ROBIN HOOD (FANDRAL), KING RICHARD THE LIONHEARTED AND THE THIRD CRUSADE

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Here is my write up of the events of the Third Crusade in the Marvel Universe. Included are historical characters like Richard the Lionhearted and legendary characters like Robin Hood. A few notes:
1/ THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2-FB strongly implies that Fandral the Dashing is actually Robin Hood, and Thor Official Index seems to support this.
2/ DEFENDERS #11 and MARVEL FANFARE #53 state that the soul of the first Black Knight, Sir Percy of Scandia, also exists within the shared body of Eobar Garrington and Dane Whitman, thus he is BTS for these appearances.
3/ I organized many of the events based upon historical records of the Third Crusade, and thus have reorganized some chronological placements.

AVENGERS #225-FB
Characters: Amergin
Synopsis: In the distant past, Amergin (an ancestor of Doctor Druid) leads his people to Avalon.

IDEAL #4 (1:2 - 2:2)
Characters: Peter the Hermit
Synopsis: Peter the Hermit, an emissary of the church, travels across Europe and preaches the Third Crusade.
Notes: The date given was incorrectly given as "1190," as the Third Crusade began in 1189. Note that the historical Peter the Hermit actually lived 1050-1115.

IDEAL #4 (2:3 - 12)
Characters: Richard I (also as Black Knight), Henry II, Geoffrey II, Henry the Young King, Sir Herbert Walter, Sir George of Scotland
Synopsis: Prince Richard and his brothers Duke Geoffrey II and Henry the Young King conspire against their father King Henry II. Richard disguises himself as the Black Knight (unrelated to the Black Knights descended from Sir Percy of Scandia) during a jousting match. He and his brothers lead a rebellion against Henry II but are defeated. Richard flees back to his Duchy of Aquitaine.
Notes: Historically this revolt occurred 1173-1174, when Richard, born 1157, was a "sixteen year old."

IDEAL #4 (13:1 - 13:4)
Characters: Richard I
Synopsis: In Aquitaine, Richard recieves word from Henry II that Henry the Young King has died (and Geoffrey died a few years earlier).
Notes: Date is "1183" and "ten years" after the revolt in 1173. Historically Henry the Young King did die in 1183, but Geoffrey actually died in 1186.

IDEAL #4 (13:5 - 13:6)
Characters: Richard I, Philip II, Alais
Synopsis: In Aquitaine, Richard meets with King Philip of France and his sister Alais, whom Henry II had betrothed Richard to.
Notes: Date is "the twelfth century."

CLANDESTINE #5-FB
Characters: Adam Destine, Elalyth
Synopsis: In Ravenscroft, England, young Adam falls on a scythe and is mortally wounded, but the djinn Elalyth heals him.
Notes: Date is 1184, as Adam, born in "1168," was in his "sixteenth year."

IDEAL #4 (15:6)-FB
Characters: Saladin
Synopsis: The Saracen leader Saladin captures the city of Acre in Israel.
Notes: Saladin captured Acre in 1187.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (3:5 - 5:4)-FB
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Maid Marian, Garldoff the Gargantuan One
Synopsis: When chased by the giant Garldoff, Fandral falls through a portal from Asgard to Earth. He dispatches soldiers attacking peasants and falls in love with Maid Marian.
Notes: Thor Official Index listing for TSTRK 18/2 indicates that Fandral was probably Robin Hood, and identifies the nameless characters depicted as the Merry Men, King Richard and Prince John. Reference to "the 11th century" from Thor Official Index is incorrect, as Robin Hood was a contemporary of King Richard I and King John of England, thus active during the late 12th and early 13th centuries. Note that currently the MCP currently has TSTRK 18/2-FB and IH2 284 placed between M/S-H3 5 and M/:LG 5, but they must occur much earlier as Fandral's adventures as Robin Hood in TSTRK 18/2-FB and IH2 284 occurred before he first met Volstagg, as in TSTRK 18/2-FB, Fandral mentions that when he returned from Earth to Asgard, that "shortly thereafter, I first encountered the voluminous Volstagg," and they first met in T 400/2-FB.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (33:1 - 33:2, 34:4)-FB
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Maid Marian
Synopsis: Fandral (as Robin Hood) and Marian share a brief and youthful romance in Locksley, England.
Notes: Fandral appears to have used the name of Robin while living in Locksley.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (2 - 7)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Will Scarlet, Allan-A-Dale, Arthur-A-Bland
Synopsis: When living in Locksley, Robin is attacked by soldiers. Killing them, he becomes an outlaw and flees into Sherwood Forest, encountering the Merry Men and becoming their leader. He is forced to leave Maid Marian behind in Locksley.
Notes: This occurred "when King Henry the Second ruled merry England," placing the early stories of Robin Hood as an outlaw between 1154 to 1189, probably the mid to late 1180s and before Richard I became king in 1189.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (8 - 13)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Little John (John Little), Will Scarlet, Allan-A-Dale, Arthur-A-Bland
Synopsis: Robin encounters Little John, and after a hearty battle, invites him to join the Merry Men.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (14 - 20)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Will Scarlet, Friar Tuck, Much the Miller's Son, Little John
Synopsis: Robin encounters Friar Tuck and invites him to join the Merry Men.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (21 - 27)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Will Scarlet, Friar Tuck, Little John, Sheriff of Nottingham, William of York
Synopsis: The Merry Men rob wealthy merchants and give to the poor. The Sheriff of Nottingham holds an archery contest to capture Robin but fails.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (28 - 32)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Will Scarlet, Friar Tuck, Little John, Sheriff of Nottingham
Synopsis: Robin Hood tricks the Sheriff to enter Sherwood Forest, where the Merry Men rob him.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (33 - 37)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Maid Marian, Will Scarlet, Friar Tuck, Little John
Synopsis: Maid Marian of Locksley reunites with Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest.

YOUNG ALLIES #7/2
Characters: Tommy Tyme, Fandral (as Robin Hood), Allan-A-Dale, Friar Tuck, Little John, Sir Loin
Synopsis: In 1943, Tommy Tyme recieves the magical Clock of the Ages from a genie. He travels back in time and meets the Robin Hood (who has taken to wearing red) and the Merry Men. Tommy convinces Robin the wear green for camoflague and helps them defeat Sir Loin before returning to his own time.
Notes: Almost "a thousand years back." Allan-A-Dale is called "Alan A'Hale" in this story.

INCREDIBLE HULK v2 #284
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Little John, Black Duke
Synopsis: The Leader sends Hawkeye and Iron Man to the 12th century, but they are rescued by the Avengers during a battle between the forces of Robin Hood and the Black Duke.
Notes: During "the 12th century." Thor Official Index listing for TSTRK 18/2 confirms that Fandral was present. Note that currently the MCP currently has TSTRK 18/2-FB and IH2 284 placed between M/S-H3 5 and M/:LG 5, but they must occur much earlier as Fandral's adventures as Robin Hood in TSTRK 18/2-FB and IH2 284 occurred before he first met Volstagg, as in TSTRK 18/2-FB, Fandral mentions that after he returned from Earth to Asgard, that "shortly thereafter, I first encountered the voluminous Volstagg," and they first met in THOR 400/2-FB.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (7:2)-FB
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Will Scarlet, Little John, Friar Tuck
Synopsis: In Sherwood Forest, Robin Hood and the Merry Men rob a merchant and his guards.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (7:3)-FB
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood)
Synopsis: In a castle, Robin Hood and the Merry Men battle soldiers.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (7:4 - 7:5)-FB
Synopsis: Robin Hood and Marian walk through Sherwood Forest and kiss.

IDEAL #4 (13:7)
Characters: Henry II (BTS)
Synopsis: Henry II dies.
Notes: Date is "the year 1189." Henry II died on July 6, 1189, and Richard I is coronated as King of England on September 3, 1189.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (38:2)-FB
Characters: Richard I, Sheriff of Nottingham
Synopsis: The new King Richard wants to meet Robin Hood, but the Sheriff of Nottingham warns him against it.
Notes: This story occurs in 1189, as Richard is "a new king in the land."

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (38 - 43:5)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Will Scarlet, Little John, Friar Tuck, Richard I, Much the Miller's Son
Synopsis: King Richard enters Sherwood Forest and befriends Robin Hood and his Merry Men.
Notes: This story occurs in 1189, as Richard is "a new king in the land."

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (8:1)-FB
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Maid Marian, Little John, Friar Tuck, Richard I, Prince John (BTS)
Synopsis: King Richard, Robin Hood and the Merry Men celebrate after defeating an "evil tyrant" (Prince John).
Notes: Thor Official Index listing for TSTRK 18/2 confirms that the "evil tyrant" was Prince John, the younger brother of King Richard, who often plotted against Richard.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (8:2)-FB
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Maid Marian, King Richard
Synopsis: After Robin Hood and Marian are wed, King Richard prepares to make Robin a noble, holding his sword up and preparing to place it upon his shoulder.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (43:6)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Maid Marian, King Richard
Synopsis: After Robin Hood and Marian wed, King Richard places his sword upon Robin's shoulder, making him a noble.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (8:3)-FB
Synopsis: Robin Hood and Marian feast at their wedding.

IDEAL #4 (14 - 15)
Characters: Richard I, Philip II, Alais, Peter the Hermit
Synopsis: Richard is the King of England, and declines marrying Alais, but Peter the Hermit convinces Richard and Philip to join the Third Crusade.
Notes: Sometime after Richard became king on September 3, 1189.

IDEAL #4 (16:1 - 16:4)
Characters: Saladin
Synopsis: Saladin leads the Saracens against crusaders in the Holy Land.

IDEAL #4 (16:5 - 17:1)
Synopsis: Richard and his army set out on vessels for the Third Crusade.
Notes: Richard set out during the summer of 1190. Reference to "1191" was erroneous.

IDEAL #4 (17:2 - 17:3)
Characters: Richard I, Philip II
Synopsis: The fleets of Richard and Philip meet in Sicily.
Notes: Richard arrives in Sicily in September 1190, and both fleets decide to winter there.

IDEAL #4 (17:4 - 18:4)
Characters: Richard I, Philip II, Alais, Berengaria
Synopsis: While in Sicily, Richard again turns down betrothal to Alais, but falls in love with Berengaria.
Notes: "Days" after their arrival in Sicily.

BLACK KNIGHT #1/2
Characters: Crusader (El Alemain/Lord O'Dare), Sir John O'Dare, Gerlaine, Tenga Khan
Synopsis: A storm separates the ship of Sir John O'Dare from King Richard's fleet, and most of the crew die of the plague. The survivors encounter a Saracen group led by El Alemain and a Mongol horde led by Tenga Khan. El Alemain defends the dying crusaders, and learns John O'Dare is his long lost brother before he dies. El Alemain then becomes the Crusader, leaving to join Richard.
Notes: This story occurs on April 30, 1191, as historically on April 24, 1191, a storm scattered Richard's fleet, and on "the seventh day," Sir John O'Dare's ship grounded on eastern shores.

IDEAL #4 (18:5)
Characters: Richard I, Berengaria
Synopsis: Richard and Berengaria are wed in Cyprus.
Notes: The wedding took place on May 12, 1191. Reference to this occurring "days" after first meeting is erroneous.

MARVEL FANFARE #52 (2:1 - 2:3)-FB
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Richard I
Synopsis: The soul of Dane Whitman is drawn back in time to revivify the body of his dead ancestor Eobar Garrington. He arrives in Cyprus and meets Richard I.
Notes: This story occurs while Richard was in Cyprus between May 6, 1191 and June 5, 1191. It occurred "months" before "the year of our Lord, 1191" (M/FAN 53). Both DEF 11 and M/FAN 53 confirm that the spirit of Sir Percy resides in the body of the Black Knight alongside Eobar Garrington and Dane Whitman.

BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS (6:2)-FB
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman)
Synopsis: King Richard knights the Black Knight in a castle before the journey to occupied Jerusalem..

DEFENDERS #11
Characters: Richard I, Prince John, Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Temax, Chandu
Synopsis: In Cyprus, Richard has been abducted by an alliance of Prince John, the wizard Chandu, and a resurrected Modred the Evil. The Black Knight and the time traveling Defenders rescue Richard, and the time traveling Prestor John recovers the Evil Eye.
Notes: During "the twelfth century" and "in the middle of the Crusades." Richard states that "the one called the Black Knight -- who joined us from nowhere -- in the final days -- before our capture --" indicates this story occurred shortly after Black Knight appeared in the twelfth century in M/FAN 52 (2:1 - 2:3)-FB. Both DEF 11 and M/FAN 53 confirm that the spirit of Sir Percy resides in the body of the Black Knight alongside Eobar Garrington and Dane Whitman. Chandu later appears in A@ 22. M/FAN 53 confirms this story occurred in Cyprus.

IDEAL #4 (18:6 - 30:4)
Characters: Richard I, Philip II, Alais, Berengaria, Saladin
Synopsis: The fleets of Richard and Philip arrive at the city of Acre and engage the Saracen forces. Richard leads them to victory over the Saracens, but Saladin abducts Berengaria to a fortress. Richard single-handedly rescues her and captures Saladin, returning to the English camp where he attempts to force Saladin to sign a surrender document.
Notes: Philip arrived at Acre on April 20, 1191, and Richard arrived on June 8, 1191. The seige of Acre continues until July 12, 1191. Saladin apparently does not sign the surrender and later escapes, as the Third Crusade continues until 1192. CLAN 5-FB reveals Adam Destine was "a seasoned veteran of battles at Acre, Arsuf and Jaffa."

MARVEL FANFARE #52
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Al-Adil, Moloch
Synopsis: After the surrender of Acre, the Black Knight pursues Al-Adil, the brother of Saladin, but they are captured by a degenerate People of the Hills, possibly descended from Canaanites. Black Knight and Al-Adil work together to destroy the demon Moloch, and each returns to their own people afterwards.
Notes: This story occurs just after July 12, 1191, shortly after the city of Acre surrendered to Richard I and Philip II. Black Knight had commanded cavalry that helped capture the city of Acre.

BLACK KNIGHT #2/3
Characters: Crusader, Richard I, Saladin, Guy de Montfort
Synopsis: Crusader joins the camp of King Richard, and does battle with Saracen leader Saladin.

BLACK KNIGHT #3/3
Characters: Crusader, Richard I, Guy de Montfort, Jacquet, Robert de Quincy
Synopsis: De Montfort has his men capture and sell Crusader to Saracen slavers, but Crusader escapes.

BLACK KNIGHT #4/3
Characters: Crusader, Richard I, Saladin, Guy de Montfort, Robert de Quincy, Fortuno
Synopsis: Saladin captures Quincy, but Crusader rescues him despite the betrayal of de Montfort.

BLACK KNIGHT #5/3
Characters: Crusader, Richard I, Saladin, Guy de Montfort, Baron Hinden
Synopsis: De Montfort has Richard abducted, but Saladin directs Crusader to rescue him.
Notes: All-New OHOTMU A-Z #8 indicates that Crusader may have also encountered Prester John during the Third Crusade.

MARVEL FANFARE #53
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Valinor, Richard I, Philip II, Leopold of Austria, Conrad of Montferrat, Al-Adil, Hassan ibn Sabbah, Karna, Saladin (BTS)
Synopsis: Richard summons Black Knight to approach Saladin with an offer to exchange Saracen captives to Saladin for the True Cross. Philip and Conrad plot against Richard. Black Knight meets Al-Adin, but is then abducted by Karna (riding Valinor) and taken to sorcerer Hassan ibn Sabbah. Black Knight, because he has three souls dwelling within him, resists Hassan and departs on Valinor, but returning to Richard's camp, discovers that the Saracen prisoners have been put to death.
Notes: This story occurs in "this year of our lord, 1191." Black Knight mentions he has not spoken to Richard since he rescued him in DEF 11. Both DEF 11 and M/FAN 53 confirm that the spirit of Sir Percy resides in the body of the Black Knight alongside Eobar Garrington and Dane Whitman.

MARVEL FANFARE #54
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Valinor, Richard I, Philip II, Leopold of Austria, Conrad of Montferrat, Hassan ibn Sabbah, Karna, Prestor John
Synopsis: Black Knight confronts Richard over the executions of the Saracens, and then departs on Valinor. Philip gathers the French forces and abandons the Third Crusade. Hassan ibn Sabbah, whom Conrad secretly works for, uses his magic to make Richard ill. Black Knight rescues the young Prester John, and they defend Richard from assassins. After they defeat Hassan, Richard knights the Black Knight but then banishes him. Prestor John remains with Richard.
Notes: This story occurs on July 31, 1191, when Philip withdrew from the Third Crusade, and immediately after M/FAN 53. Reference to "September 1191" (All-New OHOTMU A-Z #8) is erroneous.

IDEAL #4 (30:5 - 31:3)
Characters: Richard I, Berengaria, Alais
Synopsis: Richard learns from a guard that Philip intends to conquer England while Richard remains in the Holy Land.

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #73/3-FB
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Valinor, Richard I, Saladin, Rashid ad-Din Sinan (BTS)
Synopsis: Richard is on his deathbed and he sends Black Knight to assassinate Saladin. Finding the camp, Black Knight battles Saladin, even as they defend themselves from assassins sent by Rashid ad-Din Sinan. Eobar is unable to kill Saladin due to Dane's memories of the future, and Eobar is held for several weeks before being ransomed back to Richard.
Notes: "1191" and after the Saracens took the city of Daron. This story must occur after M/FAN 53-54, as Black Knight rides Valinor and he mentions the steed is sustained by magic. This also indicates that the banishment Richard placed upon Black Knight in M/FAN 54 has since been lifted. The disease Richard suffers from may be a continuation of the sickness Hassan ibn Sabbah inflicted him with in M/FAN 54, but Richard undoubtably recovers.

ASTONISHING #47/2-FB
Characters: Richard I, Norman Hale
Synopsis: Richard marches with his men, which unknowing includes the immortal Norman Hale.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (44:1)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Richard I
Synopsis: Richard and Robin Hood battle Saracens during the Third Crusade.
Notes: Either during or after the Third Crusade, Robin Hood returned to England, and presumably due to the corrupt rule of Prince John during the absence of King Richard, Robin temporarily resumed his outlaw career, as seen in M/CC 16.

AVENGERS #264-FB
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman)
Synopsis: The Black Knight battles Saracens.
Notes: During "the 12th century," where Dane Whitman would remain for "five years."

MARVEL SUPER-HEROES v3 #4/6-FB
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Kalmari
Synopsis: The Black Knight kills the sorcerer Kalmari in a swamp, leaving only his amulet behind.
Notes: During "the twelfth century."

BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS (6:4 - 6:5)-FB
Synopsis: Black Knight slays enemies with his Ebony Blade.

CLANDESTINE #5-FB
Characters: Richard I, Adam Destine
Synopsis: Adam of Destine accompanies King Richard and his forces across the deserts of the Holy Land.
Notes: As Richard, Adam and their army is shown crossing a desert, the reference to "in 1189, the clergy called for strong young men to fight the good fight in the Holy Land" refers to when the English army began recruiting for the Third Crusade. Richard did not arrive in the Holy Land until 1191.

CLANDESTINE #5-FB
Characters: Adam Destine, Elalyth, Al Kadhdhaab, Sujanaa min Raghbah
Synopsis: During the Third Crusade, Al Kadhdhaab contacts Adam of Destine, and they journey for weeks to the Zagross Mountains in Persia. Adam rescues the djinn Elalyth from Sujanaa min Raghbah and becomes immortal.
Notes: "By 1191," Adam was "a seasoned veteran of battles at Acre, Arsuf and Jaffa," sometime placing it after as the Battle of Arsuf on September 7, 1191.

BATTLEFIELD #10/2
Characters: Richard I, Saladin, Robert of the Sword, Sir Henry of Navarre
Synopsis: The forces of Richard and Saladin engage in one of their final battles. Richard's squire is Robert of the Sword, who is injured by an arrow but survives. Saladin is defeated by Richard in personal combat, and agrees to sue for peace.
Notes: This story probably occurs shortly before September 2, 1191, as the Third Crusade ended with a truce between Richard and Saladin with the Treaty of Jaffa on September 2, 1192. Richard departs the Holy Land on October 9, 1192, but on the way back he is taken hostage by Leopold of Austria, and he is ransomed and released on February 4, 1194. After his return to Europe, Richard presumably again assumes the guise of the Black Knight (an identity he used previously in IDEAL 4 (2:3 - 12)) to travel incognito (as seen in M/CC 16).

BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS (1 - 37)
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington (dies)/Dane Whitman), Exodus (Bennet du Paris), Apocalyspe (En Sabah Nur), Sahreed
Synopsis: Black Knight is possessed by the mind of a later version of Dane Whitman from the modern era, accompanied by a time traveling Sersei. Apocalypse transforms Bennet du Paris into Exodus, and the soul of Eobar Garrington passes on, although Dane retains use of his body.
Notes: Probably after the end of the Third Crusade in 1192, with Eobar and Bennetwandering the desert for "the past year," but before the death of the body of Eobar Garrington in 1196.

BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS (38)
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington's body/Dane Whitman), Exodus
Synopsis: Black Knight and Sersei find the tomb of Exodus in the Swiss Alps.
Notes: "Six long months" after BK:E (1 - 37).

CABLE v2 #30
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington's body/Dane Whitman), Exodus
Synopsis: Black Knight discusses Exodus with two other knights.

BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS
Synopsis: Black Knight leaves the tomb of Exodus under the care of the two knights. His soul returns to the modern ear with Sersei.

IDEAL #4 (31:4 - 31:7)
Synopsis: Richard and several of his men ride on horseback to return to England.
Notes: As originally seen in IDEAL 4, the events of the Third Crusade were shortened to an apparent duration of only weeks, when it actually occurred 1189 to 1192. Richard had been depicted leaving Israel immediately after the departure of Philip in 1191, but in reality he did not return to Europe until after February 4, 1194.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #16 (2 - 48:4)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Friar Tuck, Richard I (as Black Knight), Wilfred of Ivanhoe, Cedric of Rotherwood, Gurth, Wamba, Lady Rowena, Ulrica, Isaac of York, Rebecca of York, Lord Athelstane of Coningsburgh, Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert, Reginald Front-de-Boeuf, Maurice de Bracy, Lucas de Beaumanoir, Conrade de Montfichet, Prior Aymer
Synopsis: Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert, Reginald Front-de-Boeuf, Maurice de Bracy and their militia disguise themselves as outlaws and abduct Wilfred of Ivanhoe, Cedric of Rotherwood, Lady Rowena, Lord Athelstane, Isaac of York and his daughter Rebecca. Cedric's servants Gurth and Wamba recruit Robin Hood, Friar Tuck and the Merry Men, as well as the mysterious Black Knight (a disguised King Richard) to rescue them, but during the battle, the rogue Templar Knight de Bracy kidnaps Rebecca and takes her to Templestowe. The Templars intend to kill her as a witch, but she is rescued by Wilfred.
Notes: Sometime after the release of Richard from captivity on February 4, 1194, but before his return as king of England. This story is an adaptation of Ivanhoe (1820) by Sir Walter Scott.

IDEAL #4 (32 - 34:4)
Characters: Richard I, Philip II
Synopsis: In England, King Philip II of France states that Richard was killed by Saladin and he attempts to bring England under his rule. In disguise, Richard denounces Philip, and revealing himself, defeats Philip in a swordfight and has him returned to France.
Notes: Sometime after the release of Richard from captivity on February 4, 1194. Richard still traveled in disguise but had apparently ceased using the Black Knight identity.

IDEAL #4 (34:5 - 34:6)
Characters: Richard I, Berengaria
Synopsis: Richard is reunited with Berengaria as she returns to England a few days after he defeats Philip.
Notes: Berengaria returned "after a long wait of many empty days" following the defeat of Philip. Presumably after this, Richard contacted his former companion Robin Hood, who had temporarily resumed his outlawry in Sherwood during Richard's absence, to publicly return with him to London.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (44:2)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Richard I
Synopsis: With the public return of King Richard from the Third Crusade, Richard and Robin Hood return on horseback to London in a triumphant march.
Notes: Sometime after the release of Richard from captivity on February 4, 1194.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #16 (48:5 - 48:6)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Friar Tuck, Richard I, Wilfred of Ivanhoe, Cedric of Rotherwood, Lady Rowena
Synopsis: Wilfred of Ivanhoe and Lady Rowena are wed. King Richard, Robin Hood, Friar Tuck and Cedric attend.
Notes: This story is an adaptation of Ivanhoe (1820) by Sir Walter Scott.

AVENGERS #225-FB
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington's body/Dane Whitman), Valinor
Synopsis: The Black Knight rides Valinor.
Notes: During "the 12th century."

AVENGERS #225
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington's body/Dane Whitman), Amergin
Synopsis: Black Knight, Amergin and the time traveling Avengers battle the Fomor in Avalon.
Notes: During "the 12th century." Dane has been in the past for "five years" and "half a decade" after his arrival in 1191, so this is probably 1196.

AVENGERS #226
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington's body/Dane Whitman), Amergin, Valinor
Synopsis: Amergin restores Black Knight to the present in his proper body, although the body of Eobar arrington dies. Valinot is also brought to the present.
Notes: During "the 12th century," probably 1196. Presumably Sir Percy also ceased sharing the body at this time.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (44:3)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Richard I, Prince John
Synopsis: Prince John and Robin Hood attend the court of King Richard. Richard plans on soon departing England again for war.
Notes: Richard spend much time away from England in numerous foreign wars, but this could be no later than March of 1199, as on March 25, 1199, he was fatally wounded in Limousin, France, and died on April 6, 1199.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (44:4)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Prince John
Synopsis: King Richard has left England, and Prince John reigns as his regent. He despises Robin Hood for refusing to help seize the throne in Richard's absence.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (45 - 46:1)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Will Scarlet, Little John, Maid Marian, Much the Miller's Son, Friar Tuck, Allan-A-Dale, King Richard (dies BTS), King John (BTS)
Synopsis: Robin and the Merry Men return to Sherwood Forest, and learn of the death of Richard is France. John becomes the new king and makes Robin an outlaw again.
Notes: This story occurs around and after April of 1199, with reference to the death of Richard on April 6, 1199.

FANTASTIC FOUR #54-FB
Characters: Prester John
Synopsis: His service with King Richard at an end, Prester John begins to travel the world.
Notes: Prester John began wandering "after leaving the service of Richard, who died in 1199" (All-New OHOTMU A-Z #8).

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (46:2)
Synopsis: Robin and the Merry Men continue as outlaws in Sherwood Forest for the next 22 years, doing battle with the forces of King John.
Notes: These events occurs between the death of Richard in 1199 and Fandral returning to Asgard in 1221.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (8:4 - 9:2)-FB
Synopsis: Robin Hood sees Marian slowly grow old and they move to a secluded estate.
Notes: These events occurs between the death of Richard in 1199 and Fandral returning to Asgard in 1221.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (9:3)-FB
Synopsis: Robin Hood stands over Marian's grave.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (46:3)
Synopsis: Robin Hood stands over the graves of Marian and Friar Tuck.
Notes: Tuck probably died after Marian, as her grave stood alone in TSTRK 18/2-FB, but it stood alongside Tuck's grave in M/CC 34.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (46:6)-FB
Characters: King John, Prioress of the Kirkley Nunnery
Synopsis: King John orders the Prioress of the Kirkley Nunnery to betray Robin Hood.
Notes: This occurred sometime before the death of King John in 1216.

MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #34 (46:4 - 48)
Characters: Fandral (as Robin Hood), Little John, Prioress of the Kirkley Nunnery
Synopsis: Robin Hood becomes weak and Little John takes him to the Prioress of the Kirkley Nunnery for healing, but she poisons him and apparently kills him.
Notes: Robin appears to have survived the poisoning, probably due to his Asgardian endurance.

THUNDERSTRIKE #18/2 (9:4 - 10:1)-FB
Characters: Fandral
Synopsis: Fandral returns to Asgard.
Notes: As Robin Hood, Fandral dwelled in Sherwood for "twenty years and two" (M/CC 34) after the death of Richard in 1199, so he probably returned to Asgard around 1221.

THOR #400/2-FB
Characters: Fandral, Volstagg
Synopsis: Fandral first encounters Volstagg in Asgard.
Notes: In TSTRK 18/2, Fandral states that when he returned from Earth to Asgard, that "shortly thereafter, I first encountered the voluminous Volstagg."

KNIGHTS OF PENDRAGON #18
Characters: Little John, Black Panther
Synopsis: In the modern era, the Green Knight summons those who had possessed Pendragon spirits in the past to defend Otherworld. Among those summoned are Little John and the Black Panther (T'Challa).
Notes: At some point in the past it appears both Robin Hood (Fandral) and Little John were possessed and augmented by Pendragon spirits. Note that while Black Panther was possessed and his abilities enhanced by the same spirit that once possessed Robin Hood, Black Panther himself is not a reincarnation of Robin Hood.

Robin Hood seen in TOMB OF DRACULA #49 was a fictionalized version in the mind of Angie Turner. Robin Hood and Ivanhoe from FANTASTIC FOUR: TRUE STORY #1-4 were fictional versions of the characters from the "Land of Fiction."

A-BLAND, ARTHUR
M/CC 34

A-DALE, ALLAN
M/CC 34 (2 - 37)
{YOUNG ALLIES 7/2}
M/CC 34 (38 - 48)

AL-ADIL/AL-MALIK AL-ADIL SAYF AD-DIN ABU-BAKR AHMED IBN NAJM AD-DIN AYYUB
{M/FAN 52}
M/FAN 53

AL KADHDHAAB
CLAN 5-FB

ALAIS OF FRANCE, COUNTESS OF THE VEXIN
IDEAL 4

AMERGIN
A 225-FB
{A 225}
A 226

ATHELSTANE OF CONINGSBURGH
M/CC 16

AYMER, PRIOR
M/CC 16

BERENGARIA OF NAVARRE, QUEEN OF ENGLAND
IDEAL 4

BLACK DUKE
IH2 284

BLACK KNIGHT/SIR PERCY OF SCANDIA
MYSARC:BK /2
*M/FAN 52 (2:1 - 2:3)-FB-BTS
*BK:E (6:2)-FB-BTS
*DEF 11-BTS
*M/FAN 52-BTS
*M/FAN 53-BTS
*M/FAN 54-BTS
*M/CP 73/3-FB-BTS
*A 264-FB-BTS
*M/S-H3 4/6-FB-BTS
*BK:E (6:4 - 6:5)-FB-BTS
*BK:E (1 - 38)-BTS
*C2 30-BTS
*BK:E (39)-BTS
*A 225-FB-BTS
*A 225-BTS
*A 226-BTS
A 48-BTS
{M/S-H 17}

BLACK KNIGHT III/EOBAR GARRINGTON
*M/FAN 52 (2:1 - 2:3)-FB
*BK:E (6:2)-FB
*{DEF 11}
*M/FAN 52
*M/FAN 53
*M/FAN 54
*M/CP 73/3-FB
*A 264-FB
*M/S-H3 4/6-FB
*BK:E (6:4 - 6:5)-FB
*BK:E (1 - 38)
*C2 30
*BK:E (39)
A 225-FB
A 225
A 226

BLACK KNIGHT V/DANE WHITMAN
DEF 8/2
*M/FAN 52 (2:1 - 2:3)-FB
*BK:E (6:2)-FB
*DEF 11
*M/FAN 52
*M/FAN 53
*M/FAN 54
*M/CP 73/3-FB
*A 264-FB
*M/S-H3 4/6-FB
*BK:E (6:4 - 6:5)-FB
*BK:E (1 - 38)
*C2 30
*BK:E (39)
A 225-FB
A 225
A 226
HC 1/2

CEDRIC OF ROTHERWOOD
M/CC 16

CHANDU
{DEF 11}
A@ 22

CONRAD OF MONTFERRAT
{M/FAN 53}
M/FAN 54

CRUSADER/LORD O'DARE/EL ALEMAIN/"THE HAWK"
{BK 1/2}
BK 2/3
BK 3/3
BK 4/3
BK 5/3

DE BEAUMANOIR, LUCAS
M/CC 16

DE BOIS-GUILBERT, SIR BRIAN
M/CC 16

DE BRACY, MAURICE
M/CC 16

DE MONTFICHET, CONRADE
M/CC 16

DE MONTFORT, SIR GUY, LORD OF SIDON
{BK 2/3}
BK 3/3
BK 4/3
BK 5/3

DE QUINCY, SIR ROBERT, LORD OF BUCKLEY
{BK 3/3}
BK 4/3

FANDRAL/"ROBIN HOOD"/"ROBERT OF LOCKSLEY"/"SIR ROBERT, EARL OF HUNTINGDON"
T:AGES
T:TRIAL
T:RAGE
T:MAN
T 294-FB
*TSTRK 18/2 (3:5 - 5:4)-FB
*M/CC 34 (33:1 - 33:2, 34:4)-FB
*M/CC 34 (2 - 37)
*{YOUNG ALLIES 7/2}
*IH2 284
*TSTRK 18/2 (7:2 - 7:5)-FB
*M/CC 34 (38 - 43:5)
*TSTRK 18/2 (8:1 - 8:2)-FB
*M/CC 34 (43:6)
*TSTRK 18/2 (8:3)-FB
*M/CC 34 (44:1)
*M/CC 16 (2 - 48:4)
*M/CC 34 (44:2)
*M/CC 16 (48:5 - 48:6)
*M/CC 34 (44:3 - 46:2)
*TSTRK 18/2 (8:4 - 9:3)-FB
*M/CC 34 (46:3 - 48)
*TSTRK 18/2 (9:4 - 10:1)-FB
T 400/2-FB
T:SOA 5
M/S-H3 5
*T̶S̶T̶R̶K̶ ̶1̶8̶/̶2̶ ̶(̶3̶:̶5̶ ̶-̶ ̶5̶:̶4̶)̶-̶F̶B̶ [remove]
*I̶H̶2̶ ̶2̶8̶4̶ [remove]
*T̶S̶T̶R̶K̶ ̶1̶8̶/̶2̶ ̶(̶7̶:̶2̶ ̶-̶ ̶1̶0̶:̶1̶)̶-̶F̶B̶ [remove]
M/:LG 5

FORTUNO
BK 4/3

FRONT-DE-BOEUF, REGINALD
M/CC 16

GARLDOFF THE GARGANTUAN ONE
TSTRK 18/2-FB

GEOFFREY II, DUKE OF BRITANNY
IDEAL 4

GEORGE OF SCOTLAND, SIR
IDEAL 4

GERLAINE
BK 1/2

GURTH
M/CC 16

HALE, NORMAN
ASTON 47/2-FB
ASTON 47/2

HENRY THE YOUNG KING
IDEAL 4

HENRY II, KING OF ENGLAND/HENRY CURTMANTLE FITZEMPRESS
IDEAL 4

HENRY OF NAVARRE, SIR
BFIELD 10/2

HINDEN, BARON
BK 5/3

IBN SABBAH, HASSAN
{M/FAN 53}
M/FAN 54

ISAAC OF YORK
M/CC 16

JACQUET
BK 3/3

JOHN, KING OF ENGLAND/JOHN LACKLAND
TSTRK 18/2 (8:1)-FB-BTS
{DEF 11}
M/CC 34 (44:3 - 44:4)
M/CC 34 (45 - 46:1)-BTS
M/CC 34 (46:6)-FB

KARNA
{M/FAN 53}
M/FAN 54

KHAN, TENGA
BK 1/2

LEOPOLD V, DUKE OF AUSTRIA
{M/FAN 53}
M/FAN 54

LITTLE JOHN/JOHN LITTLE
M/CC 34 (2 - 37)
{YOUNG ALLIES 7/2}
IH2 284
TSTRK 18/2 (7:2)-FB
M/CC 34 (38 - 44)
TSTRK 18/2 (8:1)-FB
M/CC 34 (45 - 48)
KOP 18

LOIN, SIR
YOUNG ALLIES 7/2

MARIAN, MAID
TSTRK 18/2 (3:5 - 5:4)-FB
M/CC 34 (33:1 - 33:2, 34:4)-FB
{M/CC 34 (2 - 43:5)}
TSTRK 18/2 (7:4 - 8:2)-FB
M/CC 34 (43:6)
TSTRK 18/2 (8:3)-FB
M/CC 34 (45 - 48)
TSTRK 18/2 (8:4 - 9:2)-FB

MIN RAGHBAH, SUJANAA
CLAN 5-FB

MOLOCH
M/FAN 52

MUCH THE MILLER'S SON
M/CC 34

O'DARE, SIR JOHN
BK 1/2

PETER THE HERMIT
IDEAL 4

PHILIP II, KING OF FRANCE/PHILIP AUGUSTUS
{IDEAL 4 (1:2 - 30:4)}
M/FAN 53
M/FAN 54
IDEAL 4 (32 - 34:4)

PRESTER JOHN/JOHANN
*M/FAN 54
FF 54-FB
T@ 17-FB
T@ 17
{FF 54}

PRIORESS OF THE KIRKLEY NUNNERY
M/CC 34 (46:6)-FB
M/CC 34

REBECCA OF YORK
M/CC 16

RICHARD I, KING OF ENGLAND/RICHARD THE LIONHEARTED/RICHARD COEUR DE LION/"BLACK KNIGHT"
{IDEAL 4 (2:3 - 13)}
M/CC 34 (38:2)-FB
M/CC 34 (38 - 43:5)
TSTRK 18/2 (8:1 - 8:2)-FB
M/CC 34 (43:6)
IDEAL 4 (14 - 18:5)
M/FAN 52 (2:1 - 2:3)-FB
BK:E (6:2)-FB
DEF 11
IDEAL 4 (18:6 - 30:4)
BK 2/3
BK 3/3
BK 4/3
BK 5/3
M/FAN 53
M/FAN 54
IDEAL 4 (30:5 - 31:3)
M/CP 73/3-FB
ASTON 47/2-FB
M/CC 34 (44:1)
CLAN 5-FB
BFIELD 10/2
IDEAL 4 (31:4 - 31:7)
M/CC 16 (2 - 48:4)
IDEAL 4 (32 - 34)
M/CC 34 (44:2)
M/CC 16 (48:5 - 48:6)
M/CC 34 (44:3)
M/CC 34 (45 - 46:1)-BTS

ROBERT OF THE SWORD
BFIELD 10/2

ROWENA, LADY
M/CC 16

SALADIN/SALAH AD-DIN YUSUF IBN AYYUB
IDEAL 4 (15:6)-FB
{IDEAL 4}
BK 2/3
BK 4/3
BK 5/3
M/FAN 53-BTS
M/CP 73/3-FB
BFIELD 10/2

SCARLET, WILL
{M/CC 34 (2 - 37)}
M/CC 34 (38 - 48)

SHERIFF OF NOTTINGHAM
M/CC 34 (2 - 37)
M/CC 34 (38:2)-FB

TEMAX
DEF 11

TUCK, FRIAR
M/CC 34 (2 - 37)
{YOUNG ALLIES 7/2}
M/CC 34 (38 - 44)
TSTRK 18/2 (8:1)-FB
M/CC 16
M/CC 34 (45 - 48)

TYME, TOMMY
{YOUNG ALLIES 7/2}

ULRICA
M/CC 16

VALINOR
*M̶/̶F̶A̶N̶ ̶5̶2̶ [remove]
M/FAN 53
M/FAN 54
*M/CP 73/3-FB
{A 225-FB}
A 226
HC 1/2

WALTER, SIR HERBERT
IDEAL 4

WAMBA
M/CC 16

WILFRED OF IVANHOE
M/CC 16

WILLIAM OF YORK
M/CC 34

A - AVENGERS
ASTON - ASTONISHING
BFIELD - BATTLEFIELD
BK - BLACK KNIGHT
BK:E - BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS
C2 - CABLE v2
CLAN - CLANDESTINE
DEF - DEFENDERS
FF - FANTASTIC FOUR
IDEAL - IDEAL
IH2 - INCREDIBLE HULK v2
M/CC - MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS
M/CP - MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS
M/FAN - MARVEL FANFARE
M/S-H3 - MARVEL SUPER-HEROES v3
TSTRK - THUNDERSTRIKE
YOUNG ALLIES - YOUNG ALLIES
Last edited by wolframbane on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: ROBIN HOOD (FANDRAL), KING RICHARD THE LIONHEARTED AND THE THIRD CRUSADE

Post by DonCampbell »

wolframbane wrote:DEFENDERS #11
Characters: Richard I, Prince John, Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Temax, Chandu
Synopsis: In Cyprus, Richard has been abducted by an alliance of Prince John, the wizard Chandu, and a resurrected Modred the Evil. The Black Knight and the time traveling Defenders rescue Richard, and the time traveling Prestor John recovers the Evil Eye.
Notes: During "the twelfth century" and "in the middle of the Crusades." Richard states that "the one called the Black Knight -- who joined us from nowhere -- in the final days -- before our capture --" indicates this story occurred shortly after Black Knight appeared in the twelfth century in M/FAN 52 (2:1 - 2:3)-FB. Both DEF 11 and M/FAN 53 confirm that the spirit of Sir Percy resides in the body of the Black Knight alongside Eobar Garrington and Dane Whitman. Chandu later appears in A@ 22. M/FAN 53 confirms this story occurred in Cyprus.

MARVEL FANFARE #54
Characters: Black Knight (Sir Percy of Scandia (BTS)/Eobar Garrington/Dane Whitman), Valinor, Richard I, Philip II, Leopold of Austria, Conrad of Montferrat, Hassan ibn Sabbah, Karna, Prestor John
Synopsis: Black Knight confronts Richard over the executions of the Saracens, and then departs on Valinor. Philip gathers the French forces and abandons the Third Crusade. Hassan ibn Sabbah, whom Conrad secretly works for, uses his magic to make Richard ill. Black Knight rescues the young Prester John, and they defend Richard from assassins. After they defeat Hassan, Richard knights the Black Knight but then banishes him. Prestor John remains with Richard.
Notes: This story occurs on July 31, 1191, when Philip withdrew from the Third Crusade, and immediately after M/FAN 53. Reference to "September 1191" (All-New OHOTMU A-Z #8) is erroneous.
There are a couple of bits of data that you might wish to consider. They've generally been ignored by official sources because of the contradictions they cause but they're worth acknowledging.

First, in DEFENDERS #11, when Prester John appears out of nowhere to recover the Evil Eye, Prince John recognizes him as a man who "served Richard from time to time" and identifies him as "Prester John." Before sending the other Defenders back to their future, Prester John suggests that Dane Whitman stay in the Twelfth Century.

Second, in MARVEL FANFARE #54, the Black Knight comes to the rescue of a red-haired young crusader who is fighting against five Saracens. The German crusader mentions that when he left the priesthood to fight for God he had no idea that he would be fighting so soon, indicating that this was one of his earliest experiences with combat. He further reveals that the other crusaders mock him by calling him "Priest" instead of "Johann" and that they sometimes call him "Prester John." Hearing this. the Black Knight realizes that this "boy" will become the time traveler who convinced him to stay in the Twelfth Century.

As you can see, there is a chronological conflict here. If Johann had already served King Richard "from time to time" before Richard and John arrived in Cyprus, then it seems unlikely that he would be as much of a novice as he appeared to be when the Black Knight rescued him. And if this service predated the Third Crusade, as was implied in the Defenders story, then Johann would have been a) living in Germany and b) still training for the priesthood during the period in which Prester John was (sometimes) serving King Richard.

There's also the fact that although Prince John was able to recognize Prester John on sight, the Black Knight did not do so with Johann and only realized who he was after hearing that the other crusaders mocked the novice by calling him "Prester John."

So, is Johann really a younger version of Prester John? Or did the other crusaders mock him by calling him by the name of another person, an accomplished warrior, the real Prester John?

Don't misunderstand me, I have no doubt that writer Steven Grant truly intended that Johann and Prester John be the same person at different points in their life. I just think that this idea is weakened by the fact that Prester John had already served King Richard for some time prior to the Third Crusade. As a consequence, in my opinion, it would be better if Johann and Prester John were actually two separate people and Dane Whitman just jumped to a wrong conclusion. Plus, there's also the fact that, at least in the real world, the legend of Prester John was known as early as 1158 A.D., over 30 years before the Third Crusade began. If we're accepting real world history as our guide, then that should have some bearing.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

This is very interesting. Here are a couple other stories that are worth taking note of as well:

Astonishing #47 (third story); Richard the Lionheart appearance
Battlefield #10 (second story); Richard the Lionheart appearance
Marvel Classics Comics #16; Ivanhoe
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I guess ignore my comment about Marvel Classics Comics #16. I must have missed that it's included when I skimmed the original post. :oops:
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

vanhornluke wrote:This is very interesting. Here are a couple other stories that are worth taking note of as well:

Thank you much!! I must have overlooked those tales. I now have them incorporated into the write up.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

DonCampbell wrote: There are a couple of bits of data that you might wish to consider. They've generally been ignored by official sources because of the contradictions they cause but they're worth acknowledging.
I appreciate the feedback. Prester John is one of those characters that make chronology construction very... challenging, is the word I am gonna use. I used the Prester John bio from All-New OHOTMU A-Z #8 as a basis for his inclusion, but time traveling always makes for odd bedfellows. For my Marvel Timeline (under construction), Prester John show up all over the place.

Another notable note about Prester John, in the Marvel Universe he is also the descendant of one of the Three Kings/Three Wise Men/Magi of the Nativity, either Melchior, Balthasar or Gaspar. Which also means he is possibly a descendant of the Wise Man, a cosmic alien who appeared as one of the Three Kings, according to MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #17/3.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

wolframbane wrote:
vanhornluke wrote:This is very interesting. Here are a couple other stories that are worth taking note of as well:

Thank you much!! I must have overlooked those tales. I now have them incorporated into the write up.
My pleasure! I hope you plan on doing similar posts for other historical figures, which are often overlooked by the handbooks/indices, but nevertheless have interesting Marvel appearances (e.g., Aladdin, Three Musketeers, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid, Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun, Stalin, Joan of Arc, various biblical figures, Julius Caesar, Nero, etc.).
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

vanhornluke wrote: My pleasure! I hope you plan on doing similar posts for other historical figures, which are often overlooked by the handbooks/indices, but nevertheless have interesting Marvel appearances (e.g., Aladdin, Three Musketeers, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid, Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun, Stalin, Joan of Arc, various biblical figures, Julius Caesar, Nero, etc.).
That is something I may do at some point in the near future. I am actually working on a Marvel Universe Timeline, which encompasses the history of the MU in its entirety. My analysis of the Third Crusade and Robin Hood were just a natural extension of this.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

wolframbane wrote:
vanhornluke wrote: My pleasure! I hope you plan on doing similar posts for other historical figures, which are often overlooked by the handbooks/indices, but nevertheless have interesting Marvel appearances (e.g., Aladdin, Three Musketeers, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid, Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun, Stalin, Joan of Arc, various biblical figures, Julius Caesar, Nero, etc.).
That is something I may do at some point in the near future. I am actually working on a Marvel Universe Timeline, which encompasses the history of the MU in its entirety. My analysis of the Third Crusade and Robin Hood were just a natural extension of this.
Cool! Are you beginning with Earth-92131, since it's Galactus's home universe?
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

vanhornluke wrote: Cool! Are you beginning with Earth-92131, since it's Galactus's home universe?
With some of the revelations of the nature of the Marvel Universe since Secret Wars, what with Galactus' universe being the "6th Iteration of the MU," the Pre-SW universe as the 7th and the post-SW universe as the 8th (see http://marvel.com/news/comics/25459/iso ... l_universe ), the nature of time in the MU just became more complicated. I look forward to seeing how it evolves.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding the Marvel Timeline I am working on.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

wolframbane wrote:CHANDU
{DEF 11}
A@ 22
We already have Chandu listed, under Alchemist. I'm aware that he might be "an" alchemist, rather than "the" alchemist, but nonetheless, we already have the listing.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

As an aside, the reason why Marvel writers implied Fandral was Robin Hood is the dual connection to actor Errol Flynn. Fandral is based on Flynn and Flynn played Robin Hood.