Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Guardians Team-Up #8

Post by DonCampbell »

Groot
Silver Surfer (and board)
crew of an alien starship involved in a war
alien attackers in small ships
body of another member of the Flora Colossi (a prisoner aboard the large starship who had recently died)

Note: I distinctly recall reading a back-up story featuring Groot and Rocket Raccoon in which they travelled to Groot’s homeworld and met others of his race. So, how did Groot come to (possibly) be “the last living member of his race?”
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Guardians Team-Up #8

Post by Midnighter »

DonCampbell wrote: Note: I distinctly recall reading a back-up story featuring Groot and Rocket Raccoon in which they travelled to Groot’s homeworld and met others of his race. So, how did Groot come to (possibly) be “the last living member of his race?”
Yes, it was the back-up in Annihilators 1/4.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

DonCampbell wrote:Groot

Note: I distinctly recall reading a back-up story featuring Groot and Rocket Raccoon in which they travelled to Groot’s homeworld and met others of his race. So, how did Groot come to (possibly) be “the last living member of his race?”
Galactus popped by feeling in the mood for a vegetarian meal?
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

loki wrote:
DonCampbell wrote:Note: I distinctly recall reading a back-up story featuring Groot and Rocket Raccoon in which they travelled to Groot’s homeworld and met others of his race. So, how did Groot come to (possibly) be “the last living member of his race?”
Galactus popped by feeling in the mood for a vegetarian meal?
Actually, the idea that the Flora Colossi were extinct first appeared in Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #2 (October, 2007). Two of the Phalanx were discussing a recent biological insertion (by Star-Lord's infiltration team) and one of them stated that a standard life form bioscan had revealed that one of the seven was a Flora Colossus. The second Phalanx then mentioned that "that species [was] data-cached as extinct" but the first Phalanx replied that the data had been updated.

It was (at least) "six months" later, in Annihilators #1/2 (May, 2011), when Rocket Raccoon went to Planet X, capital of the Branch Worlds, to find his friend, King Groot. He met with the Arbor Masters, including the real King Groot (a.k.a. Groot XXCVII), who revealed that Rocket's old friend was actually a "sapling" who "ran off some years back, and travelled the galaxy, claiming he was monarch of Planet X."

Anyway, what I really meant to ask was, since reports of the extinction of the Flora Colossi had previously been premature, is there any reason to believe that current reports are any more accurate? Specifically, has the idea that Groot is the last living member of his race been mentioned anywhere since a whole Planet X of Flora Colossi last appeared, alive and well, in 2007?