Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Modern-Era Marvel Chronology? NEED HELP PLEASE

Post by wolverine7230 »

Hi guys,

So, I’m trying to combine loads of threads together into one to try and create one huge Marvel Modern-Era reading order. I’m going to go with Panel-by-Panel for each crossover, and Page-by-Page between the crossovers, except in special cases, this is what I’ve got so far, and what I need:

Avengers Disassembled
Avengers Disassembled – House of M
House of M
House of M – Civil War
Civil War
Civil War – World War Hulk
World War Hulk
World War Hulk – Secret Invasion
Secret Invasion: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4160&p=26192 (Complete?)
Secret Invasion – Utopia
Utopia
Utopia – Siege: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10219 (Complete?)
Siege: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4857&p=30188 (Complete?)
Siege – Fear Itself: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10248 (Complete?)
Fear Itself: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10274 (Complete?)
Fear Itself – AvX: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10301 (Complete?)
Avengers vs X-Men: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6712 (Complete?)
AvX – Infinity: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10318 (Still in Progress)
Infinity
Infinity – Original Sin
Original Sin: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9387 (Still needs a lot of work)
Original Sin – AXIS
AXIS
AXIS – Secret Wars
Secret Wars – Up until the Incursion
History of Battleworld (The 8 Years before Secret Wars #2 and the main event)?

Also, any other threads with chronologies for this era, please give me links to, even if it’s just before Disassembled.

After Secret Wars, I should be able to contribute more myself when I get a Marvel Unlimited subscription, but at the moment I’m all caught up spending loads on Secret Wars. Marvel how are you so good at taking my money?!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Modern-Era Marvel Chronology? NEED HELP PLEASE

Post by Russ Chappell »

Welcome to the forum, Wolverine7230.

They're not forum posts, but for pre-Secret Invasion chronologies, check Paul Bourcier's Marvel Calendar (link is among those at the bottom of the page). It's important to distinguish that these are not "reading orders," but chronologies. Aside from the impractical practice of moving among different titles for each panel, they include flashbacks, many of which reveal spoilers that the creators never intended for the reader to know, at the time the flashbacks "occur."

We've found that the best practice is to read the books the first time in the order they came on sale, and then use the chronologies to help piece the events together, later. Good luck!
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

It's important to distinguish that these are not "reading orders," but chronologies.
I realise this, but am converting this into a very accurate spoiler-free Reading Order. If it's just a Flashback that expands on a fight scene, for example, I will leave it in. But if the Flashback ruins future plots (eg In Back in Black when Spidey goes back in time to stop Aunt May getting shot), I would remove that, and just say that you read it with the rest of the story.

Also, about the impracticalities of moving between panel, I scan all my comics (obviously not my really old ones) and edit the pages together.

Thanks for reminding me about the Marvel Calendar, I had completely forgotten about that.

Any idea about chronologies for between Secret Invasion and Utopia?

Many Thanks
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

It's not exactly complete, but the Pre- & Post- Secret Invasion topic covers the area you're looking for. It started off trying to figure out where the Secret Invasion crossover happened for books that didn't have tie-in issues.

As for pre-Secret Invasion stuff, the NA 28-30 flashback and Dr Doom in prison topics talk about tightening up the existing chronologies the MCP already has.

Welcome to the MCP, wolverine7230! :)
-Daron Jensen
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Thanks Col_Fury!

I firmly think that now the 616-universe has ended, we should really make a big push to make one, huge, comprehensive, solid chronology from either Motion Picture Funnies #1 or Fantastic Four #1, all the way through to Secret Wars #1. The way I see it is that now we're not constantly getting material piled on over our heads (although we'll probably get the odd flashback), it's as good a time as any to work really hard on getting a rock solid chronology complete.