Asked again: Whatever happened to S.H.I.E.L.D. Volume 2?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Asked again: Whatever happened to S.H.I.E.L.D. Volume 2?

Post by DonCampbell »

Back in May of 2012, OVER THREE YEARS AGO, I posted the following:
Did Jonathan Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. Volume Two ever end? It was supposed to be a 6-issue miniseries but I only have the first four issues. I was thinking that I must have somehow missed the final two issues but I've since checked and I can't find any solicitations for them in the Marvel Previews. So what happened? Were they cancelled? Or just delayed while Hickman worked on the FF series (in addition to Fantastic Four)?
Kevin W. responded with this:
This was just answered in the "Axel-In-Charge" column yesterday, as a matter of fact:
From the article:
EarthOneComics stopped in to check on a fan favorite series, asking: "I'm a big fan of Jonathan Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. series. If I recall correctly the second volume was supposed to run 6 issues but it's been months since issue #4 came out. What's the status of the last two issues?"

Alonso: Those issues are being worked on even you read this. Somewhere [artist] Dustin Weaver's ears are burning.
I've revived this topic because of the recent appearance (in issue #9 of the current S.H.I.E.L.D. ongoing series) of a man claiming to be Leonardo da Vinci who revealed some of the "secret history" of S.H.I.E.L.D. to Agent Phil Coulson. Although those "historical facts" were consistent with what was revealed in Hickman's series, this story had the present-day characters being decidedly skeptical about da Vinci's claims. That got me to wondering, is this Mark Waid performing a retcon of some (or all) of the 2010 series? Or could it be that an upcoming storyline in the current series will include material from those never-published final two issues of Hickman's series?

Also, the preview for the upcoming new Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. series seems to have taken the idea (from Original Sins #5) that Dum Dum Dugan has been an LMD for the past 49 years and confirmed (beyond any doubt) that it is canon. I'm looking forward to see what happens there.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Asked again: Whatever happened to S.H.I.E.L.D. Volume 2?

Post by Col_Fury »

The ancient order of the Shield has appeared in other comics since, like in Red She-Hulk. So yeah, it's all still canon.

This got me wondering what the book's artist Dustin Weaver's been up to, so I found out he has a blog. Two days ago he posted this:
Dustin Weaver wrote:In S.H.I.E.L.D. news: I've seen the colors for the final issue and they look so amazing! Sonia Oback is doing such great work. Still no word on the release date for the last two issues. All I know is that it has to happen after all the Secret Wars stuff.
It sounds like after Secret Wars, which just got an extra issue added to it (nine instead of eight), so there's hope! :) But maybe not until early next year.
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Thanks, guys. I knew I could count on someone here to know what's going on. Even though I'm not that happy about Hickman's retcons, I'm really curious as to how that series is going to end.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Excerpt from an interview with Jonathan Hickman and Tom Brevoort that was posted on the Comic Book Resources website:
Hickman & Brevoort Discuss "Secret Wars'" End & Ushering in the New Marvel Universe
Wed, January 13th, 2016 at 12:10pm PST

CBR News: Finally, Jonathan, I understand the only thing left to be released from your initial stint at Marvel is the remaining issues of "SHIELD."

Jonathan Hickman: Yeah, I have to turn in those script passes. I'll probably do those in the next couple of weeks, now that all of this is locked down. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing next. I'll figure something out.
So, those last two issues, which should have shipped in February and April of 2012, might finally arrive in a few months time.

I hope they're worth the wait.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Earlier today I was looking through the March 2018 Marvel Previews for information about items shipping in May when I noticed - TO MY COMPLETE SURPRISE - that the final two issues of Jonathan Hickman's 6-issue S.H.I.E.L.D. miniseries were finally solicited again. Even better, they are being published as individual issues and NOT as part of a TPB collecting the entire S.H.I.E.L.D. miniseries. Instead, the first four issues are being collected in a one-shot.

And they're only six years late...and two years after the last update about them.

Good things come to those who wait?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

wat

OMG I CANT BELIEVE IT
-Daron Jensen