - Present
Pages 8-10 + 11 (panels 1-2) - Past
Pages 11 (panel 3) + 12 (panels 1-3) - Present
Pages 12 (panels 4-6) + 13-16 - Past
Pages 17-20 - Present

The past elements all take place at the same time and in the order in which they are presented, and the same goes for the present-day scenes. So, in the case of "Lucien"/Raksor, the only character who appears in both the past and present scenes, his listing for this issue would just be like this:

LSL 5 - FB
LSL 5

My question was actually more about how the past sequences should be presented in the Character Watch board. Specifically, if the past sequences are told in order, does one just list them all in one segment at the beginning as I did? Or should one go back and forth between past and present scenes in the exact same order in which the story presents them?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I'm moving this into Issue Analysis, because...well, because it's an issue analysis, not a character watch.

Page ranges shouldn't get into character watches at all. There's really not even a need to differentiate between present day and flashback scenes. I think Jason does that frequently, but it's not necessary. The purpose of a post in the character watch is simply to bring character appearances to the attention of fans of those characters. Simple as that.

DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Russ Chappell wrote:Page ranges shouldn't get into character watches at all. There's really not even a need to differentiate between present day and flashback scenes. I think Jason does that frequently, but it's not necessary. The purpose of a post in the character watch is simply to bring character appearances to the attention of fans of those characters. Simple as that.
Really? I thought that the Character Watches served as a sort of VERY loose precursor to an Issue Analysis. Nothing too detailed, just "Characters Tom, Dick and Harriet were together at event Alpha, then characters Frank, Lola and Verna were at event Beta, etc." I guess I've been doing them incorrectly.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

You can list them any way you like, as long as they follow the rules of the forum. From the Rules post at the top of the Character Watch forum:
Please limit this forum to the discussion of "character appearances" in a particular issue.

Body: Who is that guy that's in page 5, panel 3? It looks like Ben Parker, but he's dead, right?

Reply:
I think it's supposed to be Justice's grandfather.

We realize that an attempt to identify a character can evolve into a chronological discussion ("That can't be Doctor Doom, because he's supposed to be trapped in Asgard. The appearance of an adult Katie Power requires that this story takes place after T 712, and Peter still has six arms, so it must take place before CA 819, and Doom is in Asgard that entire time. Must be someone else"), but when that happens, we'll bump the thread out, to the main forum.
And that's what we've done, here.