AVX to INFINITY

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AVX to INFINITY

Post by Col_Fury »

But doesn't Octavius appear as Spider-Man in issue #1? And doesn't this have to happen before Owl relocates to the West Coast?

We moved the discussion over here, where there's more: http://chronologyproject.com/phpbb2/vie ... =45#p47541
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

What I meant to say is that I have Felicia's appearances in Superior Foes after her appearance in Superior Spider-Man #20, in which Superior Spidey humiliates her (and after the FB in ASM3 1/3 in which the police find her webbed up.)
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Just read Thanos vs. Hulk #1-4.

There's an editorial caption on the intro page that says this takes place when Bruce Banner was still working with S.H.I.E.L.D., and before the Thanos: Infinity Revelation OGN. Iron Man (black & gold armor, and on Earth) and Maria Hill (S.H.I.E.L.D. Director) appear. So, sometime after SECA2 8 and before IM6 5-8. This span is while Banner was working with S.H.I.E.L.D., so that's nice. It's also before INFINITY, so before Thanos was frozen in amber (again).

Also, Gamora, Drax and Quasar all make cameos. This span would be before GOTG3 1, which works out pretty well.

I haven't read the Thanos OGNs yet, but I'm assuming they happen sometime before the INFINITY crossover?

I'm leaning toward just after SECA2 8 for this mini.

Deadpool vs. Thanos #1-4 (well, #4's not out yet) has an editorial caption that says it takes place before DPOOL5 1. Because Deadpool has his healing factor, it also has to happen after DPOOL4 63. Dr. Doom appears, so it would have to be after his return in FF 611. Black Talon appears, but this area is long after he's killed by Punisher in P9 11-FB. Maybe he got better?
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Well, I picked up the Avengers: Endless Wartime OGN.

Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel, Hulk is working with S.H.I.E.L.D., Captain America’s in his new, redesigned suit, Iron Man’s in his black & gold armor (and on Earth) and Wolverine still has his healing factor.

This was published the same month as A5 17-18, CA7 10, CM8 15, IM6 14, INDH 12, NA3 9, T:GOT 11-12, W5 8, W&X 34-35 and the month before Battle of the Atom started.

This has to happen before IM6 5 (14-20), where Iron Man leaves for space; this is still well before W5 1-13, where Wolverine loses his healing powers, so that’s nice.

I’m thinking of placing this in the same area as Thanos vs. Hulk #1-4, before Beast becomes ape-like.
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

The Thanos: the Infinity Revelation OGN was published months after the INFINITY crossover finished, but it has to happen before (because Thanos is frozen at the end of the crossover; by the time he’s freed he’s tied up with incursion stuff). So, publication order’s out the window.

Drax, Rocket Raccoon and Groot all appear here, as do the Annihilators (Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill, Quasar, Gladiator, Ronan & Ikon). Rocket Raccoon’s wearing a costume similar to his GOTG2 look.

Thanos: the Infinity Relativity happens at least a month after Revelation. Star-Lord, Drax, Gamora and Groot appear again (as does Silver Surfer), but the Guardians are now wearing costumes similar to their GOTG3 looks. Also, this ends in a cliffhanger that’s to be continued in the next Thanos OGN.

The Thanos vs. Hulk mini also has cameos by the Guardians, and they’re in their GOTG3 looks. An editor’s note says this happens before Revelation.

So, these OGNs happen sometime after Thanos vs. Hulk #1-4 and before INFINITY. For the Guardians, probably before GOTG3 1.
-Daron Jensen
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Another little snag: Horizon Labs is not around any more after Superior Spider-Man #17-19--but it's present, twice, during Infinity. (Mighty Avengers #1 starts with Cage, OckSpidey et al. guarding some of Horizon's crates; in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #4, Otto ducks into Parker's lab within Horizon.) But as of Inhumanity: Superior Spider-Man, which appears to happen immediately after Infinity, OckSpidey is thinking of himself as "Peter Parker, CEO of Parker Industries."

Two possible explanations:

1) I:SSM happens very shortly after Infinity, and SSM 17-19 happens at some point after that. (Octavius's line about Parker Industries is in the future tense; maybe he's fantasizing about Parker Industries as a next step.)

2) SSM 17-19 happens immediately after Infinity, and I:SSM happens relatively soon after that. (Octavius is already "amassing a treasure trove of Inhuman technology," so he's figured out what's going on Inhumans-wise, and while the city is still smoldering, fires and things do tend to go on for a while after a disaster.)
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Good eye, Clive!

It's looking like Superior 17-19 has to happen after INFINITY. I'm poking around at some other stuff, like the ANX / INDH / SUSM Specials, just to make sure there aren't any knock-on effects of moving this to after the crossover.

Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

FINALLY getting back to this.

I moved SUSM 17-19 to after INFINITY; the ANX / INDH / SUSMTU Specials didn't cause any problems.

SUSM 17-19 still have to be before SUSMTU 5-8, though. Miguel O'Hara gets stuck in the present day in SUSM 17-19, and he's already here in SUSMTU 5-8. So there's that.

Thanks again!
-Daron Jensen
HazankoAlpha
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by HazankoAlpha »

I apologize if I'm committing a faux pas posting in this old thread, but I'm reading through this period now, in the most recent order hashed out in this thread, and I've noted a few potential issues I haven't seen mentioned.

AVENGSM 18 comes after SUPSM 4-6 on the list here. In SUPSM 6 the Avengers discuss Spider-Man's recent unusual behavior, and Thor mentions recently fighting alongside him, with a footnote pointing us to AVENGSM 18. I'd agree that if that was an awkward fit, we could make the assumption that Thor is referring to another, possibly unseen, caper. But reading the two comics, I don't see any reason why AVENGSM 18 would have to come afterwards. It's actually awkward this way, because the Avengers summon SpOck in SUPSM 7 to run tests on him and put him on probation, following their agreeing to do so in the end of SUPSM 6. Thor having a team-up with him in between the two SUPSM issues feels off.

In SUPSM 8, after the Avengers test him, can't find anything wrong, but inform him that he's on probation, SpOck swings away thinking to himself "it's just dumb luck that Iron Man is busy gallivanting through space". This comes after the first 16 pages of Iron Man 5, but well before the list in this thread has Tony leaving for space. How easily this could be moved, I have no idea. I imagine a lot of shuffling would be involved.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Re: AVENGSM 18 vs. SUPSM 4-6
Good catch! I've flipped their order in the map.

As for Iron Man, the reference in SUSM 8 has to be some pre-gallivanting instead of his actual trip into space where he joins the Guardians of the Galaxy. The progression of Spider-Man's suit makes it very unlikely that Iron Man actually left as early as SUSM 8. So I guess he's checking things out before he makes a vacation of it. Or something.

Thanks, and welcome to the MCP HazankoAlpha!
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:As for Iron Man, the reference in SUSM 8 has to be some pre-gallivanting instead of his actual trip into space where he joins the Guardians of the Galaxy.
He also went into space "on a little vacation" at the end of Fraction's run (IM 527).
Aragorn45
Minion
Minion

Post by Aragorn45 »

Shouldn't Uncanny Avengers 7-22 take place after Infinity. Wonder Man appeared in Avengers Assemble #20 during Infinity, so he should be active then. In UA 21-22 Rogue completely absorbs Wonder Man into herself, where he has remained since. These issues have to take place after Infinity.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

UA 7-22 presents a whole slew of problems. It's one of the things that tends to happen when a story lasts over a year. No matter where we place AU 7-22, SOMETHING is going to have to be explained.

Wolverine still has his healing factor in UA 7-22, so this story has to happen before he loses it. Wolverine doesn't have his healing factor immediately after INFINITY, and there's evidence that he doesn't have it during INFINITY. In theory, UA 7-22 would have to happen before INFINITY, then.

In AASS 20, Wasp is wearing the outfit she got during UA 7-22. Again, this points to UA 7-22 happening before INFINITY. Of course, Wonder Man appears in AASS 20, and how important are clothes, anyway?

So yeah, we have two things pointing to before INFINITY, and one thing pointing to after. If there was no way out, I'd say Wonder Man was the more important thing but we do have a way out. But first, a side point. :wink:

Havok and Rogue (and therefore Wonder Man) are implied to be permanently stuck in tubes while Beast is running tests on them between UA 22-23, and yet they have to make appearances elsewhere during this time. On top of that, Havok's face is scarred, but it isn't when he appears in other comics. The running theory is that them being stuck in tubes permanently is hogwash and that Havok is using an image inducer to hide his face (until he's not anymore, as seen in AXIS).

We know that back in the day when Rogue absorbed Ms. Marvel, Ms. Marvel's personality would occasionally take prominence. Of course, this was just a copy of Ms. Marvel's personality, because she continued to exist after Rogue absorbed her powers and memories (albeit with amnesia). In this case, though, Rogue didn't just absorb Wonder Man's memories and powers, she actually absorbed him totally, somehow as a side effect of his ionic powers.

Tying it all together, that COULD be Rogue in AASS 20, Wonder Man's personality is in control, and they're using an image inducer to make her look like him. OR, they're using Wonder Man's ionic powers to (somehow) make her look like him. Rogue's not a complete jerk, and could be giving him a timeshare of sorts to keep his life in order until they figure out a way to separate themselves from each other.

Of course, that's just a theory. :)

Again, no matter where we place UA 7-22, something is going to have to be handwaved away. Is the current placement messy? HELL YES. But putting everything together, I just don't see many, if any, options around it.

Isn't chronology fun? :lol:
-Daron Jensen
Aragorn45
Minion
Minion

Post by Aragorn45 »

Wasp changes outfits frequently, so she could be wearing the new outfit during Infinity.
UA 7-22 could happen after Infinity and before Wolverine loses his healing powers, or Wolverine's healing powers could have temporarily kicked back in.
Siabod
Hero
Hero

Post by Siabod »

Scarlet Spider 5-9 is missing. It's not in the Fear Itself to AvX or the AvX to Infinity lists

The "previously" section in #5 seems to show a scene from AvX ( initial attack on Utopia)

Otherwise no timing clues I could find in 5-9

Also the obvious missing books: Minimum Carnage Alpha and Omega which book end Scarlet Spider 10-11/ venom 26-27