Marvel Premiere #32

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marvel Premiere #32

Post by Col_Fury »

MARVEL PREMIERE #32 (October, 1976)
By HOWARD CHAYKIN!

APPEARANCES:
Monark Starstalker (also in fb), Ulysses (also in fb), Emanuel Shaw, Brigid Siebold, Kurt Hammer, Bob Hightower, Robin Goodfriend

FLASHBACK:
Seven years ago, Monark Starstalker worked as a rigger; his nervous system was wird into his ship. While on patrol, his ship was attacked by hostiles. He escaped through the core of a nova, but his nervous system was fried. A neutral ship picked him up and repaired him, but his nervous system is now housed remotely in a robot hawk named Ulysses.
SYNOPSIS:
Monark Starstalker, cyborg bounty hunter, arrives on the planet Stormking looking to collect the bounty on Kurt Hammer. Local sheriff Bob Hightower doesn’t think Kurt did anything wrong (even though Kurt killed a bunch of guys), so Bob tells Starstalker to get lost. Starstalker gets to know Robin Goodfriend and they have some fun. Meanwhile, Kurt murders Federation representative Emanuel Shaw. When Bob intervenes, Kurt kills him, too. Starstalker hears about the commotion and with Kurt no longer hiding, easily defeats Kurt in the middle of the wilderness. Starstalker brings Kurt back to town to collect the bounty; he doesn’t seem to mind that Kurt died from exposure during the trip.

NOTE:
Monark Starstalker is pulled into the present-day Marvel Universe through the Fault in Nova v4 #29-30, which is already in the MCP. Ulysses appears as well.

Placement suggestions:

*MONARK STARSTALKER (change name to MONARK STARSTALKER | FEDERATION FUTURE)
*M/PRM 32-FB
*M/PRM 32
NO4 29
NO4 30

*ULYSSES V (change name to ULYSSES | FEDERATION FUTURE)
*M/PRM 32-FB
*M/PRM 32
NO4 29
NO4 30
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Marvel Premiere #32

Post by DonCampbell »

Col_Fury wrote:FLASHBACK:
Seven years ago, Monark Starstalker worked as a rigger; his nervous system was wird into his ship. While on patrol, his ship was attacked by hostiles. He escaped through the core of a nova, but his nervous system was fried. A neutral ship picked him up and repaired him, but his nervous system is now housed remotely in a robot hawk named Ulysses.
It should be pointed out that Monark Starstalker's origin (as depicted in M/PRM 32-FB) is significantly altered by the revelation (in NO4 30) that he is actually a nanite construct and not a cyborg. In fact, if Starstalker is completely artificial, then it could well be that the "origin" which he remembers is total fiction, something programmed into him by his creators. In that case, the FB listed should be discarded as something that "didn't really happen."

Personally, I liked the "real" Starstalker character and, if I were God-Editor of the Marvel Universe, I would decree that there were actually two (or more) Monark Starstalkers in existence. The Starstalker cyborg from M/PRM was the original whose origin was exactly as shown while the Starkstalker nanite construct from NO4 29-30 was a copy (perhaps one of many) patterned after the original and programmed with the original's memories.

Of course, this is mere fanfic on my part but I prefer it over the official story that Starstalker has always been a construct.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Could he have just been upgraded over the years? Meaning, he's a nanite construct NOW, but maybe not then?

I hadn't read this before, picked it up and was all excited when I saw it by Chaykin. I wasn't disappointed! :)
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Col_Fury wrote:Could he have just been upgraded over the years? Meaning, he's a nanite construct NOW, but maybe not then?
When Starstalker is "killed" in NO4 30, his hawk plays a recorded message from the Technos Group which refers to him as "this Starstalker series nanotool." This definitely implies that there are multiple Starstalkers (al.

After he reactivates, Starstalker assumes that he just passed out until Nova Centurion Irani Rael reveals that he's a nanite construct and thus not "alive at all." Starstalker later reveals that he's "just a nanotech program" and that he didn't even know it. His ignorance of his true nature suggests that he's always been a construct. On the other hand, I suppose it would be possible that he was the original Starstalker who was first turned into a cyborg and later upgraded but if that was the case then the upgrade must have happened without him being aware of it.

As it stands, if there is only one Starstalker then the M/PRM origin is (probably) false whereas if there are multiple Starstalkers then the M/PRM origin could be true for the original who may (or may not) be the template for the other Starstalkers who are all nanite constructs.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, you're probably right that the flashback can't stand. Oh, well.

Fantastic art, though! (in M/PRM 32 I mean; it's been years since I read those Nova issues and don't recall who illustrated them).
-Daron Jensen