Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: AXIS to SECRET WARS

Post by Jason Doty »

Col Fury

In regards to "Time Runs Out" and the X-Men. These issues should take place after UX 600

In UX 600, young Jean Grey decides to leave the X-Men, starts a relation ship with young Beast, which young Cyclops witnessed. Old Beast leaves the X-Men, Cyclops holds a mutant rally in D.C.

Since "Time Runs Out" starts off in the future and we only get glimpses into what happened in the past. It is possible for young Cyclops to rejoin his father and be back for a visit. We also learn that old Beast started staying with Cyclops and his X-Nation as well as the X-Nation starting to use Sentinels as security. Old Cyclops also gets his hands on a Phoenix Egg. I don't see the need to move the "young" Cyclops series.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Yep, that's how I placed UX 600. :)

As for Cyclops v3, I had originally placed the first four issues before ORIGINAL SIN, because a lot of time passes during #4 when (young) Cyclops and Corsair are stranded on that planet. However, (young) Cyclops and Corsair appears in Avengers World #17, which is shortly after AXIS; they can't appear in another book while they're stranded on a planet, so Cyclops v3 #1-11 (which is a fairly continuous string of events ending with the Black Vortex crossover) have to happen after Avengers World #17 and before the Black Vortex crossover.

Luckily, the series starts noting that Cyclops has already been in space for a while.

Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

That's not really what I was getting at.

(young) Cyclop's series spun out of the "The Trial of Jean Grey" and ended with "Black Vortex" by UX 600 he is already back.

"Time Runs Out" is supposed to take place just prior to "Last Days" and Secret War

If Jean Grey decides to leave the All-New Crew in UX 600, and they are talking about breaking up, which takes place after Black Vortex. I don't see why young Cyclops couldn't have decided to return to his father, be back for a visit, give Sunspot and his crew a lift. Keeping the events in "Time Runs Out,"as free as they can be of other Marvel stuff, as can be.

If I was reading you right, you suggested moving a "Time Runs Out" issue back into an area where the "eight months later" idea of it, does not seem to make since and having Cyclops entire series moved forward away from the Trial of Jean Grey.

I'm unsure If I've missed understood you, but...

1.) young Cyclops appearing with the Starjammers during a return visit, during an "Eight months later" title, when it does not contradict anything in any other title. Does not mean you have to move his title.

2.) Anything in "Time Runs Out" should take place before the final incursion, but after as much of the Marvel Universe titles as we possibly can.

3. Many events in "Time Runs Out" are still a mystery and take place 8 months after "Old Man Rogers" is hunting the Illuminati. A very different place then we see in the current (titles ending, before the Final Incursion) titles.

This is just my opinion and hope it can be of assistance.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Avengers World #17, pages 1-19 happen shortly after AXIS; Cannonball's girlfriend finds out she's pregnant. This is where Cyclops and Corsair appear.

Avengers World #17, page 20 happens seven or eight months later, where Cannonball's child is born. This happens during the "world is getting ready to end" chunk, shortly before Secret Wars.

This is where Avengers World #17 was always placed.

What I moved was, Cyclops v3 #1-4 from before ORIGINAL SIN to after Avengers World #17; now all of Cyclops v3 is after AXIS (and Avengers World #17, page 19) and before Black Vortex.

It's all good! :D
-Daron Jensen
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

7-8 months? Isn't that a bit premature, seeing as pregnancy is usually 40 weeks after conception. That's 9 months, 1 week. Isn't 30ish weeks REALLY quite premature? I mean, it could be that the combination of superhuman DNA and Shi'Ar tech shuffles things along a bit, or that you know something I don't, but that's just what came to mind...
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Nine months from conception, sure. But when did she find out? It's not like people know the day it happens; she likely had to miss a period first before she thought about taking a test, and that could have been a month or two later.

I'm just saying, we have some wiggle room. :)
-Daron Jensen
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Yeah, fair enough, I guess that sometimes I take things too literally, lol. I guess the way I interpreted it was that she took the test the morning after, but actually, seeing as Cannonball isn't around when she takes the test, I think that your interpretation is correct. ooOO?!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Thanks for clarifying the break your making in the issue Fury. I'll give it a closer look. Thanks.

*Just looked at it, great call, and it comes under the moniker "Before Time Runs Out."
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

The last issues of Silver Surfer, Groot and S.H.I.E.L.D. are out!

Silver Surfer and Groot happen where we figured.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #12: Iron Man doesn't appear (a divergent version does), but he's in red & gold armor, but not his current streamlined armor. It looks more, um, generic? Given that the Asgardians are attacking Earth in this divergent reality, I'll just assume this is some battle-specific armor.

When did Iron Man get imprisoned by the Illuminati? This would either have to happen before that, or after he's released.
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Col_Fury wrote:
When did Iron Man get imprisoned by the Illuminati? This would either have to happen before that, or after he's released.
NEW AVENGERS v3 #26 – FB
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Ah, fighting the alternate reality Terrax. Thanks!

This would be before A5 37-FB / AW 18-FB where Terrax announces to the world that the universe is ending, I'm assuming. Also, before SW5 9-10, where Black Widow gives Spider-Woman her old costume so they can help save the world and later visit the imprisoned Iron Man.

In that case, I'll say SHIELD3 12 happens before Iron Man is imprisoned.

Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

This probably doesn't change much, but I noticed on a reread of New Avengers #8 (which happens immediately before INFINITY) that Tony and Reed's cryptic conversation is, in retrospect, clearly about sending Hank Pym off on the mission from which he returns during Time Runs Out. (They note at the time that their worst-case scenario is that "he'll have three months"; when Hank reappears, they mention that he left "almost eight months ago.")

It looks like Hank appears in Avengers Undercover "three months" after the end of Avengers Arena and again another "three months" after that, and, as Col. Fury noted, the "eight months" Hank's gone has to start around the time of AXIS. So... maybe Tony and Reed subsequently revised their estimates ("ah, we've got a little while yet before we have to start blowing up planets") and Hank decided to hang around for a few months before he left?

While we're at it: also in NA3 8, Tony has a flashback to seeing the Living Tribunal dead on the Moon. When's the last living appearance of ol' triple-face? It might be "The Infinity Revelation" OGN--Jim Starlin has said that that book is post-Infinity, but I can't really see how it could be anything other than pre-Infinity (thanks to Thanos and Corvus Glaive running around free & not on Earth). (And--how odd is it that "Living Tribunal dead on the Moon," which nobody talks about for a year or so afterward, is quickly followed by "Watcher dead on the Moon," which is a huge deal?)
robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by robfj »

Further to the placing of Rage of Ultron in the post-Secret Wars universe:-

Hank Pym has showed up again - in Uncanny Avengers #4 in outer space melded with Ultron.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

I'm pretty sure we had a brief conversation about this before, but what is the reasoning behind All-New Ghost Rider #11-12 (and everything after it) taking place in July?
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Also, I just noticed a little mistake in the Last Days segment of the chronology:
Spider-Woman #9-10 are listed together, in the middle of Time Runs Out, although Spider-Woman #10 clearly takes place on the day of the incursion, with flashbacks to "two days" prior.
Then, I re-read Black Widow #19-20, and although between the three issues in question, only 5 pages aren't in flashback, the correct sequence would be:
Black Widow #19 - Black Widow talks to Cap (Sam) prior to take off
Spider-Woman #10 - Black Widow talks to Spider-Woman prior to take off, and the ship takes off
Black Widow #20 - Ship is in the air
I don't have access to Spider-Woman #9 at the moment, but this is how I believe it should be.

Thanks,
-David