When did Angel Salvadore start using "Angel" as a codename?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

When did Angel Salvadore start using "Angel" as a codename?

Post by JephYork »

Here's a headscratcher: apparently, at some point fly-winged mutant Angel Salvadore started using her first name as her codename: she became "Angel."

I need to find the issue where she first started doing this. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: When did Angel Salvadore start using "Angel" as a codena

Post by JephYork »

I paged through the New X-Men Omnibus and didn't find anything, but I've got two thoughts: either in New X-Men #131, where she's part of Archangel's flight class, or New X-Men #135, where she's part of the Special Class. Before this, she wasn't really a *student* yet, she was a new arrival.

In #131, she makes a big deal about Archangel's codename: "Calling himself 'Angel'!", she scoffs. "His name is 'ARCHangel,' it's a totally different thing!", responds Beak. This could, sort of, be interpreted as "that's the codename *I'm* using now!"

Either way, I'd think her enrollment and participation (however grudging) in a Xavier Institute class is a good guess for where she would have transitioned into codename use.

Opinions?

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Well, remember the broader context - codename use wasn't required of the students until c. ACADX 2, after the Morrison run, and some - like the New Mutants kids other than Surge - never had self-professed codenames/nicknames before they were assigned them then. Certainly, it wasn't required for classes, so X 135 isn't relevant.

So...given that I'm not sure she WAS a student after she had her brood, I wouldn't be certain it was *ever* her codename rather than just her first name that people called her by, especially since she was contemptuous of others' codenames (your X 131 idea is a stretch worthy of Reed Richards!).
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Well, let's put it this way. The Handbooks (specifically, the hardcovers' Tempest and Xavier Institute entries) claim that "Angel" was at one point her actual codename. I am presuming that to be true, and now looking for in-book evidence to support it.

As you say, codenames weren't mandatory until New X-Men (2004) #2. Angel didn't make any appearances as a member of the student body during that time. BUT, when she finally did resurface in Exiles #72 (occurring moments after the M-Day warp), she and her kids were still living in the old shack in the woods of the Institute grounds. So there's that piece of minor evidence that she was still at the school. (Or at least using them for babysitting.) ;)

Also, the Xavier Institute handbook entry states that Angel was a member of the Exemplars squad. I was involved with proofing the Institute handbook entry, and I seem to recall Angel's Exemplars status being from the comics, NOT a Handbook invention. I can't find the reference right this second -- but if that's true, then she WAS at the school during a time when codenames were mandatory.

More research is needed.

(Also, I didn't take Angel's comments about Archangel in #131 as "contemptuous of others' codenames" in general, I took it to be about how he and she had the same name.)

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

D'oh. Angel's status as an Examplars member was backstory provided to the Handbooks by "New X-Men" writers Nunzio DeFillipis and Christina Weir. It never made it into their comics, but if they had continued writing the title they would have revealed Angel as a member of that team.

So there we have it. The only contemporary piece of on-panel evidence that Angel attended the school during the "mandatory codenames" period was the fact that she lived in a shack on the school grounds in Exiles #72.

So, I guess I go back to looking at her Morrison-era appearances to see if she ever treats "Angel" as a codename.

Or, hmm, maybe looking at various recap pages to see if THEY do so.

-Jeph!