Shadowcat

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Shadowcat

Post by Somebody »

Something I was discussing with Fury earlier on - when was Kitty Pryde last called Shadowcat in earnest as her codename in a present-day comic? Neither of us could remember exactly, but it was definitely before 2004, the start of the Joss Whedon run on Astonishing X-Men. Was it as far back as 2000, with Claremont's abortive second X-Men/Uncanny X-Men run?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shadowcat

Post by Col_Fury »

I think it might have been. By the time Mekanix came out she was retired from super-heroing and not going by "Shadowcat," but of course she came back in Astonishing X-Men. I'd have to look through a pile of comics, but I don't recall anyone calling her Shadowcat since then (the recap pages might still call her Shadowcat, though).

Oddly, even when she was going by Shadowcat her series' weren't called that:

Kitty Pryde & Wolverine (1984 -1985) (becomes Shadowcat in this series)
Pryde & Wisdom (1997) (still with Excalibur & going by Shadowcat)
Kitty Pryde, Agent of Shield (1997 - 1998) (still with Excalibur & going by Shadowcat)
X-Men: Kitty Pryde - Shadow & Flame (2005) (after her return to the X-Men in Astonishing)

When Wolverine & the X-Men started, there was a chart of the school's staff in the back. Was she called Shadowcat there?
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:Oddly, even when she was going by Shadowcat her series' weren't called that:
Well, she changes her codename in the course of KP&W, "Pryde and Wisdom" is an obvious pun, "Kitty Pryde, Agent of SHIELD" is a play on "Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD" and similar names, and Shadow & Flame was after the codename was dropped.
Col_Fury wrote:When Wolverine & the X-Men started, there was a chart of the school's staff in the back. Was she called Shadowcat there?
Nope. She and "Rachel Grey" are the only two on the whole page, staff OR student, not to be IDed by codename.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

hmn.
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I had this discussion with Shadowcat fan Mike O'Sullivan when I was wrapping up the Wolverine Index. Here are his comments:
Okay -- started with Excalibur #125 and flipped through everything until the end of X-Treme X-Men. After X-Men #100 (when she left the team), she's regularly referred to by editorial as Shadowcat but in-story it's mostly Kitty. She's Shadowcat on the title page of XX #46.

After Astonishing X-Men #1, Shadowcat is really rare. In that issue, Emma Frost even mocks the name: "the nonthreatening Shadowcat." after that I'm really not finding it. but I'm only doing a cursory look. Seems like Astonishing #1 is the marking point where it really stopped being used. Only sporadically used by editorial here and there, but not really by Kitty herself.
Followed by:
Ugh. Not to complicate, but she's called Shadowcat in that X-Women one-shot.

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Ogun refers to Kitty as the Shadow Cat in Death of Wolverine #3