Comic Pro

Re: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl v1 #1

Post by JephYork »

A short time later

A little later

A short time later

Shortly

Soon
Remind me again why we do this. This is a giant pain in the butt to read through, especially when you're just listing things like "citizens of New York" over and over.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Also:
squirrel's on campus
Come on now.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:
A short time later

A little later

A short time later

Shortly

Soon
Remind me again why we do this. This is a giant pain in the butt to read through, especially when you're just listing things like "citizens of New York" over and over.
It started after this post, when several characters that appeared in flashback were listed without it being noted that they only appeared in flashback:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6768
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

The later, short time later, ect. is to show a break in scene. I do this as to not miss characters or if someone has a question we can re-look at it and note a missed appearance. I noted the other squirrels as opposed to Tippy-Toe because they are part of the story and actually communicate with Squirrel Girl. I didn't write the story, If the squirrels were just back ground I wouldn't have included them. Other people, like NYPD or "citizens of" I put up because later they might get a name then I ad on "including" and then the name.

Rather than argue any of this, I'll just straight list the characters and whether they appear in FB's (If I miss any just add them on). No need to confuse anyone, just trying to be thorough. I don't no how many issues I've added to the watch, but its quite a lot. I'm not an expert of every character of the Marvel Universe so if I miss one or misidentify them just post up a friendly addition.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Don't let cranky old Jeph discourage you Jason. Keep up the great work! :)
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Requesting moderator namechange to "Cranky Old Jeph."
The later, short time later, ect. is to show a break in scene.
I understand that. But why is it important to note that sort of thing here, in the Watch, where the only point of the post is to just list the issue's characters?

If an issue jumps to, say, "three months later", I can see where it's helpful to note which specific characters appeared in which specific parts. And I understand that it's definitely important to list who appears in flashback, versus who appears in the main story.

But is it really important to break an issue down to THIS level of detail? Six separate lists every time there's a tiny time jump? "Well, guess I'll go to class!" SHORTLY... "Boy, class was boring, I think I'll fight crime." AND THEN... "Here I am fighting crime!" And because of that you list squirrel Girl three times in three lists and "humans of New York" in two.

It just seems like a big waste of YOUR time, as someone who makes up this list -- and it certainly makes it harder for someone else to skim through.

99% of the issues you cover aren't going to need this level of detail. And the 1% that DO need this level of detail will no doubt be discussed to death in the main forum, as we actively look for scene breaks to place other issues in between. Here, in the Watch, I don't need to know that Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 has six scenes separated by "SHORTLY" and "A BIT LATER" and "SOON". And I don't need to invest the time to read six separate lists to see who appeared in the issue.

It just seems like stopping this scene breakdown routine, except in big glaring cases, would make everyone's life easier, including yours.

I noted the other squirrels as opposed to Tippy-Toe because they are part of the story and actually communicate with Squirrel Girl. I didn't write the story, If the squirrels were just back ground I wouldn't have included them.
I was actually talking about the apostrophe, Jason. "squirrel's." Apostrophes don't go in pluralized words.

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Cranky Old Jeph wrote:Requesting moderator namechange to "Cranky Old Jeph."
YAAASSSS